London 135.585 Northwest UK.

Find and post all your Civil and Military HF, VHF & UHF Frequencies Here

London 135.585 Northwest UK.

Postby nickjaxe » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi all...been listening to the high-level freq covering from the midlands to Northern England and part of the Irish sea.

I live in Merseyside and see a lot of Trans Atlantic high-level stuff come up from the south over the south west of Manchester and then out over Southport to cross Ireland on there way stateside.

I listen to them on 135.585 logging on east of Birmingham and monitor there progress on flight radar...but once up at cruising altitude and out over the Irish sea I hear no more reports from the US bound aircraft not even being told to change to en-route frequencies by the ground controler..

Like tonight...watched 2 Fed Ex flight come up from the south...around 70mls apart...hear both log onto 135.585 approaching the midlands...make a few transmission then nothing I watch them as they route way past Belfast...its as if the leave to freq without saying.

Anybody any clues why this should be...I have a good rooftop VHFdipole antenna that has a fantastic range so these aircraft are not out of range...but no further transmission are heard after the first few on coming up on the freq.

Nick.
nickjaxe

Re: London 135.585 Northwest UK.

Postby Minus1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:08 am

Well, your fundamental error is that the frequency is 135.575 MHz, but it is an 8.33 kHz channel identified over ATC as "135.580".
(I prefer to write channels as 135:580 to more obviously distinguish them from frequencies.)
Professional airband transceivers know that "135.580" is a channel number, not a frequency.
Your scanner does not.
You have to teach your brain to convert it to the right frequency.

This table may help:
http://g3asr.co.uk/calculators/833kHz.htm

If you are genuinely tuned to 135.58 MHz, that will explain why you don't hear them as they get further away, you are off frequency and the scanner cannot detect a weak off-frequency signal.

There is no scanner that I know of that correctly shows 8.33 kHz channels on the display, though any professional airband transceiver such as the Yeasu FTA-250 does.
Sadly, no manufacturer of such transceivers (Yeasu and Icom) seem to have had the gumption to produce a receive only version.

135:580 is transmitted from the Kelsall transmitter.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Chris P » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 am

In addition to Minus 1`s comments ,some of the Aircraft on the routes you are following will also cross the FIR boundary so should change to a Shannon ATCC frequency once they approach the boundary. once you tune to the correct frequency you should hear the aircraft acknowledge the frequency change but will probably miss the atc controllers transmission as the kelsall TX may be out of your reception range depending on the terrain between your home and the Kelsall TX
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby AndrewIrvine » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Minus1 wrote:Well, your fundamental error is that the frequency is 135.575 MHz, but it is an 8.33 kHz channel identified over ATC as "135.580".
(I prefer to write channels as 135:580 to more obviously distinguish them from frequencies.)
Professional airband transceivers know that "135.580" is a channel number, not a frequency.
Your scanner does not.
You have to teach your brain to convert it to the right frequency.

This table may help:
http://g3asr.co.uk/calculators/833kHz.htm

If you are genuinely tuned to 135.58 MHz, that will explain why you don't hear them as they get further away, you are off frequency and the scanner cannot detect a weak off-frequency signal.

There is no scanner that I know of that correctly shows 8.33 kHz channels on the display, though any professional airband transceiver such as the Yeasu FTA-250 does.
Sadly, no manufacturer of such transceivers (Yeasu and Icom) seem to have had the gumption to produce a receive only version.

135:580 is transmitted from the Kelsall transmitter.

Another fundamental error is that the north west of England or even the Irish Sea is not the north west of the UK. Those who claim it is kind of annoy millions of Scottish people, who live in the UK. The same as people in the Newcastle area etc claim to be in the north east of the UK.
Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888, Uniden 3600XLT

"I'm listening"..
AndrewIrvine

Return to Airband Air Frequencies