My scanning toys :) AOR AR8200 MK3 & Uniden UBCD3600XLT

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: My scanning toys :) AOR AR8200 MK3 & Uniden UBCD3600XLT

Postby Metradio » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:03 pm

If I had the choice I would have the case and screen of the 3600 and the innards of the TRX-1.. :smiles:
Whistler have just released a firmware upgrade that allows direct frequency entry and tune plus mode search. Before the upgrade I found the Whistler a slightly better scanner, now it performs a lot better than the 3600..
Uniden need to sort out DMR, does not detect DMR on close call, very hit and miss on simplex DMR, needs a higher signal level that the TRX-1 to decode DMR..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby scannergav » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 pm

I don't know if anyone else has purchased the 3600? Or this could go to you Mike! How do you enter TGID's into the 3600XLT from scratch?? Ive tried to do it, but it says BAD TGID? I'm trying to enter 4400,4401,4402,4403 etc for the UK?
AOR AR8200 MK3, UBC125XLT, UBCD3600XLT
scannergav

Postby Minus1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:06 pm

You create a DEPARTMENT for talk groups, this DEPARTMENT should have a name.
I call the DEPT is all my digital systems mine "TGs".
Within each DEPT (of which there only seems to need be one, at least I have yet to figure why you'd want more than one), you have "Channels".
When you create a "CHANNEL", the scanner invites you to input a TGID.

Raises the question why is the same thing called a CHANNEL and a TGID?

I don't think Uniden ever really got their head around the nomenclature, or the logic for that matter.

OR is the problem that you have "Display Options — ID Format" set to hex?
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby scannergav » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:49 pm

hello, thank you for the reply and information, appreciate it :)
The manual did say I could quick enter a TGID/Frequency just by holding a channel, BUT I was trying to do this without having created a system like a complete JAM DOUGHNUT lol. TBH, I haven't really gone TOO deeply into the TGID groups, because you hear different groups coming over on the main repeater frequency anyway. Im tuned into the 3 repeaters in Weston :) absolutely superb!!!
scannergav

Postby scannergav » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:05 am

Hello again,
Just wanted to share this as it was a good question regarding the 3600 setup from another user. Thanks for the contact Peter :wave:

Hi
Read your message about scanners. I too have both Uniden 3500 and now the 3600 digital model too.
But I can't get my head round profiles and favourites.
So far I have programmed my scanning lists (i.e. civil airband, military airband, shopwatch etc) as favourites lists and then select the ones to scan through the menu. But I'm not sure that is the best way as I end up with favourites, systems, and departments all with the same topic name . . . and Sentinel doesn't seem to like the way I have done it as it copies all favourites list contenst in to every favourites list (instead of keeping them separate as I have done on the scanner) any advice would be welcome if you have found better ways of programming! (-: Thanks. Peter

PS I too am a Mac user and run Sentinel through VirtualBox - which is thankfully free.

MY REPLY,

Hello Peter.

There is a reason why your favourites are all named under the same topic, according to the Sentinel :wink: I hope I've got the understanding of what you mean!!!!
RIGHT..... Is your topic name saying custom 1 by any chance??????? If it does then you need to alter and edit each of your installed channels per your Favourites lists!! You need to select a service type for EACH of your installed frequencies relevant to your Favourites lists!! SO FOR EXAMPLE:
Your Civilian Airband Favourites list.. Press the side menu button - manage favourites - scroll to your Civi Airband List and enter - review/edit system - scroll to each of your installed Systems and enter (DO ONE BY ONE ONLY) - edit department and enter (so if you have different departments etc, RADAR, TOWER, etc - edit channel/enter - CLICK ON THE FREQUENCY!! - SET SERVICE TYPE!!! - turn the scroll till you are on AIRCRAFT, then enter it, come out of it and do the same with the other frequencies on the Airband favourites, MILITARY and CIVILIAN aircraft!!.
Follow the same steps and do the same in your other favourites lists!!!!!!!
FOR EXAMPLE, I've set my Favourites List, UK REPEATERS frequencies under the service type Ham, shopwatch frequencies under the service type Security, etc....

ONCE THESE ARE ALL DONE, take your time with it!!!! Press MENU - Select service types - use the scroller to scroll to the service types you've created and toggle ON!!! - press menu OR system to EXIT!!
RIGHT - On your keypad - press the button LIST/SERVICES - You can now safely toggle ON/OFF the favourites that you want to SCAN/LISTEN TOO :radiocall:

Remember to do the SYSTEM TYPE every time you enter a frequency to your favourites etc!! The Sentinel was seeing ONE service type ONLY, thats why it was showing ONE favourites list on the Mac, according to your Uniden, you have several Favourites lists created!!

I really hope this help :) Once you get used to it, the scanner will become easier, thats a PROMISE.

If anyone else has the same issues, this may help.
scannergav

Postby Minus1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:00 pm

I've found that the Sentinel software provided with the UBCD3600XLT does not allow location definition by a rectangle (as the software I got for the BCD536HP does), but only by a circle. This seems a pointless limitation, as using 4 rectangles that do not quite overlap is the only simple way of searching a frequency everywhere EXCEPT in a certain area.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby friar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:38 am

Bought ubcd 3600 and now struggling to program.
Anyone seen a you tube video showing set up?
Thanks all!
UBCD3500XLT now UBCD3600XLT
friar

Postby scannergav » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 am

Send me a private message if you wish and I'll be happy to help!!
scannergav

Postby friar » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:55 pm

Thank you! Will try a little longer before I trouble you.
UBCD3500XLT now UBCD3600XLT
friar

Postby Minus1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26 am

1. Plan your Favorite lists, systems, depts, etc before you do anything.
It's vastly more complex than a simple list of channels.
You need to get your head around that first.
There are three tiers of structure (Favorites, Systems, Departments) before you even get to a channel.
Put the quick key and num tag (make them the same) in the name, otherwise you can't remember them all.

How you organise things is up to you depending on what you want to listen to.
And do expect to do it immediately, I'm still retuning how I organize things after two years of having a BCD536HP.

For example, I have FL 0 for geo-located systems (Anything defined by a location)
FL1 for national systems.

2. Setting it up on a computer will save you any enormous amount of fiddling with knob and buttons.
plus it is much easier to visualize how your scanner memory is organized on a bigger screen.

To create your first channel:

MENU - Manage Favorites
New Favourite List

Review Edit/System
New System

Edit Dept
New Dept

Edit Channel
New Channel

etc
Minus1

PreviousNext

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat