Yep, a newbie "what scanner" question... Uniden or Whistler?

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Yep, a newbie "what scanner" question... Uniden or Whistler?

Postby TimT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm looking at either the Uniden 3600 or the Whistler TRX-1, but as I haven't owned a scanner for decades, a LOT has changed.
I'm tech savvy, so shouldn't be too phased by working these things out, but at circa £400, want to make the right choice when buying.

I want to listen to everything and anything - searching, scanning, listening to stored frequencies, whatever is passing by, plus marine, utilities, shopwatch etc, so both analogue and digital required.

Do these things work 'stand alone' or do you have to connect them to a PC/laptop (or can if you want?) to control them?

Maybe I would be OK with SDR? Would SDR give me the options of DMR and other modes that the above two do?

I'm not overly concerned about going portable to be honest, as this will be a hobby from home rather than out an about, but I have opted for handhelds for the convenience of being able to sit in which chair I want at home! I'm equally as happy to consider a base unit.

My budget is a maximum of £500.

Bearing in mind the 'journey' into digital is going to be a learning curve for me, which scanner is suited to my needs?

I can't have an external antenna as I live on the third floor of a block of flats, but we are located on high ground with quite a view, so that will have its advantages.

Thanks in advance.
TimT

Re: Yep, a newbie "what scanner" question... Uniden or Whist

Postby Metradio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:10 pm

To get you started the 3600 looks better than the TRX1.. The TRX1 works better than the 3600..

Let us know where you are and we might be able to give some pointers on what you should be able to receive..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby m0lsx » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

It is perfectly possible to set up with a cheap dongle with some freeware & do digital modes for less than £20. But it's not plug & play. So it may take a bit of time to set up, or it may work for straight out of the packet.
Or around £150 will buy a FunCube Dongle which is more of a plug & play set up & that too will I believe work with freeware.
SDR does have both drawbacks & advantages, depending upon what you are using& what you are doing.

edited to add.

https://funcube.org.uk/
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Metradio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Worth noting, both the Whistler and 3600 are NOT plug 'n' play in the UK regardless of what it says on the box..

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT.
Metradio

Postby TimT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm in Eastbourne, East Sussex.
TimT

Postby TimT » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 pm

Or do I just stay analogue? Problem is, I'm a nosey git and would hate to miss out on the juicy stuff! I think I'd get bored of listening to ships up and down the English Channel
TimT

Postby Minus1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 am

As people here will either have one or the other, or neither, and few if any have both, you're not going to get a definitive answer.

Both will be better than the other in some respects, and worse in others.

Dealers where you can physically try both are few and far between — but it might be worth a trip depending on where you live.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby TimT » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:36 pm

in the end I just bought the AR8200D...
TimT

Postby mike43 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:40 am

TimT wrote:Or do I just stay analogue? Problem is, I'm a nosey git and would hate to miss out on the juicy stuff! I think I'd get bored of listening to ships up and down the English Channel

Tim the channel is not just about ships up and down. I am in Lydd on the Romney Marsh in a bungalow with a Uniden Bearcat BCT15X and a Discone antenna. I can listen from my twenty quite a way east around to Ramsgate harbour-Dover coastguard and sometimes further, to the Dutch coast, the French coast guard and also the Belgian coast guard when they have their burners on. I can listen west without too much trouble to the Eastbourne coastguard. I have listened to many rescues in the channel. I have coastguard helicopters about a mile or so from me. I can listen to the comms in the helicopter with the pilot speaking to the winch man as far as Beach Head which is sometimes very sad and gory where a jumper has done his or her thing. I can hear every lifeboat that is on the channel in range from my place, so not just listening to ships up and down the channel. I don't bother with local shop watch, the coastguard and inter ship comms are interesting. Then there is the airband-CB-UK and Cept if there is anybody out there-PMR radios-2 Metre band-Raynet etc and plenty more. My main interest is the shipping channels and coastguard stations, very interesting and I am lucky to be able to listen to them all from my desk. There is always something going on. I also watch Ship AIS on my laptop to see the position of any ship in the channel if there is an incident. Ship AIS also tracks the coastguard helicopter when it is in the rescue mode and on a mission.

Best wishes Mike.
mike43

Postby m0lsx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

mike43 wrote: and also the Belgian coast guard when they have their burners on.

Are The Belgians involved in incineration at sea, in the Channel area? I did not think that was legal. I know it happens, but I did not think it was legal that close to land, even for ship produced garbage.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat