BCT15X

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

BCT15X

Postby pikeman01 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:44 pm

well after endless hours trying to set this up properly the bct15x has defeated me to the point of its going in its box and in the wardrobe out of sight spent a lot of time buying a flag pole and putting antenna up at a height of 30 feet bought lmr 400 coax etc just to be defeated by a scanner so tomorrow down comes the antenna etc everything packed away and forget about this hobby this will be my last post pikeman01 :sad: so :sad:
pikeman01

Re: BCT15X

Postby AndrewIrvine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:39 pm

There are plenty of people on here who could help. I managed to 'break' one, apparently you need to switch the radio off before disconnecting the programming lead. I've never seen that written down.
200 miles in 2 days for my 3 children.
https://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Gordon-50

Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, BCT15X
Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888

"I'm listening.."
AndrewIrvine

Postby pikeman01 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Many thanks Andrew just so frustrated with it got 2 systems working managed to put quick keys 1/2 to them managed to put 3 groups in system 1 2 groups in 2 can not put quick keys on them tried to get it to scan like my pro 2035 its having none of that and got a quick key number 9 come up what I can not delete and whe I press function button get a line coming up GRP coming up with a number 3 what I can not delete don't even know where that came from its just loads of little things im doing wrong watched video on utube and looked at marksscanners but not very good with instructions im afraid just so frustrating after endless hours getting nowhere many thanks pikeman01 john :sad:
pikeman01

Postby m0lsx » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 pm

Have you found Marks Scanners easier to read manual?

http://marksscanners.com/BCT15X/bct15x.shtml
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Minus1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:35 am

pikeman01 wrote:Many thanks Andrew just so frustrated with it got 2 systems working managed to put quick keys 1/2 to them managed to put 3 groups in system 1 2 groups in 2 can not put quick keys on them tried to get it to scan like my pro 2035 its having none of that and got a quick key number 9 come up what I can not delete and whe I press function button get a line coming up GRP coming up with a number 3 what I can not delete don't even know where that came from its just loads of little things im doing wrong watched video on utube and looked at marksscanners but not very good with instructions im afraid just so frustrating after endless hours getting nowhere many thanks pikeman01 john :sad:

One word. Punctuation. :rolleyes:

A classic example:

A professor wrote the following sentence on the board and asked his class to punctuate it:
Woman without her man is nothing.

Half of the class punctuated the sentence in the following way:
Woman: without her, man is nothing.

The other half of the class responded with the following:
Woman, without her man, is nothing.

It’s clear, from this example, that punctuation is very important indeed!

Buried deep in the BCT15X manual, is that fact that if you hold on any channel in a system, and hold down the HOLD button for a few seconds, you will get a double bleep. The scanner will then scan just that system, until you hold down the HOLD key again.

Another thing they fail to do is tell you to plan your systems and quick keys BEFORE you start inputing things, because the BCT15X does not list things in any logical order.
I put the quick key in the system name as an aide-memoir, so I don't have to remember them all; and use matching Quick Keys and NumTags as much as possible.
So I have
"1 Business" QK=1 NumTag=1
"2 Military" QK=2 NumTag=2
etc

For my second BCT15X, I cleared the memory and created systems numbered 0 to 469 before I even looked at what to use them for, so that would then be in numerical order in the future.

You are right that Uniden are pretty bad at writing manuals. They confuse people by putting things that ought to be in footnotes in the text, so that it ends up being as readable as a legal document.

Instead of something simple like "To turn on the scanner, turn the volume knob clockwise."
They will say something like: "When in default startup mode, and before pressing a digit key, unless you are already holding on a system, and have that system's quick key enabled…" so you end up confused before you've even got to the instruction.

I don't know wether this is due to poor translation from the original Japanese (Unidens are designed in Japan), nor whether the manuals are written in the US or Japan.

There are a lot of things that Uniden do that are poorly thought out, and could be easily improved if only somebody competent was in charge.

They clearly have some highly-skilled designers but communication with end users (in both directions) is somewhat lacking.

I've long been of the view that some geeky people are so wrapped up in technical jargon that they have largely lost the ability to communicate in English, and it doesn't occur to some companies to employ someone who can translate from geek-talk to plain English.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby pikeman01 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:45 am

hi, many thanks for all your help and comments,have looked at marks scanners can not make head or tail of that could be due to age on the wrong side of 60+ now sorted most things just can not get it to do a general scan hoping to take it to cornwall soon and use it so just want to turn it on and start scanning if this is possible many thanks pikeman01 john :dizzy:
pikeman01

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat