Newbie DMR question - TYT MD-380

Everything Ham Radio in here, Frequencies, Equipment, Repairs, Mods, Licensing and More

Newbie DMR question - TYT MD-380

Postby Sid » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi all,

I found nothing definitive on this (unless I'm being thick... :laughs: )
As you know, I don't have my licence yet and won't be taking it until the new year.

However, I'm looking at buying a TYT MD-380 so I can learn about DMR in the meantime.
My question is, can I use this to listen in on DMR without having the radio code that you apply for?
Can I assume that I can still use this to listen in on analogue as well?, in other words my local repeater?

Cheers
Sid

Re: Newbie DMR question - TYT MD-380

Postby G4RMT » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:07 pm

If you visit http://md380.tools/features/ you will find some tools that let you enter what is called promiscuous mode - you need to update the firmware on the radio to do this, with the details on that site. It works fine, and then the radio will let you hear activity without setting in the correct information, you can then update your cqodeplug later. Analogue works normally, so you can enter CTCSS tones as per every other radio. All this is best done from the computer.
G4RMT

Postby Sid » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks G4 - you're a star.
Sid

Postby Sid » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:21 pm

Ok,

I've ordered one through Amazon prime and will have it tmrw.
I looked at that site - thanks G4.

Is it as simple as downloading the file called "Latest MD380 tools firmware non gps" and flashing that to the handset?
sry, I'm a bit dense on this.

Ignoring dmr for the moment, I'm also not sure about how to programme in analog repeaters and saving them to a channel?
Any help appreciated - this is all a bit different to using a normal analog handset.
Sid

Postby G4RMT » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:18 am

Yes, just follow the instructions, and it's like downloading new frequencies, the only difference on mine is an extra screen in the start up, it's there a second or two then the radio looks and works the same and you just have some extras in the menu system. Paul
G4RMT

Postby Sid » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

G4RMT wrote:Yes, just follow the instructions, and it's like downloading new frequencies, the only difference on mine is an extra screen in the start up, it's there a second or two then the radio looks and works the same and you just have some extras in the menu system. Paul

Many thanks Paul... :thumbup:
Sid

Postby Sid » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, she's arrived.
Must say I like the build quality - very impressive.

One thing I don't like is I feel the display looks a bit childish / amateur with the icon of the building and person?. Not sure why they done that tbh.

Anyway, managed to have a play and have programmed in my local repeaters etc. It was easier than I thought.
Mind you, I've not had the balls yet to change the software.... :embarrased:
Sid

Postby Sid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Well I put in the new tyt tools today - very easy, cheers Paul... :thumbup:

Mind you, I really do need not a dummy's guide, but a complete dunce's guide to these sometimes.... :laughs:
I've put in my local analog repeaters etc and the Uk pmr (analog) channels etc and all is fine.

However, I still can't get my head around how to install a codeplug.
I downloaded one today for all digi repeaters in Surrey - but just don't know how to put it on the radio?
Even if I managed it, would it overwrite the stuff I've put on already?

I've had a look around youtube etc, but I'm still confuzzed!... :embarrased:
Sid

Postby G4RMT » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:25 pm

The cqodeplug is just the contents of the radio - so when you build up the channels in your software, as I expect you did to test it out - that's a cqodeplug. Stupid name, no idea where it originated. If you give them all different names, you can mix and match - but you can only have one set of programming in the radio at one time. So if you downloaded one, you bring that into the CPS - just a case of opening the file, then (making sure your radio one has been backed up by saving not on your computer with a sensible name), you just squirt the CPS contents into the radio - that really is it. It's easier than the firmware update you did.

Where I live, I cannot access any amateur digital nodes, access points or repeaters, so while I stuck one in my radio, it soon came out again and something far more simple went in. Think of the radios as stupid, and the radio is only as clever as your cqodeplug.
G4RMT

Postby Sid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks again.

Yep, I'm a bit out in the sticks tbh, so very little traffic.
I can hear the analog Farnham repeater (10 miles away) but not Guildford (20 miles) - unless of course that one is particularly quiet?

In any event, these are nice radios and if I end up using it for just analog, then that's fine.
Also, I treated myself to the MD-390 GPS yesterday. Kinda liked the idea of a waterproof / weatherproof one as well.
Sid

Next

Return to Amateur Radio