Best Scanner

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Best Scanner

Postby LandingGearLaurie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:22 am

Hi Everyone,

My mate Brian is going to join us on here soon but he has asked me to ask for peoples recommendations of the best scanners on the market.
Please can you reply with 2 or 3 of your chosen scanners and why. Either homebase or portable it doesn’t matter.
His budget is £500 and he likes Air & Marine.

Over to you!
LandingGearLaurie
I Bare The Cross Of Coer De Lion!
LandingGearLaurie

Re: Best Scanner

Postby A N Tenner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 pm

LandingGearLaurie wrote:Hi Everyone,

My mate Brian is going to join us on here soon but he has asked me to ask for peoples recommendations of the best scanners on the market.
Please can you reply with 2 or 3 of your chosen scanners and why. Either homebase or portable it doesn’t matter.
His budget is £500 and he likes Air & Marine.

Over to you!

If he's just starting out I'd say he could do a lot worse than your 125xlt, definitely seems to be the best for the money...

How does he intend to listen? at home only? travellign about? bit of both?
A N Tenner

Postby LandingGearLaurie » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi there, yea thanks.
He’s now decided to be Homebase so this shoul narrow it down.
Any recommendations?
LandingGearLaurie
I Bare The Cross Of Coer De Lion!
LandingGearLaurie

Postby Scan125 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:54 pm

If he is 100% sure he is going to be only home based then for easy operation then a desktop scanner as opposed to a handheld scanner is probably going to be the more easy to use option.

The alternative is to go handheld but then use a PC control program to operate the scanner.

If there is a chance that he is likely to want to venture out (air shows, horse racing, motor sport, etc.) then unless he want's to have two scanners then a hand held scanner that can be computer controlled is his best option.

*If* the UBC125XLT takes his fancy then my *free* Scan125 Control Program is there to provide all the remote control functions he will ever need.

I would add that there are other makes of excellent scanners out there (both desktop and hand held) and I presume similar software.

If he has the money and wants to go up market then the likes of AOR AR-DV1 available which will bring digital as well as Short, Medium and Longwave reception and AM,FM,FM narrow,USB,LSB etc. into play/scope.

Another key point to note is that some people get disappointed when, like the UBC125XLT, they see FM then they think that they can also tune into commercial FM radio stations. This is not always that case so one has to be cautious on this point. Commercial FM radio use Wide Band FM whilst communications FM (like Marine) use Narrow Band FM. For some daft reason on the UBC125XLT they say FM and not NFM (narrow).
Scan125

Postby Minus1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:30 pm

UBC125XLT for handheld.
BCT15X for base/mobile.

Both have enough for local Air and Marine

BCT15X has enough channels (9000) for all civil ATC freqs, all large airports, all military airfields; and has GPS capability if you buy the GPS puck.
The UBC125XLT will require some reprogramming if you relocate.

To properly handle 8.33 kHz channels (narrow bandwidth), which are becoming more commonplace, you'd need to spend a LOT more money (AR-DV1 or AR-DV10, or the new Icom R8600)
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby A N Tenner » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 am

Scan125 wrote:If he is 100% sure he is going to be only home based then for easy operation then a desktop scanner as opposed to a handheld scanner is probably going to be the more easy to use option.

The alternative is to go handheld but then use a PC control program to operate the scanner.

If there is a chance that he is likely to want to venture out (air shows, horse racing, motor sport, etc.) then unless he want's to have two scanners then a hand held scanner that can be computer controlled is his best option.

*If* the UBC125XLT takes his fancy then my *free* Scan125 Control Program is there to provide all the remote control functions he will ever need.

I would add that there are other makes of excellent scanners out there (both desktop and hand held) and I presume similar software.

If he has the money and wants to go up market then the likes of AOR AR-DV1 available which will bring digital as well as Short, Medium and Longwave reception and AM,FM,FM narrow,USB,LSB etc. into play/scope.

Another key point to note is that some people get disappointed when, like the UBC125XLT, they see FM then they think that they can also tune into commercial FM radio stations. This is not always that case so one has to be cautious on this point. Commercial FM radio use Wide Band FM whilst communications FM (like Marine) use Narrow Band FM. For some daft reason on the UBC125XLT they say FM and not NFM (narrow).

Does the 125 have a USB (or similar) port to connect to the PC running the program? or do you need to take it apart and have any additional hardware to set it up?
A N Tenner

Postby Southwales » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Usb to mini usb and the cable is included, the same cable also charges the scanner plus connects to your pc, I am hopeless with computers but even I am now up and running with the scan 125 program.
Southwales

Postby A N Tenner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:50 am

Southwales wrote:Usb to mini usb and the cable is included, the same cable also charges the scanner plus connects to your pc, I am hopeless with computers but even I am now up and running with the scan 125 program.

Ahhh that's very interesting; I've been looking at a 125 for a while now but always envisaged the programming mods involved taking memory units out and using a reader to plug it to the PC (as my lower spec Uniden doesn't have a port I assumed that was par for the course), that's definitely made my mind up!
A N Tenner

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat