Can I use my moonraker cb mag mount for my scanner

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Can I use my moonraker cb mag mount for my scanner

Postby Southwales » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Hi, can I use the mag mount that came with my cb on my uniden 125?, even though it may not be ideal would it still be better than the rubber duck?

I ordered a cheap mini mag mount from gearbest for my uv5r for £3, when it came it was in Nagoya packaging, not sure if it is original but what a difference it has made over the uv5r rubber duck, last night I went through a village with my scanner on the rubber duck ( as I have no other aerial ) and the uv5r on the £3 mini mag mount stuck on roof ( SMA female plug so will not fit scanner ) suddenly both picked up pmr radios, as I drove out the other side of the village the scanner soon lost the signal, the uv5r kept signal well over another mile from the other side of the village, also the other day I could hear pmr radios being used for traffic control, it was another good mile plus till I hit the road works where I could then see the one radio being used. I have now ordered one with an sma fitting ( see image below ) but it is on a slow boat from China hence in the mean time I could try using my cb aerial if it would work, but no point me wasting £4 on adapter if it would not be an improvement.

My wife was like what the hell when I first set up the uv5r as a scanner in the car, now she wants it turned on every time we go out as she likes listening in on the chatter. Hence why I don't think she minded me buying the scanner. She has even spent 2 hours writing in all the frequencies and alpha tagging them. Another quick question bis there anything else besides pmr and cb FM frequencies that I can put into my scanner to make it a bit more lively hear in rural Wales, don't get me wrong pmr446 is surprisingly well in use hear in Wales especially with farmers, but being half watt radios no sooner than you have picked up the signal it has gone again.
I have fighter jets fly over my house quite regularly, could I listen to them or are they encrypted? Thank you for any help.
Southwales

Re: Can I use my moonraker cb mag mount for my scanner

Postby m0lsx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Yes a CB antenna will work with a scanner. It will not be a great antenna, but it will be better than the standard whip.
I use a mico mag on my handy from time to time & they are surprisingly good. We originally brought the micro mag so my daughter could operate her handheld from the car & I was so impressed at what £10 could do, I brought another one.
Put the PMR light simple into both your 5R & the scanner, they are used by all sorts of people.
https://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8

The 125 covers Military Air, so yes you could potentially hear those jets. The frequencies they are on, will depend upon your area, but if you use the google link in my signature, you can search this site for all sorts of bits & pieces.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Minus1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Military air freqs may be allocated on the basis of one of these:

- An Air Traffic Control centre (Swanwick) in which each freq is allocated to an area based very roughly on where one or more transmitters are.
(I spell it 'Swanik' because Swanwick confuses Americans, and wastes precious display space! :-)
For South Wales the main ones would be:
- Swanik South West ICF 278.6 and 135.15
- Swanik West ICF (Wales) 280.35 and 133.9
The boundary between these is rather vague and depends on where the aircraft is, it's height, whether it is descending or climbing, and when the controller is ready to hand the aircraft over to the next controller.
- Cardiff Radar 251.375
Listening to these will let you catch others as they usually give the frequency that they are handing over to.

- An airbase. (Some RAF bases make their "Defence Aerodrome Manual" available on the RAF website. This lists some airfield freqs, especially those that might be need by aircraft based elsewhere.)
- A squadron (each squadron will usually have it's own air-to-air frequences, which maybe NATO-wide.)
- A firing range.
- A refuelling area. (Which may be relatively large)
- Exercise freqs which can be used anywhere in the country, though some pop up more frequently is certain areas than others.
- Air Defence frequencies, sometimes refered to by 'TAD' numbers.
- Navy freqs - which may include both air and ship use.

There are over 6000 possible frequencies in the NATO band (230-399.9, excluding the Glideslope band 328.6-335.4, and TETRA at 380-385 and 399-395)
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Southwales » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:55 pm

m0lsx wrote:Yes a CB antenna will work with a scanner. It will not be a great antenna, but it will be better than the standard whip.
I use a mico mag on my handy from time to time & they are surprisingly good. We originally brought the micro mag so my daughter could operate her handheld from the car & I was so impressed at what £10 could do, I brought another one.
Put the PMR light simple into both your 5R & the scanner, they are used by all sorts of people.
https://ukradioscanning.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8

The 125 covers Military Air, so yes you could potentially hear those jets. The frequencies they are on, will depend upon your area, but if you use the google link in my signature, you can search this site for all sorts of bits & pieces.

Thank you, have put them in to my scanner, but when putting them on my uv5r using chirp I have the option of FM or NFM, I put the pmr uk licence free frequencies as NFM and that seems to work ok as I have picked up plenty on the licence free frequencies why driving around but Which one would be best to use?
Southwales

Postby Southwales » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 am

Minus1 wrote:Military air freqs may be allocated on the basis of one of these...

Thank you for your reply, So do the jets fly from swanwick over to Wales for training exercises? Do the radios on the jets reach all the way back to swanwick and if so is that because they are fly high or output at a high power? or do they use some kind of repeater system. Do they transmit and recieve on the same frequency?

Is there an air base in Anglesey? Thank you for any help.
Southwales

Postby Minus1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 am

Southwales wrote:Thank you for your reply, So do the jets fly from swanwick over to Wales for training exercises? Do the radios on the jets reach all the way back to swanwick and if so is that because they are fly high or output at a high power? or do they use some kind of repeater system. Do they transmit and recieve on the same frequency?

They don't "fly from Swanwick", the control centre at Swanwick is corrected by landline/microwave to NATS transmitters all over the country.
The nearest ones to you are at Clee Hill in Shropshire, and Davidstow Moor in Cornwall.
There's also a NATS civil transmitter at Winstone in Gloucs, but I don't know if that is used by Swanwick.

All AM aircraft comms are simplex (tx & rx on same freq), though transmitters can be 'bandboxed' with others so you hear the same output on all, but the connection is via landline/microwave not a 'radio' link.

RAF Valley is on Anglesey.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Southwales » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Minus1 wrote:
Southwales wrote:Thank you for your reply, So do the jets fly from swanwick over to Wales for training exercises? Do the radios on the jets reach all the way back to swanwick and if so is that because they are fly high or output at a high power? or do they use some kind of repeater system. Do they transmit and recieve on the same frequency?

They don't "fly from Swanwick", the control centre at Swanwick is corrected by landline/microwave to NATS transmitters all over the country.
The nearest ones to you are at Clee Hill in Shropshire, and Davidstow Moor in Cornwall.
There's also a NATS civil transmitter at Winstone in Gloucs, but I don't know if that is used by Swanwick.

All AM aircraft comms are simplex (tx & rx on same freq), though transmitters can be 'bandboxed' with others so you hear the same output on all, but the connection is via landline/microwave not a 'radio' link.

RAF Valley is on Anglesey.

Hi, thank you for the reply, so If I put the 4 frequencies that you have given me for swalik West and south west, do you think there is a good chance I will hear the overhead jets? Or will I need other frequencies?
Southwales

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat