Baofeng legal use

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

Re: Baofeng legal use

Postby 2E0UCW » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 am

Jonnyt,

In regards to the question you asked ("I was just wondering, why is everyone saying that using a Baofeng UV-5R is illegal on PMR446 or UK Simple bands?") and having looked back on the TM1 thread, the answer is simple - every person is giving their interpretation of the law that they have read, heard or been told. This should have answered your original question. However as the thread extended to around 7 pages at present and having gone back over the thread, I'm wondering if your original question was in fact correct or are you trying to prove that they are legal?

There are 3 topics which need to be handled with care on these forums - Baofeng's, D-Star and Foundation License.
2E0UCW

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Just up the road from EGLL)

Postby jonnyt-radio » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:14 pm

M6UCW wrote:Jonnyt,

In regards to the question you asked ("I was just wondering, why is everyone saying that using a Baofeng UV-5R is illegal on PMR446 or UK Simple bands?") and having looked back on the TM1 thread, the answer is simple - every person is giving their interpretation of the law that they have read, heard or been told. This should have answered your original question. However as the thread extended to around 7 pages at present and having gone back over the thread, I'm wondering if your original question was in fact correct or are you trying to prove that they are legal?

There are 3 topics which need to be handled with care on these forums - Baofeng's, D-Star and Foundation License.

Well, I got my questions answered. And yes, they are indeed legal in my opinion. The are CE marked and tested, and conform to the IRs of both Amateur Radio and PMR46 (if limited to 500mW). And for the ones that say that you can't use more than on service on a single radio, I got a nice email from OfCom today:

Whilst here at Ofcom we cannot issue legal advice I can say that the short answer to your question would be yes, a single radio would/could allowed to be used for multiple licenses/Interface Requirements? [sic] As long as that radio set conforms to both IR's and that individual or Business holds the appropriate licence with the appropriate body.

So that's sorted. Limit the Baofeng to 500mW and it's fine on PMR446.

Foundation licenses and DStar are both legal. No questions.
jonnyt-radio

Postby m0lsx » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:25 pm

jonnyt-radio wrote:

Whilst here at Ofcom we cannot issue legal advice I can say that the short answer to your question would be yes, a single radio would/could allowed to be used for multiple licenses/Interface Requirements? [sic] As long as that radio set conforms to both IR's and that individual or Business holds the appropriate licence with the appropriate body.

I would look at the above again..
Ofcom first state...
A single radio would/could allowed to be used for multiple licenses/Interface Requirements.

and that individual or Business holds the appropriate licence..

PMR 446 is licence free & Ofcom clearly state that it was an opinion that it COULD be legal to use on multiple types of licence. Provided that it conforms to the requirements of those licences.
So your opinion that it is legal has not altered, but it has not been confirmed as correct by ofcom either.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby 2E0UCW » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:35 pm

JonnyT,

Despite what you've heard and been told, based on your question regarding Baofengs and PMR446 - they are illegal to use on this band unless you make modifications and then you would have to do test to ensure they adhere to all rules, regulations and power output.
2E0UCW

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Just up the road from EGLL)

Previous

Return to The TX'ers Forum