Alinco DX-R8 & HDSDR

SWLing and TX Forum, for everything below 30MHz...

Alinco DX-R8 & HDSDR

Postby welshmonitor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Does anybody have any idease on how to use the SDR function of the Alinco DX-R8 with HDSDR please?
I Have connected the receiver from the IQ port on the rear of the receiver to a USB port on my PC using the Alinco ERW-7 cable, I have downloaded an installed the appropriate drivers for the cable, I have also downloaded the appropriate driver & .dll file for HDSDR and everything is connected correctly as far as I can see.

However when I start HDSDR i just get an error msg & no matter what settings etc I try in HDSDR it just will not work. I have uninstalled HDSDR & the drivers for the cable and reinstalled them, just to make sure, but I still get the error msg :huh: In the settings of HDSDR there is a "Select Input" which has the Alinco listed & selected, but it still will not work.

If anybody has any ideas or a solution to this then I would very much appreciate any help.

Thanks & regards

Welshmonitor
welshmonitor

Re: Alinco DX-R8 & HDSDR

Postby welshmonitor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Just a quick update, the error msg I am getting from HDSDR is " Unspecified Sound Error: Code 1"
welshmonitor

Postby Scan125 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:03 pm

I think your problem is this:

You said: "I Have connected the receiver from the IQ port on the rear of the receiver to a USB port on my PC using the Alinco ERW-7 cable".

This is not correct. The ERW-7 interface should be connected to the Alinco's "CLONE JACK SOCKET" on the back panel - numbered(4) in the user manual.

The IQ out socket on the back panel, numbered (5) in the user manual should be connected to your PC's sound card mic or line input.

If you want a *free* PC control program which is very function rich (but lacks IQ processing) then have a look at my DriveR8 Control Program.

See link in my signature below.
Scan125

Postby welshmonitor » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Nick. Yep now you have pointed it out I see the problem, talk about schoolboy error :embarrased:

With regards to your Driver8 program I have got that installed and use it fairly well, I was hoping to link up to HDSDR purely for the bandscope function.

I must admit that the KGSDR program, that is Alinco's choice is absolute pants, and I uninstalled it after about the first 5 minutes, you would think that a company as big as Alinco would actually produce or at least pay a company to produce a decent software for the DX-R8 :huh:

Anyway thanks for the info, and I do like your program very much :thumbup: considering it is a from scratch program, it has a lot of functions & preforms very well indeed :thumbup:

Regards
welshmonitor

Postby welshmonitor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Further to my original post & the very kind & helpful advice, I have finally had time to sit down and try the advice from scan125 but now find myself with yet another/same problem :dizzy:
I have connected the cables for the Alinco DX-R8 correctly as per one of the replies above (Thank you scan125 :smiles: ) but now I'am getting the same error of "Unspecified Sound Error Code1"
I have tried everything I can think of to correct this, even came back and double checked the correct placements of the cable as per scan125's instruction, but the error still persists.

Does anybody have anything at all that they can think of that will let HDSDR & my Alinco DX-R8 work together without errors ??

Any help or advice is very much appreciated

Thank you
welshmonitor

Postby Scan125 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Sorry I've been away on hols for 4 weeks.

Have you tried the KDSR software that Alinco link to?

This works for me and helps getting your basic setup and cabling correct. From there you can then try HDSDR again.

Just a suggestion. :happy:
Scan125

Postby welshmonitor » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Nick, Yeah I have tried the KGSDR. Followed the instructions to the letter, made sure I downloaded and installed the FTDI driver etc. As soon as I open KGSDR I get an error msg saying "Could Not Open The Recoding Device"

I have tried several times to get this to work with HDSDR, SDR# and KGSDR but it just will not work, the only program that will work for me is the DriveR8 program that was written by Nick Bailey on this site. It is a great program & I use it quite often, but like all things that dont work I want to know why & not be beaten by a computer :laughs:

Anyway thank you very much for the reply, it is most appreciated

Welshmonitor
welshmonitor

Return to HF & Shortwave