Grantham / Waltham

Find and post all your Civil and Military HF, VHF & UHF Frequencies Here

Grantham / Waltham

Postby deiraq » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi Does anyone know what ATC frequencies are retransmitted from Grantham in Lincolnshire - presumably from the Waltham on the Wolds TV transmitter mast five miles south west of Grantham. Thanks. :smiles:
deiraq

Re: Grantham / Waltham

Postby milly » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:30 pm

There are several TX sites local to there and the NATS site is not the same one as the idiot-box one.

May or may not be accurate*: http://www.air.radiouk.com/page38.html

*spelling certainly not too good
milly

Postby Minus1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:47 pm

Definitely:
123.95 Shanwick
124.6 London Info East
131.125 London Control
133.8 Scottish Control
I didn't have time to stop long when I passed by in 2014, so may be more.

It's near Waltham on the Wolds, on the A607; the "Grantham" label is a misnomer.
It's not the TV mast, NATS have their own mast.
52°49'28.56"N 0°47'54.84"W
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby milly » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:23 am

As an aside, for anyone wanting to know the locations of the transmitter sites NATS produced gis and kml output which shows the 'protected' area (the area they will automatically object to things like wind turbines being built) around each site. The sites aren't shown as a 'point' but put a pin at the centre of the circle....

http://www.nats.aero/services/informati ... ment-maps/
milly

Postby Minus1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:28 am

Very interesting for all kinds of reasons.

The High Buston site in Northumberland isn't shown at all. Is it no longer used for civil ATC?

The reported site at Rhu Stafnish on the Kintyre peninsula isn't shown. Explains why I couldn't detect any signals there some years ago.

There is more than just a VOR at St Abbs, Lands End, and Midhurst.

There is more than just a radar tower at Eaglescott in Devon.

The reported site on Anglesey is at Mona, not Valley, which explains why I never detected any strong ATC signals at Valley!

Some sites have just one circle centred on the transmitter site, some have a second or third circle which is offset somewhat. I wonder if this indicates some directional transmission/reception?
The most offset is Preston, and indicates some direction towards Dublin, which seems understandable.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Minus1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:56 pm

As mentioned above most (but not all) of these sites have two transmitters located within a few miles of each other.
I've found that whilst the Pailton site is comparitively near to the Daventry site, there does not appear to be anything transmitted from Pailton on a regular basis.

I am now wondering if the transmit and receive masts are kept separate to reduce interference, as it is not unlikely that transmissions may occur simultaneously on multiple frequencies?
Minus1

Postby Minus1 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 am

As suspected and mentioned previously, the site at High Buston in Northumberland is defunct as far as civil ATC is concerned. I detected no ATC ground transmissions at all in the area when I passed thru last week. The area is covered by transmitters at Craigowl hill near Dundee (line of sight coverage down the coast well into Northumberland), Great Dun Fell near Penrith, and Rothwell in Lincolnshire.
The site is still active for military communications (RAF Boulmer CTC) using rather obvious dark green cylindrical active antennas, as visible on Google Streetview.
Minus1

Return to Airband Air Frequencies