What is this antenna

A place to talk about everything Radio and Scanning

What is this antenna

Postby Paul338 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi guys.

I have had this small antenna for a very long time for the vhf frequencies, it does a great job even being on the side of the house.
Could somebody tell me what this antenna is called, I have been looking around to see if they are still available.

Also I am thinking of moving it to the bottom of the garden with a good height, but this will mean having about 60 feet of coax and
I think this will reduce the gain.
Am I correct here.
Paul338

Re: What is this antenna

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:15 pm

The antenna design is called a Discone. A popular antenna for scanning.

I am not sure of the actual model you have, but if you could maybe higher it or clear it from the wall more it would serve you better :thumbup:
Steve

Postby Paul338 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Hi Steve.
Yes I know it is a discone, but it is the model I am after if possible, I know it is old.
As you can see, the antenna is just under the roof guttering, I have no way to get it higher and still
have it easy to get to for maintenance. I am a pensioner and there is no way I am going on the roof lol.
That is why I am thinking of moving it to the end of the garden on a big pole.

Paul
Paul338

Postby m0lsx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Paul338 wrote: Also I am thinking of moving it to the bottom of the garden with a good height, but this will mean having about 60 feet of coax and
I think this will reduce the gain.
Am I correct here.

There is no way of identifying the exact model of discone, unless it is written/stamped into the antenna & even then, the chances are they will have started making it more cheaply now if it's a few years old.
Most discones are made to a similar set of sizes & are all much the same now.
And if your discone has been up for several years, then the coax will have deteriorated, so moving the antenna & changing the Coax will possibly make you see little difference in performance, even if that new coax is longer. As simply being clear of the house & having newer coax should show an improvement for you.
The minimum quality Coax you want. This means the coax with the worst loss that you want is RG-213 & reasonable quality RG-213 would loose very little signal with 60 feet. Although there are better coaxes around & improvements on loss available.
Do not allow anyone to sell you RG-58 coax, that is totally unsuitable for scanning especially at longer lengths.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Steve » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:45 pm

If you could keep the same height and distance from the building but put it on the corner the clearance you would get would bring in more.

Unsure on the model. It is unusual with the larger downward radial as discones are usual symmetrical. That could be an aftermarket addition.
Steve

Postby Paul338 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply guys, we will see what we can do come the summer.
I can say that I have had the antenna for at least 6 years probably more.
Paul338

Postby Southwales » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Just a thought although as I am fairly new to scanning myself, understand you not wanting to get on the roof, but how about putting the antenna in the attic at the highest point, would this not be better than being at the side of your house? hopefully being more central in your attic and giving you more signals from all directions. Plus hopefully allowing you to keep your coax run as short as possible, hopefully the extra height will outweight the slight loss from it being under the roof tiles. Also I am finding 75ohm pf100 sky coax performing excellent due to its low loss on receive, plus it is not to expensive to buy.
Southwales

Postby Paul338 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks for the thought, the problem is that my loft area is now a double bedroom.
So back to the drawing board , :lol: :lol:
Paul338

Postby m0lsx » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Southwales wrote: How about putting the antenna in the attic at the highest point, would this not be better than being at the side of your house?

Not an ideal first choice, but an idea worth concidering if it's needed. As the roof gives attenuation in all directions & is full of electrical cables, so it COULD potentially also add a lot of QRM into the system.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:23 pm

That's actually a rather unusual discone - similar to the old Sky King - but what are those two thicker elements in the 'cone' section?
G4RMT

Next

Return to Radio and Scanning Chat