Just purchased Uniden UBC125XLT

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Just purchased Uniden UBC125XLT

Postby ur5by9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:39 pm

Good afternoon chaps, Go easy on me first post :wave:

I have been around Radio on and off for a while.
Recently I dusted down my Realistic PRO-2039 and programmed in a few of the local Air band frequencies.
I made a simple dipole with a bit connector strip and fed it using a bit of satellite coax that was already in place * Bonus* up in the loft space

I cut it for around the air band 125 MHZ area.

Local pick up is very good and I can also hear the ground chatter due to my height and Location.

Anyways this now brings me to my new purchase where I thought Id treat myself to a modern scanner with more portable options.
Google brought me hear after researching the UBC125XLT where the reviews were very positive and recommended and used by most users.

So I have a few questions, The first one is that I believe this can be programmed using the computer, I have the Uniden software downloaded from
the site, Is this the best software available and what is the computer programming options in regards to simplest

Secondly I would like to get a more broadband antenna up for Scanning, Now I could get a discone or use a tri-band vhf antenna whats the general conciseness
regarding outdoor antennas and recommendations.

Being away from radio for a bit It would be nice to have some sort of up to date frequency list or where to obtain such a list, information on this will be with the greatest of thanks.

I'm sure over time I will have lots of questions and looking forward to using the forum :smiles:

Best Regards

Chris.
ur5by9

Re: Just purchased Uniden UBC125XLT

Postby m0lsx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum :wave: :wave: :wave:
Personally I do not have a 125, but do have a 3500, the 125's big brother & the 230, which is the 125's younger brother.
The best software is probably the Scan 125.
http://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?t=3907

The best antenna is less clear. Ask the average scanner enthusiast what is best for anything & you will get 3 answers, as very little is clear cut. We have personal preferences & what works best in one location may not be the best option in another.
I like my three band vertical collinear. But I like to operate on 6 meters & use to work 2 meters too. I also have a discone, which is not currently up.
When you are putting a outside antenna up do not forget it will only be as good as the coax you use. Cheap coax will loose a big chunk of the signal. RG-58 is completely unsuitable at UHF but may work for very short runs at lower VHF frequencies.
Budget around £20 per meter for Coax, then add on a wall bracket & a mast.
The cost of the antenna will be well under half of the total cost of putting it in place.
Kimmy's database is well worth the cost, the link for his database is part of my signature & you can search this site using the google search below too. The standard forum search feature is useless, but with the google search fining posts here about a specific town / city etc is simplicity it's self.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Scan125 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:13 pm

Regarding programing the UBC125XLT then (I am biased) but my Scan125 might suit your needs.

Firstly it is free and I do my level best to support it and it's users.

It can do stuff other's can't but then channel spreadsheet like column/row cut paste edit functions are not as good as a competitor.

Best I can suggest is give it a whirl and if you don't like it then no problem.
Scan125

Postby ur5by9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi and thanks for the swift reply :wave:
I could certainly look at the collinear antennas which are readily available, I also have a few T+K brackets around the garage somewhere, Probably in need
of a clean up and paint right enough. I know I have half a drum of RG213 in the shed which may work out well enough for the task.

I'm just going to have a look at the directory your recommended there to see about the order process.
Being honest I'm not generally one for manuals however I feel this Uniden unit may require some going over.

I managed to key in some of the known airband frequencies and the quality from the little unit is very impressive.

Nice unit quite surprised.
ur5by9

Postby ur5by9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:26 pm

I will more than certainly try the Scan125 software. I have used the chrip software before but that was some time ago on a different radio.
ur5by9

Postby ur5by9 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Quick heads up I downloaded the Scan125 Software and without any issues managed to program a few channels into it with ease.
So far i didn't need the help file :)

I didn't get the Uniden software to work as it says my UBC125XLT is not supported which I found odd?
ur5by9

Postby lupinehorror » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:48 pm

just got a UBC125XLT too...well featured and am enjoying getting to grips with it...in my opinion a good deal better than the EZI-33XLT which i've now given to a mate.
lupinehorror

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat