AOR8200 and USB-SErial Adaptor

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

AOR8200 and USB-SErial Adaptor

Postby merryterry » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:12 pm

I have an AOR8200 mk3 older model with a serial output. Worked no problem connecting to my old XP desktop with serial connection but now have laptop with only USB. Tried a couple of USB-Serial cables but cannot transfer data between scanner and laptop. Anybody got any ideas?
merryterry

Re: AOR8200 and USB-SErial Adaptor

Postby The Walton Mystic » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:42 pm

I have a Mk2 and I'm just returning to the hobby, so have been trying out various options. The only success (so far) under win 10, has been with the Butel software and then I run the Comms in 9600 baud. I can't recall the manufacturer of the USB/Serial, but it isn't an obviously named brand.
Would be very interested in any other readers experiences.
The Walton Mystic

Re: AOR8200 and USB-SErial Adaptor

Postby milly » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Not had any problems with any USB<>serial under windows until windows 10. Five minutes of remedial action and no more problems with that either.

Problem related to the drivers...windows 10 drivers were too new for any of the interfaces I have built (prolific or ftdi chips) and forcing windows 10 to use an older driver cured the problem. The drivers that work are V3.3.x (windows 10 comes with 3.6.x).

This isn't a windows 10 problem as such...it's to do with changes in the chipset manufacturers drivers meaning they don't support their own older chips - conspiracy theorists might think this has something to do with the redundancy most manufacturers have been creating for the past hundred years so they keep their profits up and our pockets empty)
milly

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat