UK Events/Simple Site/Short term Hire Frequencies

Find all National Usage Frequencies in here used all over The UK

Re: UK Events/Simple Site/Short term Hire Frequencies

Postby bigboyblue » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:02 pm

Although some events that have gone digital, simply add more channels to their systems.

For instance - goodwood festival of speed and goodwood revival

Goodwood estate, who run the event, have their own capacity plus system, on 3 repeaters (so 6 channels) for all year round use on the estates side, and the horse race course.

When the festival / revival comes along, the radio supplier puts in a single digital repeater for the main 'event control' channel (unknown why, perhaps for resilliance against system failure of the big system), and then goes about adding repeaters to their existing capacity plus system, on short term hire freqs. The capacity plus system uses the extra voice paths for the massive boost in users on the system (over 200 radios on 16 talkgroups last year).
bigboyblue

Postby grumpy46 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:59 pm

hi thanks for al those freq,problem im haveing is im not picking anything up atall,its says its scanning it stops on freq i put in but i cant here anything john just buzzing.been on it a few days now and nothing im in scotland like mountains all round us,im wanting to get a decent arial on this scanner instead of this small rubber duck one could you recomend a good handheld scanner arial,i have a huge tree in the garden bigger than my house could this affect my signal?i ordered a telescopic arial but it hasent come yet,i thought i would off picked something up john,its still scanning and nothing thanks john craig.
grumpy46

Postby G4RMT » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:54 am

If you hear a buzz on the short term hire frequencies, then it's pretty well going to be digital. However - you must remember that rubber duck type aerials really mean VERY short range comms. The tree, in full foliage will attenuate signals, but I suspect they're not there in the first place. All the adverts for radios that even mention a range should be laughed at. Range is entirely context based. You can get accurate software that will let you enter an aerial, the frequency, the aerial's gain, the height above the ground, and then the same for the other end. It calculates path loss in dB, and if this is within the capability of the equipment, it pretty well works. Remove the aerial from the high clear point and drop it down to your window sill, and if it's a rubber duck type then it's total luck. For example, where I'm sitting, I can hear loads of marine users - as despite the trees, the sea is 1 mile away, downhill. I work from home for a decent amount of time, and in my studio at the rear, I hear absolutely nothing! The RF trying to go through the house.

Loads of posters on here say simply they cannot hear anything - and the solution could be really simple, but we don't know your geography.

First question - is there actually any local radio activity to hear? Do you see people close to you with radios. If their radios work outside your house, then yours will too. People using hand held radios just a mile or two away may simply be too far away unless you install bigger outside aerials. If you live within half a mile of an airport, then you will hear loads of things. Move to a mile, and you lose lots. Move to ten miles and you hear the planes flying overhead and probably you cannot hear the tower. You might hear the approach, because this often comes from somewhere else, aerial wise - which could be nearer to you, and they are usually more powerful ground stations. If you live in an area with hills, or worse, mountains - then living in a valley is bad news. The general rule being that if you can see it, you can hear it. You can hear the astronauts in the space station when they are overhead on your rubber duck aerial, yet you cannot hear something much more powerful, if there are obstacles between them and you. If you can get a topographic map, you can often predict the best directions for your reception.
G4RMT

Postby Staffs Paul » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:27 am

456.3875 and 456.9875 busy with bonfire and fireworks display here (Rudyard Lake, Leek) on saturday
Staffs Paul

Postby Minus1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:16 am

This site provides examples of what multiple types of digital transmissions sound like on an analog receiver:
http://www.kb9ukd.com/digital/
"buzzing" is too simple a word for it :mrgreeny:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Previous

Return to Nationwide UK Scanner Frequencies