Maplins: Dodgy sales material.

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: Maplins: Dodgy sales material.

Postby lars » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:03 pm

"Normally the coverage in the city, with buildings or other obstructions is about 1 or 2 Km."

Are we _sure_ this is unreasonably optimistic? I appreciate that PMR is governed by maximum power standards, but I would expect factors like the quality of signal processing, antenna choice, etc., to have some effect. My cheapo Cobras give me about a quarter mile range in the woods -- I have no idea how they would perform in town. However, I wouldn't want to stick my neck out and claim that a decent quality pair of PMR radios couldn't possibly get 2km in any kind of urban environment.
lars

Postby m0lsx » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 pm

lars wrote:Are we _sure_ this is unreasonably optimistic? I appreciate that PMR is governed by maximum power standards, but I would expect factors like the quality of signal processing, antenna choice, etc., to have some effect.

The antenna is specified & fixed. So it is not a choice option.
I would expect build quality to effect distance & thus a well made radio to have at the least a more reliable signal, but I do not see how a few pounds can make much of a difference to build quality & thus to increase range beyond a few yards or at best a few hundred yards most.
Yaesu amateur radio handheld to Yaesu amateur radio handheld on 70cm could not transmit from clifftop car park to main road at West Runton & that is across two fields at 1 watt on a Vx-2e to 5 watts on my VX-7r. The distance was around 1km.

Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby lars » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:43 pm

FWIW the Midland website does show more than one antenna as being suitable for the G18; but since none of them are described, I have no idea what difference, if any, that makes.

My PMRs cost about £30 for a pack of four. The Midland G18 sells for about £100. If I bought a radio that was ten times the price, I'd be a little miffed if it didn't perform any better in practice. I would think that -- in theory at least -- a PMR radio ought to able to offer better range than an amateur hand-held with the same power level, because the bandwidth of the PMR is so small. Sensitivity and selectivity are both easier to optimize with narrow-band operation. Of course, I have no idea whether this theoretical benefit is ever realized in practice.

It's very common -- normal, in fact -- for manufacturers to be highly optimistic in their figures, and to quote results that only apply in the most ideal circumstances. But it's a bit cheeky to claim something that is actually impossible. I'm not saying I disagree with you -- only that it's a bit peculiar for a reputable manufacturer to claim something that couldn't be achieved even in the most optimal conditions.
lars

Previous

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat