CB Long Wire + Vertical Combo

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

CB Long Wire + Vertical Combo

Postby Scan125 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:32 pm

OK this post has several questions.

I understand/accept the for local/distant line of sight and a little beyond a high quality well tuned dedicate 27MHz vertical (with/without radial elements) is the ideal solution.

I'm also believe? that for true long range DXing a long wire/horizontal antenna is better for maximising ground wave and "skip" properties

This begs some questions that maybe you guys and gals can answer. (Legal 4W and 12W SSB)

1) With a vertical what is the furthest distance you have operated (assume no ground obstructions and decent elevation)

2) With tuned long wire what is the furthest distance you have operated

3) Has anybody tried a long wire/vertical combo. (feed goes directly to connected vertical and long wire)

For me 3) is an interesting option which avoids duel feeds and an antenna switch. Will require an ATU and yes the tuned combo may not be optimal for both antennas but there may be/is there some mileage in running a combo.

Thoughts please.
Scan125

Re: CB Long Wire + Vertical Combo

Postby m0lsx » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:15 pm

Scan125 wrote:

1) With a vertical what is the furthest distance you have operated (assume no ground obstructions and decent elevation)

2) With tuned long wire what is the furthest distance you have operated

3) Has anybody tried a long wire/vertical combo. (feed goes directly to connected vertical and long wire)

The problem is that on CB frequencies you can easily work hundreds of miles on a wet piece of string & a watt or two during a lift.
I have worked the USA a few times on 10 meters FM using 5 watts & a compromise multi band antenna. One antenna is a Diamond CP-6. The other a small off centre fed dipole zig zagged around my loft.
Define a long wire? On CB, it reasonably could be seen as anything around a full wave or more. And what was the feed point impedance of the tuned long wire? And where was the wire tuned, as efficiency will be effected by both.
In your combined long wire vertical combo, what is the antenna? Does it have a lossy loading coil & in what combination are you using them?
If it's vertical with some extra wire added to the end. It is how I often operate my Miracle Whip & with a few meters of extra wire & a roach pole, I have had very good QRP results on various bands with that combination. But I do not normally use that on 10 meters.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: CB Long Wire + Vertical Combo

Postby BlackKnight_UK » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:44 am

I'm in Somerset, 6 miles inland from the Bristol Channel and 5 meters above sea level.

With a 5/8th wave vertical antenna 12 feet off the ground and a legal 4W FM radio on a Sunday morning I chatted to someone in Teignmouth in Devon and someone on Portland in Dorset - both 50 miles away.

I used to talk to people up to 20 miles away on a daily basis.

With "lift" conditions, the furthest I had a conversation with was Scotland, and I did get acknowledged by someone in Italy once before he faded out.
BlackKnight_UK

Return to The TX'ers Forum