Marine band

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Marine band

Postby ur5by9 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

I have the Latest UK Scanning Directory 2017 which I purchased last week from the site.

It certainly is full of content and at time's too much for the old eyes :shocker:

I Have been slowly programming my scanner up and was thinking about putting in the marine band.
Looking over this which I thought was only 16 channels turns out to be over 100 Marine frequencies.

Quite mind boggling :dizzy:

Being Up in Scotland and Close to the forth I would expect to pick up a fair bit of communications.

Can some one help me out a bit as to what I should be listening to and programming in.

Chris :wave:
ur5by9

Re: Marine band

Postby mickydt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:11 pm

i live on the coast of the north west and have mainly coast guard frequencies where i get many hits along with the various ports around here.

perhaps popping in the coast guards and if you know the ports then them as well.
mickydt

Postby G4RMT » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Well there's only really about 60, but remember that many of those are regional specific, so while you could scan them all, I'd be surprised if more than maybe fifteen or so had much going on - certainly, here on the East Coast, we have plenty of activity on 0,12,14 and 16 and the Coastguard on another 3 (but usually the same thing from different locations, some close, some weaker), then maybe a handful of simplex inter-ship stuff, and then a couple of the Marina channels - that's pretty much it.
G4RMT

Postby Minus1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:19 am

This is a very good guide which shows channels in use at many locations around the coast.
http://coastalradio.org.uk
See especially "British & Irish V.H.F. Public Marine Channel List'

Channels 71,72,73 tend to be favoured by the Navy.

Be sure to scan 156.0 (Channel 0) and 160.6 — used by the coastguard (two simplex channels).
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby G4RMT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 am

Slightly OT, but what radios available to buy off the shelf actually have the coastguard channels in them? Now the radios have the id/gps system built in, they can't just programme up any old radio?
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am

I personally find the use of Marine band interesting away from the sea. There are several inland users of marine band. Here in the Broads several people & companies use it for example, including the Broads Police patrols.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby BlackKnight_UK » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:40 am

G4RMT wrote:Slightly OT, but what radios available to buy off the shelf actually have the coastguard channels in them? Now the radios have the id/gps system built in, they can't just programme up any old radio?

A marine band radio?

As in buy a dedicated marine band radio, just don't transmit on it :wink:

Places like Radio World sell them.
BlackKnight_UK

Postby G4RMT » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Er, no - you misunderstand, I actually have marine band stock here that I sell and rent out, but none of them cover 156.000MHz, channel zero which the coastguard use for their 'private' channel. None of the major brands seem to have any marine radios on sale that include channel 0 - so my query is about how they source them? I would not have thought reprogramming is anything other than a factory option, not even dealers would have any need to change the programming - even though most have UK/America/US channels already in them - apart oddly from channel 37 and the two M channels which often get missed out!
G4RMT

Postby Minus1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:33 pm

There are multiple businesses and organizations in the WTR that have private marine channels (numbered between :29 and :59). If those can be programmed, so can 156.0 / 160.6
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Giblets » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 pm

G4RMT wrote:Er, no - you misunderstand, I actually have marine band stock here that I sell and rent out, but none of them cover 156.000MHz, channel zero which the coastguard use for their 'private' channel. None of the major brands seem to have any marine radios on sale that include channel 0 - so my query is about how they source them? I would not have thought reprogramming is anything other than a factory option, not even dealers would have any need to change the programming - even though most have UK/America/US channels already in them - apart oddly from channel 37 and the two M channels which often get missed out!

Channel zero is a dedicated CG & SAR channel which can only be programmed into a standard marine VHF transceiver after the issue of an official authorisation for the user to be allowed to operate on that channel.
Giblets

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat