ICOM 706MK11G

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

Re: ICOM 706MK11G

Postby T2tim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:48 pm

Iam a newly licensed ham. And yes you are correct, I should have walked away so if its faulty then its my look out. However, I spoke to someone local this morning who's put me in touch with a local Ham who may be able to test the radio for me properly. But he told me himself, that some hams do use their HF radios on 11m despite the fact its illegal to do so. And no, HF radios very rarely go up for sale in Oxfordshire which forced me to look elsewhere, so I can only assume people just hold on to them. Although I dont think there is anything peculiar about that. However, the ham I bought the radio from did tell me something that I considered to be positive: "if you have any problems bring it back to me infact I would even refund you if you were not happy" he had no reason to say that just to get the sale either, because that was said after I had given him the money for the radio! Whilst anyone can disappear at will, why would they need to say that? So he maybe genuine after all. I only just remembered he said that today, probably becsuse I tend to focus on the negative things.
T2tim

Postby m0lsx » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:19 pm

T2tim wrote: I spoke to someone local this morning who's put me in touch with a local Ham who may be able to test the radio for me properly. But he told me himself, that some hams do use their HF radios on 11m despite the fact its illegal to do so. .

Here in Norwich a couple of years ago I heard a little group discussing an up coming amateur radio club committee meeting on CB & by the sounds of it, at least two of the 10-4 good buddies were on the committee. You also occasionally hear familiar voices on Echo Charlie from time to time. In fact a recording was put up a few weeks ago where someone accidently used his G7 callsign on EC :shocker: :shocker: :mrgreeny:
So yes, some people still use CB, despite being licensed.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby T2tim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:11 pm

I think CB does have one advantage over Amatuer Radio, in that its more laid back and easy going, and therfore allows shall we say, more freedom of speech. If you like CB is jeans and Tshirt while Ham is suit and tie. Because of this Many people find it more relaxing, rather than having to talk like a bunch of Police officers. (At least thats the perspective I see it from anyway) The only thing that attracted me to Amateur radio was the access to the short wave bands for DXing, which dramatically increases your chances in obtaining those International contacts, rather than having to wait for the right conditions on CB. And when I get my full licence, I wont be restricted to 10 watts. It therefore Opens up a whole new world for me, or will if my 706 is putting out more than 10 watts lol.
T2tim

Postby T2tim » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:34 pm

Re- THE LAW: point taken about transmitting places you shouldnt can cause more trouble than just monitoring frequencies. But however you try to dress the scanning hobby up, listening to frequencies that are not intended for the general public is still illegal, meaning that your still breaking the law end of. Unfortunately this is something most people refuse to aknowledge and admit, just as speeding motorists often deny they were speeding to the Police, untill they see the video being played back to them.
T2tim

Previous

Return to The TX'ers Forum