LEGO Digital Walkie Talkies?

Forum for CB, PMR, Ham, Business users, GMRS, Repeaters and all other TX Chat

LEGO Digital Walkie Talkies?

Postby Davie Boy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Hey all....

I just noticed the LEGO Walkie Talkies on the images page on the uk scanning directory site here (near page bottom)....

http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/images.html

Along with radio I also collect Lego so they appealed to me....

So.... I thought I'd have a look for one.... or rather a pair....

None on Amazon though they have had them and have a little info on them.... so next logical step was ebay and then I was intrigued...

Lego Digital Blue Walkie Talkies very rare
Kids of all ages love their LEGO bricks! Now, you can have quality walkie-talkies with cool LEGO styling so you can stay connected to fellow LEGO maniacs up to a mile away! They are easy to use - one channel, simple push-to-talk-button and volume control so no one around you can hear your secrets! Each Walkie Talkie is topped with a clip so you can attach it to your belt loop and carry with you wherever you go!

£280.00

£280 quid for one?... and DIGITAL?

I know some ebay sellers are less than accurate with their descriptions but I found other places describing them as digital.... the trouble is I can't for life of me find any more specs or info about them online?.... dont even know if they are VHF or UHF or what frequency (they are 1 channel so only 1 frequency) or what type of digital/analogue modulation they are?

As I saw them on the scanning directory site and this is the forum connected to that site I thought where better to ask than here? so....

Can anybody tell me more about these Digital Lego Radios?
Davie Boy

Re: LEGO Digital Walkie Talkies?

Postby Mark5R » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:44 am

People can ask for £280 but they aint worth that.

They arent digital though its easy to mistake them as such as the brand name is 'Digital Blue' so they are listed as Digital Blue Lego Walkie Talkies but they are analogue. One channel set on either a pmr446 or gmrs frequency. I cant remember now it was a while back but we managed to sync them with either a 446 or gmrs pair so def not digital.
Whistler TRX-2 ~ Funcube Dongle Pro+
Baofeng UV-5R ~ Baofeng UV-3R+
GRE PSR-225 ~ Uniden Bearcat BCT-15X
Cobra 29LTD ~ Cobra MT115
Mark5R

Postby G4RMT » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Not lying though are they? Up to a mile is as legal as up to 50mbs internet - which I have and don't get. I don't get cross any longer. It's a stupid use of technical comment but easy enough to prove to the authorities as perfectly possible, just very unlikely!
G4RMT

Postby Mark5R » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:27 pm

Yes it would be much better if they said the possible range and likely range for instance instead of saying 5km range (as I see often for 446 radios) they should say typical range half a km but can be much more in wide open spaces. Of course they would sell a lot less as 5km range is a lot more appeal-able than half a km.

A common misconception people have is they have no idea of repeaters. They see police etc using their handheld radios and think they are all back to back over many miles. Then they get their walkie talkies in and wonder why they are breaking up when they get a few streets away from their home. :rolleyes:
Whistler TRX-2 ~ Funcube Dongle Pro+
Baofeng UV-5R ~ Baofeng UV-3R+
GRE PSR-225 ~ Uniden Bearcat BCT-15X
Cobra 29LTD ~ Cobra MT115
Mark5R

Postby m0lsx » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Any one remember the now banned BT Wi-Fi best range advert? Well the advertisers do sometimes get caught out. BT used an advert showing vertical range. I.E. Minimum path attenuation to claim a range that would not be possible with different path attenuation & the advertising watchdog upheld the complaints.
Part of the reason was the testing methodology, which was found to be lacking. In fact BT admitted to not testing in a way that was real world, with other signals present & deliberately did not test that way, as that would have negatively impact the signal range.
Maybe if we complained we could change thing? I complained about an antenna advert a few years ago that claimed a massive gain over other designs. I spoke to someone at trading standards explaining the science & why the claim was doubious to say the least.
In the end my complaint was upheld, not because I was right. But because they did not have any pre existing evidence to uphold their claim. It is not what they can prove, it is what they already have proved that matters & the way they have proved it.
Oh & G4RMT, I too get the claimed 50mbs, but as a norm we seem to see around 40 to 56mbs & I have seen higher than 56 on a few occasions.

Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:16 pm

I didn't know that AD had been banned. I see why, of course!
G4RMT

Postby Davie Boy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Mark5R wrote:People can ask for £280 but they aint worth that.

They arent digital though its easy to mistake them as such as the brand name is 'Digital Blue' so they are listed as Digital Blue Lego Walkie Talkies but they are analogue. One channel set on either a pmr446 or gmrs frequency. I cant remember now it was a while back but we managed to sync them with either a 446 or gmrs pair so def not digital.

Just the info I was looking for.... thanks :thumbup:
Davie Boy

Return to The TX'ers Forum