Directional antenna?

Find and post all your Civil and Military HF, VHF & UHF Frequencies Here

Directional antenna?

Postby PanPilot » Tue May 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Hi all... I am new to this site, but I was hoping for some advice. As someone just started training towards a UK PPL, one of the things I have difficulty with is the R/T. I figured that listening to the R/T traffic would help me become familiar and more at ease with it. The problem is that the airport is some 20 miles away, and although I can hear aircraft on the local frequencies perfectly well, I only get one side of it - in other words, I can't hear the tower. I was wondering if the solution was something like a Yagi on a mast would work, probably with a separate receiver to avoid the complication of two aerials and mixing signals etc. Has anyone any experience or advice at all? I would prefer to buy off-the-shelf, but I am quite capable of making an antenna if necessary.
Thanks! J
PanPilot

Re: Directional antenna?

Postby G4RMT » Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Commercially, you can buy hairband directional antennas - usually 4-6 element yogis that give 6-18dBd gain. They're generally a bit chunky, heavy and need a decent mount if you are thinking about putting them on the roof, but if cost isn't an issue - then Google amphenol-jaybeam

https://amphenolprocom.com/products/base-station-antennas/2471-s-cr-120-127
https://amphenolprocom.com/products/base-station-antennas/2445-s-6y-127

This could be still not a good solution, depending on topography - if there is high ground between you, then there simply isn't an RF path and no antenna is going to do the job. 20m, with flattish ground and one of these should produce some useful results.
G4RMT

Postby PanPilot » Tue May 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks for the response, @G4RMT.

I'll follow up on your suggestions, and also get my OS map out !

Best regards J.
PanPilot

Postby G4RMT » Wed May 08, 2019 1:16 pm

try this link.
http://www.heywhatsthat.com/profiler.html
You can enter two locations and see the path between them - it will give you a great idea before you spend any money.
G4RMT

Postby PanPilot » Fri May 10, 2019 6:26 am

@G4RMT, that was a most useful suggestion about the 'heywhatsthat' terrain profiler, thanks.
I checked the elevation profile, in fact the line-of-sight path is only just over 13 miles, with the maximum obstruction (in only one or two places) of about 50 feet. Given that the antenna at the airport will be well elevated, and mine will be maybe 15 feet A.G.L., I wouldn't expect any problem.
Thanks again!
J
PanPilot

Postby G4RMT » Fri May 10, 2019 11:07 pm

I always get surprised by what these things reveal. Best of luck then!
G4RMT

Return to Airband Air Frequencies