New scanner user, my learning curve so far...

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

New scanner user, my learning curve so far...

Postby Kayos » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:32 pm

I decided to treat myself to a scanner for Christmas, a UBC125XLT

My previous experience is one I borrowed for a week about 20 years ago, so i thought id post how ive got on in the week or so since i bought it.
With the scanner I also bought a D type earpiece, but its very uncomfortable, and im looking for something better. i also bought a mini mag mount antenna for the car/van but i've not used that yet.

To test it out i googled the LBA frequencies (which brought me here) programmed them in and went for a drive. lots of fun parking up and hearing everything crystal clear so now I know it all works well.

Back home and with closecall turned off until i worked out how lockout worked, i programmed in the stuff i was likely to be near when out and about, Manchester, Humberside and Robin Hood. I did have a brief play but only managed to pick up a few one sided calls when in the loft (my minimag hadnt arrived yet)
As I suspect a few others had i was looking at the now defunct TV aerial on my roof and the cable behind the TV, so I acquired a BNC plug, made it fit, conected it up, switched the scanner on and picked up a few more transmissions, again mostly one sided but more than with the rubber duck.

While googling and learning about antennas i came across a picture of what i now know is a centre fed dipole, made out of 10mm copper pipe, after i checked some of the measurements i knocked one up, screwed it to the purlin in the loft, connected it the scanner and WOW!

Im based south east (ish) Bradford and fairly high up and I was picking up Manchester ground and air loud and clear, LBA, Humberside and lots of CB, which other than being quieter than it was years ago, still had the same sh......

By this point my scanning directory had arrived, rather than trying to work out what to program in i searched the airband, with one finger on the pgm button so i could store any frequencies with traffic. Within 2 hours i had 46 channels programmed, and the distances surprised me.
Leeds and Manchester I expected but I also have Dublin, Teesside, Humberside, Swanwick, RHA and based on the freqs and accents i'm pretty sure Scotland, But i'm double checking that over the next few days.

Its been a fun week, the scanner is great and once you get your head around a few concepts its easy to use, alpha tagging is fantastic and i'm blown away by what i can pick up, I honestly thought it would only be any good parked up when im out and about for work

Im sure the next few weeks will only get better, I do want an external antenna and id like to pick up more than airband, but im sure I will get there. i will be going to Hull in a few days so i think a detour past the docks and marina is in order
Kayos

Re: New scanner user, my learning curve so far...

Postby Nighthawk999 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi,it's good to know that you're getting on so well with your 125.I wouldn't be without mine now.
Re the earpiece,D types aren't really designed for continual listening,so I use walkman-type earphones when out and about,they're discreet if your scanner is in an inside pocket,people just assume you're listening to music.
Have fun with it all,if you ever get stuck,there's plenty of users on here to advise you.
Nighthawk999

Postby thelad » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Yes them D things are nasty, i use earbuds or a clear tube type. Am not far away from you.
Theres may give you more to hear
http://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5192
thelad

Postby Kayos » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:31 pm

I've ordered a G shape earpiece now, I need something discreet for the car or van and I don't like the little earbuds, if this is rubbish too I will search out some decent ones. When I'm not home alone I use my Senheisser HD-25's but I don't like taking them out.

On my way into Hull I picked up some good stuff on marine even tho I wasn't that close to the water, the minimag seems pretty decent but I've nothing to compare it to (yet)

I'm sure I will get stuck at some point, thanks for the list, I've added a few of the ones I'm interested in to the scannwr
Kayos

Postby m0lsx » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:39 pm

I must be lucky because I am on my 2nd or 3rd D piece earphone & they work really well for me.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Kayos » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:51 pm

In theory the D type is ideal, small, cheap and light but just cant get on with it, maybe i have odd shaped ears? :p

My new J pole is working well in its temporary place, already added a few new frequencies, time to start organising the banks properly I think
Kayos

Postby Kayos » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:45 pm

A bit of playing and I got the D type fitting nice, now I have a choice of earpieces at least

The 15mm J pole is another step up in antenna, but I've ordered the last few bits to make a 22mm external J pole, I'm not expecting a huge jump but maybe a bit more clarity on the weaker stations

Back to work Wednesday, moved the minimag to the van so time for a bit of out of area scanning for first time
Kayos

Postby Kayos » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Good day today :) it was how I imagined (hoped) scanning would be

Plenty of travelling round, i'm impressed with the Miniscan antenna, both size and cost, it was cheap and performs well

I've picked up military airband, some light aircraft, civi airband, some short range FM stuff but most impressive was a couple of HAM repeaters. I keep thinking about getting my foundation, the cost of radios has dropped massively lately
Kayos

Postby m0lsx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Kayos wrote:I keep thinking about getting my foundation, the cost of radios has dropped massively lately

The cost has not been high for many years now, providing you don't mind used radios & don't mind building your station slowly.
When I first got my foundation, I spent around £50 on a complete mobile set up. The Cross needle (HF & VHF) SWR meter is still my main station meter, although I do have others now. The cheap 1970's 20 channel 2 meter radio is going strong & the antenna is in a cupboard some where, although the chap mag mount went QRT after about 2 years.
So don't let cost put you off, as I have a cupboard full of kit I brought cheaply as it became available.
All you need to get on air is a handheld radio & they can be bought for as little as £20 & the opportunities that a licence opens up are worth having.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Kayos » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:33 pm

m0lsx wrote:
Kayos wrote:I keep thinking about getting my foundation, the cost of radios has dropped massively lately

The cost has not been high for many years now, providing you don't mind used radios & don't mind building your station slowly.
When I first got my foundation, I spent around £50 on a complete mobile set up. The Cross needle (HF & VHF) SWR meter is still my main station meter, although I do have others now. The cheap 1970's 20 channel 2 meter radio is going strong & the antenna is in a cupboard some where, although the chap mag mount went QRT after about 2 years.
So don't let cost put you off, as I have a cupboard full of kit I brought cheaply as it became available.
All you need to get on air is a handheld radio & they can be bought for as little as £20 & the opportunities that a licence opens up are worth having.

I'm looking at handhelds, for the cost i really cant lose as i am enjoying building antennas, some somthing I can use at home and take in the van would be an ideal start.
Someone gave me an SWR meter as all this started with my 4x4 build, im sticking a CB in for green laning trips but that might have to be a CB and a HAM rig now....
Kayos

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat