Very odd problem? TYT 8000D

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

Very odd problem? TYT 8000D

Postby Sid » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi chaps,

Just bought a TYT 8000D.
I have several other handhelds including Baofeng / Yaesu / Wouxan.
I always programme them the same way: Channels 1 through 8 are the 446 pmr channels and chl 9 I use for the local repeater.

For some odd reason, the TYT will not communicate with any of the other radios when on Pmr channel 2 and the others will not communicate back?
It communicates fine on all the other Pmr channels!
All the other radios communicate fine with each other on Pmr 2.
I've double checked my programming and it seems fine. I'm lost - doesn't add up.

Any ideas please.

Cheers
Sid

Re: Very odd problem?

Postby m0lsx » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Have a word with G4RMT, he posted about having what sounds like, the same problem just a couple of weeks ago.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Re: Very odd problem? TYT 8000D

Postby G4RMT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:11 am

No - I've still not found the source of the problem - but I did find that starting from scratch, and adding a few channels, with what appear to be the same contents works - but something in the codeplug I modified must have caused it, yet isn't visible as a specific parameter, so much as I'd like to help - I'm still stuck!
G4RMT

Postby Sid » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 pm

G4RMT wrote:No - I've still not found the source of the problem - but I did find that starting from scratch, and adding a few channels, with what appear to be the same contents works - but something in the codeplug I modified must have caused it, yet isn't visible as a specific parameter, so much as I'd like to help - I'm still stuck!

Thanks for the reply.
Was yours a TYT handheld as well?
Sid

Postby G4RMT » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 am

It was a TYT having trouble talking to a GD-77 Radioddity. I've not been able to re-create the problem, so honestly I don't know if the problem was in one radio or the other.

I'm beginning to suspect that lots of radios use a common programming chip, and while the software gives you the ability to edit some parameters, there are probably others in there that are hidden as there is no function in a particular radio. So a UHF radio has an unused set of VHF attributes, and a digital radio might have a section used for something like zones, that sit there unused in the other radio that isn't digital. Somehow, when a cqodeplug is loaded in, it includes data in these unused sections that confuse it. This is a complete guess, but the similarity between some radios, often of different brands, is too similar for luck. I buy a lot of Chinese moving lights, and am amazed how common boards are inside, but just have unused outputs for components that don't exist. Probably simpler and cheaper to use common systems and then just programme them up.

In the radio, it's possible to imagine that your channel 2 somehow was set to digital reception which it can't do - so while all looks normal, it just won't work. Has to be something daft, doesn't it!
G4RMT

Postby Sid » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm

G4RMT wrote:It was a TYT having trouble talking to a GD-77 Radioddity. I've not been able to re-create the problem, so honestly I don't know if the problem was in one radio or the other.

I'm beginning to suspect that lots of radios use a common programming chip, and while the software gives you the ability to edit some parameters, there are probably others in there that are hidden as there is no function in a particular radio. So a UHF radio has an unused set of VHF attributes, and a digital radio might have a section used for something like zones, that sit there unused in the other radio that isn't digital. Somehow, when a cqodeplug is loaded in, it includes data in these unused sections that confuse it. This is a complete guess, but the similarity between some radios, often of different brands, is too similar for luck. I buy a lot of Chinese moving lights, and am amazed how common boards are inside, but just have unused outputs for components that don't exist. Probably simpler and cheaper to use common systems and then just programme them up.

In the radio, it's possible to imagine that your channel 2 somehow was set to digital reception which it can't do - so while all looks normal, it just won't work. Has to be something daft, doesn't it!

Yep, probably something simple I've overlooked I imagine.
Maybe I'll find the issue and then slap myself.... :laughs:
Sid

Return to The TX'ers Forum