108.5916 - how to find who's transmitting

For all your radio modifications, manuals, tips, reviews and guides

108.5916 - how to find who's transmitting

Postby Throbber » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:20 am

Hey peeps,

Had this frequency hit my close call om my BCT15X today (108.5916 on AM), can anybody recommend a site that i can find out where it's coming from.

The transmission seemed to be digital in nature.

thanks

Uniden BCT 15X
Air Band J Pole
Realistic PRO 2006
Realistic DX 300
DVB -T 820T2
QYT KT-7900D Quad Band
CRT SS9900
Baefong UV5
Himalaya WB Antenna
Throbber

Re: 108.5916 - how to find who's transmitting

Postby Minus1 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:09 pm

Did you happen to be near an airport?

If not where EXACTLY were you?

That band is allocated thus:

108 - 117.975 MHz Aeronautical Radionavigation (Primary)

5.197A - Additional allocation: the band 108-117.975 MHz is also allocated on a primary basis to the aeronautical mobile (R) service, limited to systems operating in accordance with recognized international aeronautical standards. Such use shall be in accordance with Resolution 413 (Rev.WRC-07)*. The use of the band 108-112 MHz by the aeronautical mobile (R) service shall be limited to systems composed of ground-based transmitters and associated receivers that provide navigational information in support of air navigation functions in accordance with recognized international aeronautical standards. (WRC-07)

UK4.1 - Safety and Airspace Regulation Group (SARG) is responsible for the safe and efficient use of both civil and military airspace. Civil licences are distributed by the Civil Aviation Authority on behalf of Ofcom. Military permissions are co-ordinated with the CAA.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby FreqFreak » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Can't imagine it's a genuine signal on that freq, probably CC latching onto an image/harmonic/sprog or a mix of two strong signals
FreqFreak

Postby Throbber » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:41 am

[quote="Minus1"]Did you happen to be near an airport?

If not where EXACTLY were you?

That band is allocated thus:

108 - 117.975 MHz Aeronautical Radionavigation (Primary)

Hey there Minus1,
No where near an airport, nearest is Swansea at approx 22 miles and Cardiff at approx 30 miles,my exact location is:- Latitude / Longitude: 51.53316° / -3.69205°.
Been scanning for about 2 years and never heard this before, it came up on the close scan which got my attention and yes i drew the same conclusion as you, some sort of Aeronautical/Astro signal.
It originally started with a very strong signal (hence on my close call) but over the course of around 2 hrs slowly got got weaker until it dropped off, so i would summise it was moving ?.
Could not find signal on FM, USB,LSB,DSB or cw, just AM ?

Uniden BCT 15X
Air Band J Pole
Realistic PRO 2006
Realistic DX 300
DVB -T 820T2
QYT KT-7900D Quad Band
CRT SS9900
Baefong UV5
Himalaya WB Antenna
Throbber

Postby Minus1 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 am

"The use of the band 108-112 MHz by the aeronautical mobile (R) service shall be limited to systems composed of ground-based transmitters and associated receivers that provide navigational information in support of air navigation functions in accordance with recognized international aeronautical standards. (WRC-07)"

So virtually impossible that anything real you heard was moving.

As FreqFreak says, probably a fake signal. If you'd had two receivers of different type, chances are that it would only have been on one.

With several electricity sub-stations near you, and a railway line 50m away, all kinds of things might have come together to cause the fake signal.

Whenever traffic happens to queue back to my house from nearby traffic lights, I get all manner of weird signals on random frequencies caused by vehicle electric systems and/or radios.

Always worth checking Close Call is on whenever you get anything strong.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Return to Radio & Scanner Mods, Manuals and Tips