WHY CANT UK SCANNING BE JUST LIKE THE USA!! LOL

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

WHY CANT UK SCANNING BE JUST LIKE THE USA!! LOL

Postby scannergav » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Hello again Scanner/Radio Communication Fans :radiocall:

Im really enjoying my scanner/scanning experience with my UBCD3600XLT. After getting more involved with it more deeply over the last 6-12 months and doing more research, even I've found that the scanning side of things in the UK/EU has really gone down hill, especially compared to likes of the USA! Ive been looking at our scanning partners in the USA, with them using the U.S version of the 3600, the BCD436HP. They get it straight out of the box, enter their ZIP/Postal code and booooom, they've got the full Radio Reference database at their fingertips! They can set a range of (example) 30 miles and get a mighty (example) 700 channels :laughs:. This could include Police patrols, Police Departments, Fire, Ambulance, Airports, Security and god knows what else.
Ive tuned in loads of frequencies into the 3600 and all I'm really picking up in the South West is pretty much all the airports and analog/digital ham radio/Repeaters etc. Even my local shopwatch has now gone encrypted :( I just wish I could teleport myself every other evening to the USA so I could enjoy all their fantastic scanning features lol.

I must admit, I do enjoy hearing the airports and the Amateur guys talking away, ( I might pick up the odd CB now and again), but I would love it even more if I could pick up the police, that would be fantastic.

I know its wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be good if there was some kind of system here in the UK/EU where you could REGISTER yourself and your equipment (serial number etc) to the authorities so they could do a security check on you for history etc, if they are then happy with who you are (pose no threat), then a license could be issued, wether this be a License key that you could enter to the manufacturer???? So you could then be able to have a software update to listen in on the encrypted. Even if there was a fee to pay for the license etc, Id happily pay it??? Could be extra revenue for the authorities, surely they'd love that.
Maybe this is something that could be asked, you never know!!!!!!!!!!!
AOR AR8200 MK3, UBC125XLT, UBCD3600XLT
scannergav

Re: WHY CANT UK SCANNING BE JUST LIKE THE USA!! LOL

Postby m0lsx » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:34 pm

scannergav wrote:
If there was some kind of system here in the UK/EU where you could REGISTER yourself and your equipment (serial number etc) to the authorities so they could do a security check on you for history etc, if they are then happy with who you are (pose no threat), then a license could be issued, whether this be a License key that you could enter to the manufacturer???? So you could then be able to have a software update to listen in on the encrypted. Even if there was a fee to pay for the license etc, Id happily pay it??? Could be extra revenue for the authorities, surely they'd love that.
Maybe this is something that could be asked, you never know!!!!!!!!!!!

Stopping us from listening in to the Police etc has nothing to do with security & everything to do with their priorities & the public embarrassment that causes them.
I can remember when we were able to hear the Police.
A woman who had an alarm fitted in her home by the police due to a violent ex partner had him banging on the door & they also had a commercial premises alarm go off. Guess which got priority?
I also heard a response to an alarm at a stately home getting 5 plus cars in response, while a woman who phoned up to report a burglar on the premises of a holidaying neighbour got one car from about 15 miles away.
I heard a traffic car being sent to a fatal accident 30 plus miles away & across Norwich during the evening rush hour.
And so the stories go on.
The simple fact is the Police do not want us knowing about how they conduct themselves & having their priorities challenged.
But ignoring the above.The fact that the Police are now going over to a mobile phone system rather than using a radio system will make any debate about listening pointless now.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 pm

While I hear what you are saying, I can't agree - sure the embarrassment is real, but everybody, it seems is pretty clued up on privacy. The first generation cellphones were amazing to listen to - the things you heard were interesting in the extreme. Now, and I think quite understandably, people expect privacy in their lives, and are aware of their rights, plus the idea that some people could listen in and others not is kind of worrying. Who would pay the costs of doing the necessary checks? OFCOM moved to 5 yr licenses to save money on the admin, and worked out the income from licenses rarely made a profit, so want less involvement not more.

Nobody would give any radio listener permission to eavesdrop on conversations most users already think are private. Scrambled/encrypted comms will be the norm for everything, I predict in maybe 20 years. Broadcasters transmit in the clear, and everyone who want's private or simply end user to end user will be genuinely private. While I like listening, it's going to go.

The US have a whole history of constitutional reasons why they maintain their crazy rights - Kinder Eggs are banned, but a 9yr old can shoot an UZI????

I think their freedoms were never the same here. Let's be honest, in the early 70s, anyone with a walkie talkie or radio in their car stuck out like a sore thumb. That's why CB was so hated by the powers that be - people could talk. Telephones here were routinely tapped, and people had rights, but didn't know about them.

Aircraft and Marine are probably safe - being closer to broadcasts than one to ones - for the moment. Everything else will be gone from the average listener.
G4RMT

Postby scannergav » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:06 pm

hi, yep thanks for the replies both of you. I just find this scanning so interesting, especially if you have nice high end equipment to use etc. but yes you both made very good points actually, privacy is a very important part of our lives. Yes id like to listen to the services (sure I'm not the only one) especially traffic and training, helicopter comms etc, the police (services) don't want us to know their business which is fair enough!!!!! I just hope we keep especially the airband, marine, military aircraft and amateur radio for a good few more years yet. Because I do the occasional flying lessons, I find the scanner helps me over time learn the radio terminology for air, also listening to Ham etc, this is starting to persuade me to go and do the foundation licence :radiocall: (that Kenwood D74 looks fab).
Privacy though, yep definite point made, I don't think id like someone listening in on my mobile phone conversation if it was done.
I think theres a few police departments in the States also going/gone encrypted?
Regarding the civi airband, will this eventually go digital? Im pretty sure I heard this a while back, probably a rumour.
Thanks again.
Gav
AOR AR8200 MK3, UBC125XLT, UBCD3600XLT
scannergav

Postby G4RMT » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Not scorns long time. Private pilots have very little time to get their aircraft fitted with the new radios for 8.33khz spacing and for most of them this is well over a grand. It's been years coming and still resistance is high. So AM is here for at least another ten, perhaps fifteen years I guess. The safety aspect is the one often talked about as the reason to stay AM, but that 'excuse' is running out really. Cellphones work the world over in a big complex system, so digital is technology simple now, and tested. Clearly for a long time aircraft radios must be backwards compatible, but I reckon radios will start to appear that have dual modes, and gradually people will just move over. Once 8.33KHz is in and working with all those extra channels, I bet a few start to be allocated to digital, maybe for airlines first, but it will come.
G4RMT

Postby FreqFreak » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 pm

I would like to hear just one good reason for air VHF to go digital, one that actually outweighs the principle of Keep It Simple, rather than It's Newer So It Must Be Better.

As for the USA, it's a really odd idea that if they pay for public services then they should have a right to listen in. Crazy, I tell ya! :biggrin:
FreqFreak

Postby Metradio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 pm

FreqFreak wrote:I....As for the USA, it's a really odd idea that if they pay for public services then they should have a right to listen in...

That idea frightens the crap out of our politicians :)

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby BlackKnight_UK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 am

I remember hearing the police one night asking for someone "to do the St. John Street job", followed about 10 minutes later by the one who had gone asking if "you want chips or not". So they'd actually gone for fish and chips :shocker:

Not sure if they used the "blues and twos" though.
BlackKnight_UK

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat