Modulation Uniden UBC125

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Re: Modulation Uniden UBC125

Postby G4RMT » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Marine band used to be spaced in 50KHz steps so starting with 156.0 as channel 0, channel 12 came in at 156.6, then channel 14 on 156.7 then channel 16 on 156.800. When it was full and technology allowed, they started again at 156.025 and filled in the gaps!

Aircraft and hams tend to talk frequencies while marine users with no technical knowledge needed, along with CB and pmr446 users just hav channels for simplicity. Hams have channels too, but their numbering has gradually faded away over the years, so you might have somebody say S22 when it's 145.550, with S20 145.5. For some, it's easier. Banks are just collected clumps of frequencies, and just a convenience really. Ranges are just things like 2m is the range 144.0 to 146, that's all. For new scanner users, getting to know the real numbers for where certain services are really helps. Hearing 118.9 then clicks as being vhf air band in AM, while hearing 446.00625 says PMR446 in FM.
G4RMT

Postby spaceman76 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks G4RMT, so channels are frequencies allocated to certain defined groups of users (services); so a rule of convention exists, such as: (hypothetically) 0 -100 for CB's,101-300 for HAM, ect ect.

Do people sometimes state their "channel number", rather than their frequency because its easier/less faffing about explaining long numbers with decimals ?
spaceman76

Postby m0lsx » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:43 pm

spaceman76 wrote:Thanks G4RMT, so channels are frequencies allocated to certain defined groups of users (services); so a rule of convention exists, such as: (hypothetically) 0 -100 for CB's,101-300 for HAM, ect ect.

Do people sometimes state their "channel number", rather than their frequency because its easier/less faffing about explaining long numbers with decimals ?

Each user has their own channel number. So channel 16 could be marine emergency or CB, or some other.
Users often state their channel number, but unless we know who it is & where it is, frequency wise, it's meaningless. I still have an old 2 meter FM radio that uses the old S (for simplex) channels, which are at 25khz spacings. But modern spacings are at 12.5, so the numbers are different. A lot of us know the S channels, not the modern V (for VHF) channels.
Most users on VHF & UHF are not technical & use channels. Aircraft give frequencies. Amateurs should give frequencies, but often on something like 2 meters that will be something like decimal five five zero, as they will assume you know the MHz.
There is no universal system, other than on international bands like Amateur, Marine & Air & they are not always exactly the same across the world.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Minus1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:57 pm

spaceman76 wrote:Thanks for replies, ive got the hang now of searching individual banks, and understand now that I can only scan entered frequencies. While at the River Thames yesterday at Greenwich, I did not specifically scan from 156.000 to 163.000 as advised, maybe thats why I did not pick up any marine; but i will try again in the future on that (is it called a range ?).

A couple more questions for you thou if you dont mind; why/how is channel 16 related to frequency 156.8 ?? This frequency is located in bank 7 on my uniden125 !
What are channel numbers ? I was assuming a channel number was a certain frequency ?? Can I search channel numbers (is this possible) ?

Yes, a range. May also be a band, if the range happens to be set to cover a band.

Service Search Band 4 on the UBC125XLT has Marine channel numbers built in. [Func Srch]
It only shows them when it stops, or is held, on a frequency.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby spaceman76 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:37 pm

[/quote]

Yes, a range. May also be a band, if the range happens to be set to cover a band.

Service Search Band 4 on the UBC125XLT has Marine channel numbers built in. [Func Srch]
It only shows them when it stops, or is held, on a frequency.[/quote]

Great, ive got it now; will have to test that out. If I save a frequency from the service search, is it saved to the normal banks, i guess it would be bank1 in this case.
spaceman76

Postby G4RMT » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 am

You're over thinking this a bit. Channels are simply for convenience. For a long time now, pretty well all users of radios use channels of some kind - after all, a channel is simply a conduit for communication (from an ancient book I read).

Military aircraft, as an example, had radios where a frequency needed to be entered a number at a time, on rotary dials - time consuming, prone to error when going fast or people trying to shoot you - so most of these radios had preset buttons, just like old fashioned car radios did. They were often circular - so the lead pilot instead of saying Angel flight 264 decimal five, 264 decimal five GO. would just say STUD 2 STUD 2 GO - and they'd all hit the second stud and all instantly retune to the new channel. No need to then fiddle with dials and try to set all those numbers individually.

Marine is the same - most older portable radios, and many new ones, still have a big knob. Some old marine gear had just 6 channels, or even just 2. So if you just do port operations, all you need is channel 14 or whatever.

My business radios usually have 6 channels programmed - no need for the users to even know what they are.

Marine users even have HF channels. How you organise your scanning is up to you really - collecting favourites into one or two banks that can be then scanned, ignoring the ones you don't want. I have ham, marine, vhf air, uhf air, refuelling, pmr and my own channels in my scanner, and then I scan just the ones I need. Everyone ends up with their own system, which you will soon begin to organise. As you collect new frequencies, it is very unlikely they will ever be in the right bank, that's where the work starts!
G4RMT

Postby spaceman76 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Okay thanks, so can one channel be used by more than one radio set ?
spaceman76

Postby Six of Nine » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:58 am

spaceman76 wrote:Also, would i receive a better reception by entering an exact frequency (via the quick search function) and toggling through, than if searched an entire bank (frequency range) ? I get the feeling that searching an entire range will miss things.

Im well aware that my "radio" nomenclature is virtually non-existent, any good books anyone can recommend to explain the basics (for a beginner like myself) ??

Are you aware that the search ranges, up to ten, are programmable by the user?
That way, you can narrow down the search to sub-portions of spectrum which are relevant.
From the Owner's Manual, page 51:

[...]
Programming Custom Search Ranges

You can define each search range used during a Custom Search.
1. Press Func then Pgm/E in Custom Search mode to view
the Search menu.

2. Turn SCROLL CONTROL to Program Limits and press
Pgm/E.

3. Turn SCROLL CONTROL to Search Bank 1-10 and press
Pgm/E. You will see the previously programmed lower
frequency. At Lower, press Pgm/E and use the keypad to
enter the lower limit frequency then press Pgm/E.

4. Scroll to Upper and press Pgm/E. You will see the
previously programmed upper frequency. Use the keypad
to enter the upper limit frequency then press Pgm/E.

5. Press . Clr to return to the Select Bank menu. Repeat for
each custom search bank you want to reprogram then
press Srch/Svc to start searching.
[...]
Six of Nine

Postby spaceman76 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:21 pm

Six of Nine wrote:
spaceman76 wrote:Also, would i receive a better reception by entering an exact frequency (via the quick search function) and toggling through, than if searched an entire bank (frequency range) ? I get the feeling that searching an entire range will miss things.

Im well aware that my "radio" nomenclature is virtually non-existent, any good books anyone can recommend to explain the basics (for a beginner like myself) ??

Are you aware that the search ranges, up to ten, are programmable by the user?
That way, you can narrow down the search to sub-portions of spectrum which are relevant.
From the Owner's Manual, page 51:

[...]
Programming Custom Search Ranges

You can define each search range used during a Custom Search.
1. Press Func then Pgm/E in Custom Search mode to view
the Search menu.

2. Turn SCROLL CONTROL to Program Limits and press
Pgm/E.

3. Turn SCROLL CONTROL to Search Bank 1-10 and press
Pgm/E. You will see the previously programmed lower
frequency. At Lower, press Pgm/E and use the keypad to
enter the lower limit frequency then press Pgm/E.

4. Scroll to Upper and press Pgm/E. You will see the
previously programmed upper frequency. Use the keypad
to enter the upper limit frequency then press Pgm/E.

5. Press . Clr to return to the Select Bank menu. Repeat for
each custom search bank you want to reprogram then
press Srch/Svc to start searching.
[...]

Thats great, did not realise that;

So far ive worked out (on my ubc25xlt search parameters that....)
25-28 MHz AM = CB
108 -137 MHz AM = Air
138 - 155 MHz FM = Business type users (Bus, maybe taxi ect)
156 - 174 MHz FM = Marine

Does that sound about right ???
spaceman76

Postby alpha_india » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm

You can also set custom search ranges using Scan125.
alpha_india

PreviousNext

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat