Discriminator tap for BCT15X

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Discriminator tap for BCT15X

Postby welshmonitor » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 am

Not sure which part of the forum to post this so if it is in the wrong section I apologise

Is there anybody here that lives in or around the South Wales area that would be willing to fit a discriminator tap to my BCT15X for me please??

It is a bit of a cheeky ask but since my soldering skills are totally non-existent & I don't fancy turning my scanner into an expensive paperweight, I figure that the best thing to do is ask for somebody will a lot more knowledge than myself to do this for me.

Regards

Welshmonitor
welshmonitor

Re: Discriminator tap for BCT15X

Postby Mark5R » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:49 pm

Not local to you but the following posted by silvershadow might help if you are still stuck. If you print it out and take it to a local electricians or similar and explain what you want I am sure if they are competent they could do it for you properly for a small fee.....

SilverShadow wrote:Image

Uniden BCT15X & UBC800XLT Bearcat scanner Discriminator Mod

Items needed:

10uF tantalum capacitor
5k to 10k resistor
3.5mm mono jack (female)……

Keep in mind that I'm using a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male patch cord to run to the "mic in" on my laptop running Universal Trunker. Others have used an RCA jack instead of the 3.5mm jack.

Solder the positive "+" side of the 10uf Cap directly to the spot marked "DISC"…then solder the resistor in series off the cap (the orientation of the "resistor" is not important). Run your ground wire from the ground on your "jack" to one of the mounting screws on your board… and your wire coming off the "resistor" to the mono jack.

How and where you mount is your call... and thats it!

Take off the outer case shell, and then the top inner case. Just about dead center on the board look for the solder pad labled "DISC". Run a single insulated wire to this point to a jack of your choice (I prefer RCA jacks) mounted on the rear of the radio. I also like to use a tantalum capacitor in line with the jack as well.

If you take the bottom inner cover off the radio you will see the best place to installe the jack apears to be the area of the bar code/serial number label. You could also just run an audio cable into the radio thru the threaded rear hole or even one of the holes on either side of the radio's rear.

Thanks to Jeff for this mod. Also the same for The Uniden Bearcat BCD996
Whistler TRX-2 ~ Funcube Dongle Pro+
Baofeng UV-5R ~ Baofeng UV-3R+
GRE PSR-225 ~ Uniden Bearcat BCT-15X
Cobra 29LTD ~ Cobra MT115
Mark5R

Re: Discriminator tap for BCT15X

Postby welshmonitor » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you Mark5R most appreciated :thumbup:
welshmonitor

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat