USC230E Aerial

For all your radio modifications, manuals, tips, reviews and guides

USC230E Aerial

Postby Toutatis » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:37 am

Hi

I'm based in the UK and have recently purchased the USC230E. I'm new to scanning and I was wondering if it's worth upgrading the aerial.

I intend to use it to listen to airband mostly but will also use close call to pick up any interesting frequencies when out and about I use it from home (I'm about 3miles from Leeds Bradford at a slightly lower elevation) at the airport and just when I'm out and about.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a static aerial when at home and then an aerial for when mobile. As I'm interested in airband aerials that are focused on those frequencies would be best. I could always switch to the standard aerial should I find something using close call not in the airband range.

Many thanks

Matt
Toutatis

Re: USC230E Aerial

Postby m0lsx » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:01 am

Most of the airband specific antennas are in reality no better than amateur radio dual banders. Probably due to the size of the air band & the fact that even a resonant antenna, will only be resonant on a couple of MHz at most, that is unless inefficient loading coils are used & that is not a resonant antenna.
A light bulb will provide a resonant load, but is not a good antenna on receive or transmit.
I use a micro mag dual band antenna when mobile & a £10 Nagoya 771 for hand portable use on my 230.
For home base listening, I don't use the 230, but my antenna is an amateur radio VHF/UHF antenna.
It would be right to say that a properly tuned antenna is the best choice normally, however there is no evidence that antennas sold as airband scanner antennas perform any better on RX, than a amateur radio dual band antennas.
For a home base antenna, it may even pay you to make your own antenna. Make a discone with 3 or 4 (or more) elements for the civil airband. Like that this massive chunk of spectrum will be covered by resonant antenna, across it's entirety. And I am assuming with a 230 you are not interested in Mil Air.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby thelad » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Toutatis your not far from my home Town, i use the Watson W-901 Air band antenna for out and about seems to pull pretty much all air band nice and clear but i also have a Watson W-881 (41cms long) that is just as good but is a bit long for when i am out and about but as Alan says the cheap Nagoyas are just as good.
You need a BNC fitting the the USC230.
thelad

Postby alpha_india » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:51 pm

The Nagoya for mobile use would be ideal.

At home it depends how easy access is, whether an external aerial or an internal loft aerial are possibilities. For airband I can't fault my homemade bow tie antenna in the loft, as I didn't fancy anything mounted externally.
alpha_india

Postby Toutatis » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks all
Toutatis

Return to Radio & Scanner Mods, Manuals and Tips