Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby LandingGearLaurie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Ok everyone,

Nice easy one this .... which one out of following -

UNIDEN Bearcat 75xlt
UNIDEN Bearcat 125xlt
UNIDEN Bearcat BCT15x

It’s for Air, Marine possibly CB. I will need a display that says I.e Gatwick and not just the frequency when programmed.

Thanks
LandingGearLaurie
I Bare The Cross Of Coer De Lion!
LandingGearLaurie
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:33 pm
Location: Somewhere In The Sprawling Metropolis! (Cheam)

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby m0lsx » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:57 pm

Personally I would discount the 75. Mainly because it offers less.
The choice between the other two is largely down to how you will use the scanner.
Do you think you will ever want to take it out & about with you? Say to the local airport, the seaside, the local town centre? If so then discount the 15X, as unless you intend to be listening exclusively from a vehicle of some description, or another home base location. The 15X is not the radio for you.
The 125 is more multi functional, it can be used on a decent home base antenna, but if you never intend to use it out & about, then the 15X makes more sense.
I use the 125's big brother, the 3500 & the 125's younger brother the 230, as well as a few other handhelds, even when out in the car. I have a cup holder & simply sit the handheld in that. I do have various magnetic mount mobile antennas, if I want to use them. But I find just sitting the radio with the standard small rubber antenna just above the dash (in the front window) gets me lots of Close Call hits.
I also have various other antenna options for when out & about to help me optimise the disadvantages of the small & low antenna that a handheld limits you too when wandering around.
One thing to consider. What antenna are you going to use if homebased? You will need to budget over £100 just to get a wall bracket, mounting pole & some decent coax. And you cannot cut back on how you mount the antenna, or how you get the signal from the antenna to the radio. The wrong, cheap coax will loose you most of your signal & any corners cut in mounting the antenna, could cost you much more on the first windy day.
So the choice is how you intend to use the radio, as much as anything.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby thelad » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:24 pm

125 takes some beating on price and use for me.
thelad
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby Minus1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:15 am

Just the slight difference of 9000 channels on the BCT15X and 500 on the UBC125XLT.
If you get the GPS puck for the BCT15X you don't have to keep reprogramming channels as you move around.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
User avatar
Minus1
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby m0lsx » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:27 am

Minus1 wrote:If you get the GPS puck for the BCT15X you don't have to keep reprogramming channels as you move around.


But to put the GPS into context. I have one of my old PRO-43 scanners that I often keep in the car as a throwaway radio. If it gets stolen or lost, then I am not too bothered. It's old & very cheap to replace, plus I have a spare or two in a draw.
I have had PRO-43's for years & can operate them with total ease.
I live in Norwich & only keep a few channels in the 43, but they are organised in banks suitable for mobile operation.
Frequencies like the red arrows, battle of britain memorial flight & other such frequencies that could be heard anywhere are in one bank. Norwich frequencies in another. Marine in another, Cromer frequencies in another, Hunstanton another & so on. Each bank is turned on & off by a single button press.
The GPS on the 15X does not allow you to switch individual signals on & off by location sufficiently accurately to make it a good mobile operations system. And the cost of the GPS unit makes it very poor value for multiple area base operation, as it's so easy to program your banks & then switch them in & out yourself.
For me if the GPS system saw what route you were taking & switched things in & out for that route, then it would be doing what it should. But the system is poor & could switch things out whilst they are still audible or leave them active long after you are out of range.
Plus it's just another program to configure & one that should be much much better than it is.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby LandingGearLaurie » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice. Think I’m going to punt for the 125xlt. I’ve based this on price, features and practicality.
I like the idea of being able to see what I am looking at too.
Just seen Sectrum Communications do a superb range of frequency specific flexi-whips which is perfect for my needs.
Thanks guys, great site and happy new year!
Laurie
LandingGearLaurie
I Bare The Cross Of Coer De Lion!
LandingGearLaurie
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:33 pm
Location: Somewhere In The Sprawling Metropolis! (Cheam)

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby Minus1 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:44 pm

m0lsx wrote:
Minus1 wrote:If you get the GPS puck for the BCT15X you don't have to keep reprogramming channels as you move around.


But to put the GPS into context. I have one of my old PRO-43 scanners that I often keep in the car as a throwaway radio. If it gets stolen or lost, then I am not too bothered. It's old & very cheap to replace, plus I have a spare or two in a draw.
I have had PRO-43's for years & can operate them with total ease.
I live in Norwich & only keep a few channels in the 43, but they are organised in banks suitable for mobile operation.
Frequencies like the red arrows, battle of britain memorial flight & other such frequencies that could be heard anywhere are in one bank. Norwich frequencies in another. Marine in another, Cromer frequencies in another, Hunstanton another & so on. Each bank is turned on & off by a single button press.
The GPS on the 15X does not allow you to switch individual signals on & off by location sufficiently accurately to make it a good mobile operations system. And the cost of the GPS unit makes it very poor value for multiple area base operation, as it's so easy to program your banks & then switch them in & out yourself.
For me if the GPS system saw what route you were taking & switched things in & out for that route, then it would be doing what it should. But the system is poor & could switch things out whilst they are still audible or leave them active long after you are out of range.
Plus it's just another program to configure & one that should be much much better than it is.


What utter rubbish, the GPS works fine, I use it all the time.
Whether you are capable of setting up it up in a competent manner is down to you.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
User avatar
Minus1
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:17 am
Location: West Midlands

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby m0lsx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Minus1 wrote: What utter rubbish, the GPS works fine, I use it all the time.
Whether you are capable of setting up it up in a competent manner is down to you.


I do not use GPS on my 15X & my understanding of what it is, is drawn from the user manual.
My understanding from the manual was that all it did was switch groups/banks of channels on & off based upon the distance that you are from the programmed centre of that group.
And I just feel that, if thats all it does, then it's a rather expensive way of switching banks on & off. Especially as that only requires the press of a button or two.
At a minimum the GPS device should allow you to set a distance from each programmed channel & given todays technology a lot lot more than that.
My phone operator can send me advertising based upon what shop I am in, or walking past. Yet uniden can only switch whole banks on & off!!
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby Scan125 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:13 pm

LandingGearLaurie wrote:Thank you everyone for your advice. Think I’m going to punt for the 125xlt. I’ve based this on price, features and practicality.
I like the idea of being able to see what I am looking at too.
Just seen Sectrum Communications do a superb range of frequency specific flexi-whips which is perfect for my needs.
Thanks guys, great site and happy new year!
Laurie


Now you have decided on the 125XLT then you may want to try my *free* Scan125 Control Program.

Links and info on my post signing.

Enjoy
User avatar
Scan125
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 5:02 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Straw Poll - What Scanner to buy out of .....

Postby m0lsx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 pm

LandingGearLaurie wrote: Just seen Sectrum Communications do a superb range of frequency specific flexi-whips which is perfect for my needs.
Thanks guys, great site and happy new year!
Laurie


Spectrums Nomad antenna is good too. I would personally say avoid the one with the pre amp. But I am not a fan of pre amps unless really needed & unless they have good band pass filtering & go just below the antenna, rather than the radio end. Pre amps should be really expensive for a good reason.
But back to the Nomad. I use a home made version of these & they are very effective & versatile. My daughter had one taped to her cabin bed leg when she first got licensed & I have used them for years as my VHF portable antenna of choice.
These antennas will hang in a loft, in a corner, in a window, from any hand branch when out & about & tape to a 10 meter long telescopic fibergalss roach rod for portable use & to a shorter rod connected to a back pack for pedestrian portable use.
I have even seen examples of this type of antenna being used attached to a solid fibreglass rod on a bicycle.
I belive Spectrums Nomad is around £20 inclusive of postage & it's certainly a plug & play option.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
User avatar
m0lsx
 
Posts: 5474
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm
Location: Norwich. TG21.

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest