PMR

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

PMR

Postby brimstone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 am

Hi -All
I am new to scanning. I have an Uniden ez133xlt, which is excellent, I have been out and about scanning using the different set band widths, I have picked up on most but never get anything on PMR. To be honest I,m not sure who broadcasts on the 446 frequencies. Any info on this and where is best to pick up broadcasts on PMR would be appreciated.

regards
steve.
brimstone

Re: PMR

Postby m0lsx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 am

PMR = Private Mobile Radio.
This covers anything from Taxi's, to haulage firms, to shops, to farmers, to motorcycle to motorcycle radios.
You mention 446.
446 Mhz is a licence free PMR system, the radios should conform to a set of criteria about power used, frequencies, even antenna designs to be legal & thus licence free.
The range of PMR446, is very very small. Forget the 2 - 3 kilometres rangers or more given by some manufacturers. These ranges are achievable, but not under most circumstances, expect, say 200 yards at most, but don't be surprised at more or even a lot less.
Also don't forget a handheld scanner has a small inefficient antenna on it & as it is illegal to use PMR446 on anything else but the standard antenna, so doe the radio you want to listen to. Now add in the fact that the weak signal you want to listen to is on UHF, where the signal will be attenuated greatly by walls, people, vehicles etc etc.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Chris P » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:20 pm

as an aside Most transmissions on PMR are not broadcasts they are transmissions intended to be received by a specific listener or group of listeners , a broadcast is a transmission which is intended to be heard by anyone who can hear it , examples are commercial TV and radio ,marine weather reports and navigational messages ,Airband Volmet broadcasts and navigational warnings such as found on ATIS transmissions, and possibly ADSB transmissions from aircraft ( not sure about SELCAL) . This is why it is ok to listen to broadcasts but "illegal" to listen to transmissions not intended for anyone other than the authorised listener or group of listeners, unless you have a licence and authority to receive those transmissions eg a ships portable lic or ship operators certificate for marine band transmissions or a UK general lic for the appropriate frequencies . But even if you have an appropriate lic in theory you should not disclose anything you hear inadvertently as to do so is also illegal . Amateur radio transmissions and CB radio are treated as broadcasts as are commercial radio stations such as public TV and radio .All transmissions on licence exempt frequencies are considered as to be broadcasts so it is not illegal to listen to them but to transmit on these frequencies you must only use approved equipment( as Alan has said) as anything else is not exempt ( eg using a Baofeng on 446 Mhz channels or a non approved CB transmitter with excessive power or ERP above that permitted ).
If you are caught there are considerable penalties that can be applied .
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby brimstone » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:51 pm

thankyou for the detailed and informative reply. I learnt a lot in your responses.
regards
steve.
brimstone

Postby G4RMT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Where you are makes a huge difference. Here in East Suffolk - VHF PMR is quite busy, with quite a few wide area systems, but UHF users are much more patchy, and have smaller areas. In the bigger cities - UHF and VHF channels are often mega busy and many share users.

The one thing you will notice if you do research on radios is that anybody who every mentions distance in an advert usually adds a little * and somewhere says basically - "well, you could possibly get this 30 mile range, with the wind behind you, on top of a mountain, sipping a cocktail, but the reality is you might get half a mile, if that!"

Any advert that claim distances should be viewed with scepticism. Some of the ebay ones are total works of fiction, put up by clueless people who believed what they were told by other clueless people.

My local motorcycle training people use PMR446 - the other day they passed me on a dead straight road - I reckon they faded out less than 800m or so form me - with my radio on a decent roof mounted aerial.
G4RMT

Postby Alfie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

as said above... PMR describes a lot of public/private mobile radio...

if you meant PMR 446 then the 8 frequencies below are the exact frequencies...

be aware... there are literally shitloads of people on these frequencies from shops to security to argos and motorbike instructors to schools and even random kids playing about with them as if they are toys. i even have a local criminal court using them with pretty sensitive info shared such as names of defendents in the court and what they got punished with and crazy enough they are licence free so you can buy em from anywhere including ebay argos maplins etc. etc. ctcss and dcs do offer more privacy from interference but not from eavesdroppers.

one thing to bear in mind. they are well used and popular but only have a short range of about half a mile ;)
Alfie

Postby brimstone » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:02 pm

thanks for the info. I recently (as a test) parked close to the local taxi rank and shops, but did not pick anything up. when out and about i,m using a SPA-STA91 antenna. 25-1300mhz. This picks up scans on vhf ok.
I live in cheshire, small town, maybe that is the difference?.

regards
steve
brimstone

Postby m0lsx » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:49 pm

brimstone wrote: I recently (as a test) parked close to the local taxi rank and shops, but did not pick anything up. when out and about i,m using a SPA-STA91 antenna. 25-1300mhz. This picks up scans on vhf ok.

Personally I would not use a long telescopic when out & about. They are a heavy antenna & put a strain on the BNC.
I use my long telescopic exclusively for use when the radio is standing in a corner with the antenna supported.
I use a flexible whip for portable use.
What frequencies were you listening on?
Were you doing band scans or listening to pre programmed channels.
The reason you heard nothing could be multiple.
You could have been listening to the wrong frequencies & maybe as they were in the rank they were talking to each other face to face, rather than over the radio? Also is it possible that they do not use radios but mobile phones instead?
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:41 pm

As an experiment, I stuck the PMR446 frequencies in my van, and left it on scan when I was out and about. The motorcycle people popped up a couple of times, and one shoe shop, and a restaurant somewhere near our Police Station. That's it. Taxis don't use it - find the local warehouse type of shopping area, and you'll hear a bit more.
G4RMT

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:07 pm

Whilst some say the range of PMR446 radios is very limited, I've been quiet surprised. The company I work for has a load of Motorola PMR radios used between 2 floors of the facility - warehouse under ground to production up stairs. Whilst no phone signal is achievable in the warehouse below ground apart from one network as we have a mast on site and booster in the building, the PMR radios work well all over the building and between floors (and the building has a lot of steel and concrete).
CW-2E0UCW

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat