UBCD3600XLT Trunking Discovery

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

UBCD3600XLT Trunking Discovery

Postby fazer600 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Hello People. I'm slowly working my way through the manual for the UBCD3600XLT and I was wondering if anybody can help me with a dummies guide for Trunking Discovery. I've done a conventional discovery for FM Broadcast Band but I’m completely stuck with Trunking Discovery.

The manual says this ...

Note: The system must be enabled for scan to input system name

For the life of me I can't figure out what to do, or find any reference in the manual to enable the system I want to discover, MotoTRBO Trunk for example. I've tried adding a new favourites list with MotoTRBO Trunk as the system thinking this would enable it, then going back to Trunk Discovery but that's obviously not correct because the scanner says ...

Select System. No System Found Matching Your Entry

I'm sure it's as easy as 123 when you know how but i can't see the wood for the trees

Regards
Shaun
fazer600

Re: UBCD3600XLT Trunking Discovery

Postby Metradio » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:52 pm

You might find this page of use:
http://new.marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

the 436 is the American version of the 3600..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby scalp99 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 am

fazer600 wrote:Hello People. I'm slowly working my way through the manual for the UBCD3600XLT and I was wondering if anybody can help me with a dummies guide for Trunking Discovery. I've done a conventional discovery for FM Broadcast Band but I’m completely stuck with Trunking Discovery.

I think I can help - I was in the same situation a few days ago!

First, create the system as MotoTRBO, either in an existing or new favourites list. Next create the site and add in the frequencies - you also need an LCN here eventually (I'll get back to that) but for now just press enter and leave it blank. Go back 2 steps to the system menu and create a new department but don't add any channels, just select edit department then create new department then go back to the system menu again. Next scroll up to "edit system menu" and in there select "ID Search" and switch it to on. Now the system is almost ready but in order for the trunk tracking to work you need to find the LCN.

In the main menu there is an "Analyze" option. Select this, then select "EDACS/LTR/DMR LCN Finder". At "input system name" you don't need to type anything - just push the scroll dial down or press the yes button and all correctly programmed systems will appear. Select the correct one, then select the site on the next page and press enter. The message "LCN Finder Searching" will appear with 0/x found (where x is the number of frequencies you programmed). This can take a while to run, depending on how many frequencies you entered and how busy the system is. It's important to make sure that all the frequencies you programmed into the site belong to the same trunk network. Also try to position the scanner so it gets maximum signal strength as it should run faster.

Once this has finished the message "All LCN's found" or similar appears (although it doesn't actually show you what they are) - follow the instructions to save the LCN's to the correct frequencies. It may be worth going back into the site >set frequencies menu and checking the frequencies you entered earlier and making sure the LCN's have been added, and also noting them down in case you accidentally delete the site. Just keep pressing enter and don't type anything in. If you end up with non-consecutive LCN's, ie 1/2/4 then you're missing a frequency! Next you can go into trunking discovery and start the searching process, which should be easy now!

Hope this helps (and works!).
scalp99

Postby fazer600 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Metradio wrote:You might find this page of use:
http://new.marksscanners.com/536/436_536.shtml

the 436 is the American version of the 3600..

Mike

Thanks for that Mike, Uniden could learn a thing or two from that page.

scalp99 wrote: I think I can help - I was in the same situation a few days ago!

Thanks for that comprehensive guide, that was just what I needed. It was all going well until the “LCN Finder Searching” part, at that point it didn't do anything for about half an hour so I stopped it, then I put just one new frequency in and did the LCN Finder a second time and it still didn't find anything. At that point I decided to have ago and see if the Trunking Discovery would work and I can report that it did work, it didn't find anything but it did work this time so that's a good start! It looks like i'm going to be playing with this thing for a few weeks to get the hang of it :dizzy:

I have to ask the question, how the hell did you figure that out from the manual, or did that come from other sources on the web? I’m looking at the Easier to Read Scanner Manual that mike posted above because it's 100% better than the manual that came with the scanner!
fazer600

Postby scalp99 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:24 pm

fazer600 wrote:I have to ask the question, how the hell did you figure that out from the manual, or did that come from other sources on the web? I’m looking at the Easier to Read Scanner Manual that mike posted above because it's 100% better than the manual that came with the scanner!

I managed to get a few hints & tips from the RadioReference "Uniden tech support"forum, https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/. There seem to be quite a few similarities between the recent Uniden scanners so it's worth reading any relevant issues even for different scanners and not just for the BCD436 (you won't find many references to the 3600 in that forum!) - in most cases it's just a question of them using different key presses. The only problem is that for most programming questions, ie "how do I programme my local police system" the response is basically just download it from the database and you're all set - not much help for us in the UK!

Just a question about the system you're trying to programme - is it definitely a trunked system, ie displaying CAP/CON etc at the bottom rather than single frequency DMR?
scalp99

Postby fazer600 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:06 pm

scalp99 wrote:Just a question about the system you're trying to programme - is it definitely a trunked system, ie displaying CAP/CON etc at the bottom rather than single frequency DMR?

I'm not sure to be honest, i'll take a look at some point tomorrow because i'm off to bed now. I got the frequency from a post on this forum it was ...
Portsmouth Highbury College, Dovercourt Road (Mototrbo Digital) TX: 165.3000 MHz

I just figured as it was Mototrbo Digital it would be a trunked system but digital scanning is new to me so i guess i've got it all wrong!

Thanks for your help, i'll report back tomorrow
fazer600

Postby Minus1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:21 pm

To have something included in a scan (and thus to be discoverable), you have to ensure ALL of these settings are correct:

• Fav List Monitor ON
  • FL QK enabled
  • System QK enabled
  • Dept QK enabled
  • FL stop avoiding
  • System stop avoiding
  • Dept stop avoiding
  • Channel stop avoiding
  • Relevant Service Type enabled
  • Fav List use location = OFF or (use location = ON AND Dept in range of current location)

This is absurdly complex to keep in your head, and it is pathetic that Uniden do not provide it as a checklist so you can easily see WHY something is not working.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Return to DMR & Digital Modes