Hot Indoor Loft antenna Question!

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

Re: Hot Indoor Loft antenna Question!

Postby Chris P » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:38 pm

essexRXer wrote:Since my last post I had invested in a new mag-mount 5/8 antenna, I acquired a sheet of metal 1.1m x 1.1m and SWR'd it up in my loft, I managed 1:5 as my highest reading.

I compared the two build that I had and still found that the V was better, so I moved the Magmount setup to my Conservatory roof and SWR'd again.

Still it was no better :sad:

I have adjusted the V into a subtle W and now it reads 1:1 across all 40 channels. Today I got some very good signal reports from other stations, they were nearby, however I still find them hard to read them. The solution is to put a real antenna up against the house, but because of the performance of a Magmount; I am reluctant to do so.

If they read me at 9+, there must be something I am not doing!

Yet again I have purchased something that performs no better than a homebrew that I knocked up myself, when will I learn. I am beginning to become quite dissonant about radio and scanning. :sneer:

We have all bought a commercial antenna only to find that a homebrew simple bit of wire works far better than the expensive glass fibre covered so called high gain with whistles one . However if you are being received 5&9+ but are having difficulties receiving the other stations it puts a question mark on your receiver`s sensitivity perhaps there is an issue with the switching circuitry or even misalignment in the receiver front end or IF. Is there someone else that can try out their rig on your antennas to compare their RX against yours
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby m0lsx » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Chris P wrote: However if you are being received 5&9+ but are having difficulties receiving the other stations it puts a question mark on your receiver`s sensitivity perhaps there is an issue with the switching circuitry or even misalignment in the receiver front end or IF. Is there someone else that can try out their rig on your antennas to compare their RX against yours

It could also be overload from a strong local signal else where or even local QRM. I get up to S30 of QRM here on some bands.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby essexRXer » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:22 am

Another update,

I have now relocated the whole antenna to the exterior of the house, when vertical it would run from the ground up to the fascia of the house, so I have run the inner half up a gutter pipe and put the ground plain in some trunking along the top of the lean to, it is very stealthy :)

It is now an L shaped dipole, the SWR varies from 1.1:5 to 2 and I get good reports, the signal received seems better but it is early days.
essexRXer

Postby G4RMT » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:14 pm

White pipe or grey? Only asking because the grey type often has carbon (or something similar) in it which lowers the resonant frequency as I discovered making some VHF aerials - 145MHz measurements appeared to make out resonant at 136, which I wasn't prepared for!

Neat idea to keep it stealthy, though!
G4RMT

Previous

Return to The TX'ers Forum