End of the road music festival

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

End of the road music festival

Postby Silage » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:32 pm

Off to this event in a few weeks and was wondering if we are looking at the usual business light freq's? anyone around Larmer tree area ever monitors the event in the past?

regards
Silage
Silage

Re: End of the road music festival

Postby Silage » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Had no luck picking up anything over the weekend, mind only took the 125xlt as short of space in pockets, i think they were using moto dp4600 or some numbers like that.
Silage

Postby G4RMT » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:18 pm

This made me chuckle, not for technical or interest reasons, but because festivals are often so noisy that what any radio puts out when the PTT is pressed is totally non-understandable. My job has me working at festivals of all sizes, and on stage, side stage and out front it's always too damn loud. I'm in a band that do lots of these, and often while I'm on stage you see the security people trying to use their radios, and getting frustrated in the extreme. Love it!
G4RMT

Postby bigboyblue » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm

G4RMT wrote:This made me chuckle, not for technical or interest reasons, but because festivals are often so noisy that what any radio puts out when the PTT is pressed is totally non-understandable. My job has me working at festivals of all sizes, and on stage, side stage and out front it's always too damn loud. I'm in a band that do lots of these, and often while I'm on stage you see the security people trying to use their radios, and getting frustrated in the extreme. Love it!

They are using either the wrong radios or the wrong accessories then.

We've found digital to be a lot better at noise cancelling anything that's not in front of the mic. Sadly, people still try to use radios 'firing from the hip' or such like, or using poor quality accessories that aren't designed to work with the radio.

Security staff are the worst, 'yes guv, I've brought my own earpiece' usually translates to 'I've been on ebay and got the crappiest thing I can find'.

If they purchased impress/ OEM kit, they wouldn't have any issues.
bigboyblue

Postby G4RMT » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 pm

Trying to talk into a radio ten feet in front of 10K of speakers is a hiding to nothing! The only thing the radio hears is the music! This is what I meant, and there's no radio fitted with noise cancelling mics that I know of. At the very least a proper headset, like the grand prix kit.
G4RMT

Postby m0lsx » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm

G4RMT wrote: There's no radio fitted with noise cancelling mics that I know of. At the very least a proper headset, like the grand prix kit.

And even the professionals have to admit defeat when a vehicle goes past.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby bigboyblue » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:27 am

G4RMT wrote:Trying to talk into a radio ten feet in front of 10K of speakers is a hiding to nothing! The only thing the radio hears is the music! This is what I meant, and there's no radio fitted with noise cancelling mics that I know of. At the very least a proper headset, like the grand prix kit.

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_xp ... essoryinfo

Works like a charm. Check youtube for some reviews and demos.
bigboyblue

Postby G4RMT » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Worth knowing, my results with noise cancelling equipment in sub bass areas has been terrible, I'll try one out next time.
G4RMT

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat