Help Needed Please! Uniden + Baofeng.

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Help Needed Please! Uniden + Baofeng.

Postby RichieRahh » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:22 am

Hi Everyone hope all is well,

I Recently Purchased a Baofeng UV-5R with a 771 antenna. with the excitement that i was going to be able to listen to repeaters and PMR and so on,
so it didn't really please me at all with the lack of stuff i was able to pick up! so fast forward to last week when i purchased a
Uniden UBC125XTL with watson 881! after reading so many positive reviews i bit the bullet hoping i was going to be able to pick up much much more!

To my disappointment i ain't picking up much more, 1 CB. a few Planes and a couple of repeaters if i'm in a certain position in the house! even the baofeng
picks up more repeaters and pmr than the uniden! gutted.

personally i think its my location, as i have an old volcano and a few huge hills all around, so no open ground at all, in a ditch you could say.

thinking of getting a black diamond antenna for outdoors, what is everyone's view on this? anything i can do other than stick a huge pole outside?

sorry for the vent and frustration, didn't go to plan at all this radio thing!

Many Thanks in advance,

Richie.
RichieRahh

Re: Help Needed Please! Uniden + Baofeng.

Postby JGR » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 am

Sorry to hear of your disappointment, but the days of the bands being alive with traffic decreased significantly when the emergency services went to an encrypted digital form many years ago! There is still a lot of things to listen too in the VHF UHF ranges as well as HF but for VHF UHF you need to be close by if you use a handheld antenna. What you need is a good external antenna at a reasonable height out in the clear in order to be able to receive the transmissions even then it can take more time and patience to seek the frequencies out and log them as memories. The chase is 90% of this game these days.

By the way, the Baofeng is not really designed as a scanner or receiver but can be useful if not annoying tool in your arsenal as they do receive well but only in areas that are not plagued by strong RFI otherwise they overload easily, then again so do most basic wideband receivers!
John 2E0JGR CMH (clinical master hypnotist)
JGR

Postby Minus1 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:56 am

Wait for a nice day and walk to the top of said old volcano…
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby m0lsx » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am

Unless your outdoor antenna is going to get a clear view over the top of the surrounding hills then it will be better than an indoor antenna, but it's not going to bring the bands alive for you.
Houses always attenuate signals so having one point that is better than others is not surprising. My wifes small Yaesu dual band handheld with it's tiny antenna will only open the local 2 meter repeater from one point, in the house & my larger handhelds all have parts of our house where signals are better or worse.
So an outdoor antenna will remove that attenuation & if it's high it will again improve things, but unless it's horizon will always be those hills unless you can get it high enough to see over them.
The Black Diamond looks to be a Sandpiper antenna, so it should be a good antenna. But normally I do have my suspicions about small vertical antennas with no specified point of resonance. However Sandpiper are normally very good. I have a couple of their antennas & like them all.

http://www.sandpiperaerials.com/product/black-diamond/
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby barryk » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:27 pm

hi
I also am in a poor location with .hills. around! in my house a mobilephone does not work!
our local tv staton is70 milesaway!
so I have sympathy
barrie
barryk

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat