Advice and Help Please

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

Advice and Help Please

Postby STIRLING15 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:31 am

Hi All,

I have written something similar before but hey ho here goes again. I am looking for help and advice on aircraft scanning. I retired about 18 months ago and currently have a Yupiteru 7100 that I bought many moons ago. I have had a major lapse in my scanning hobby which has always been aircraft both civil and military but I stress on a very amateur level. I have a diamond 777 recently fitted with good low loss cable. I live in the Horwich area of Greater Manchester and get Civil and Military buzzing around. I noted on the civil front that from Jan 1st this year the step code has gone from the 25kHz I always used to now 8.33kHz. I have definitely not picked up as much since this has happened.
I know my Yupiteru is still a good unit but was wondering whether to change I have been waiting for the Icom r 30 unit to appear but it does not look likely at the moment. My quandary is should I change if so to what and should I think about a desk top unit to use when at home and thus keep the Yup for when out and about. Any help and advice on this would be very gratefully received form someone who is really struggling with the dilemma.

Many thanks in anticipation STIRLING15
STIRLING15

Re: Advice and Help Please

Postby m0lsx » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:13 pm

You problem as someone interested in aircraft is not does a scanner have a 8.33khz step. But does it have a real 8.33khz step.
The issue is that almost all scanners with 8.33khz steps do not also have an 8.33khz filter.
That is like putting traffic lights at a junction & then not turning them on.
What happens is that these radios are little better than your current radio, as they may have the step, but they will pick up signals on channels either side equally strongly as signals on the displayed frequency.
Air Band is not my main interest, but I believe some radios do have a proper 8.33khz step, but I could not tell you which they are.
Re the Icom.
Icom have a terrible reputation for it's handheld scanners being very poor at rejecting strong signals on frequencies you are not listening to. This means a local radio amateur, CB'er, Taxi company, pager system etc etc could possibly stop you listening to air band if they have a strong signal.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby STIRLING15 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:31 pm

Many thanks m0lsx I understand what you are saying, hopefully an aviation enthusiast may reply . But I think you have put the nail in my idea of an Icom unit!
STIRLING15

Postby G4RMT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:04 pm

The downside to the new frequency steps is that to squeeze in three channels into the space of one, the modulation depth has also reduced, so on 25KHz spaced radios, they appear a little 'deaf' too, apart from obviously hearing two people on different channels at the same time - however, on a portable antenna, the frequencies were cleverly chosen and distributed, so it's unlikely on the ground you will hear multiple users. The reduced modulation width makes fringe reception poorer too, but again, it isn't too bad a change. You can even buy second hand transceivers on Ebay now very cheaply as their owners buy new and sell off the old. These have pretty good scanning facilities - the Icoms are pretty decent - and you can pick them up for around 50-60 if you keep looking.
G4RMT

Postby Minus1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:20 pm

An SDR will allow you to narrow the bandwidth to something appropriate to 8.33 kHz, but this seems beyond the ability of most scanner manufacturers, as none of them fully understand 8.33 kHz channelling.
Even companies like Icom and Yaesu, who make professional airband transceivers for pilots, do not have the gumption to make a cheaper, receive only, version of the same thing.
An SDR does not of course allow you to scan.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby STIRLING15 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Thanks to all for replies I have gone for a UNIDEN SCANNER UBC 125XLT,so far getting great results . Very pleased with it and at £139 even more pleased at the price!!
STIRLING15

Postby Southwales » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 pm

STIRLING15 wrote:Thanks to all for replies I have gone for a UNIDEN SCANNER UBC 125XLT,so far getting great results . Very pleased with it and at £139 even more pleased at the price!!

Happy you like the scanner it is also the same scanner I opted for, but why the extra £30 https://www.radioworld.co.uk/uniden_ubc ... XgQAvD_BwE or here http://www.pjbox.co.uk/uniden-bearcat-u ... anner.html
Southwales

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat