Selling on Ebay - sales categories and descriptions

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Selling on Ebay - sales categories and descriptions

Postby G4RMT » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:47 am

just an update for anyone who buys or sells on Ebay. They have changed some of their policies, and they can catch out the unwary.

If you list a business radio in ham radio, for example - they may remove it! you get a message with a strike against you, and the listing is removed - you lose the listing fee. I just had two removals and as a long term seller, you get to talk to them. They insisted I could not post in ham radio. I explained, they considered and decided that I was right - it was fine because that's where the real home for this kind of stuff is. seems they are doing this category by category. I got the black mark removed and the post re-instated.

However - the use of any brand names in the total listing, as well as title is NOT allowed and can result in removal and black marking. With some of our products - Pofung and Baofeng identical radios for example, and also Anysecu and Sennhaix - use of BOTH will get the listing removed. the intention, they tell me, is to stop somebody advertising a Gibson guitar, and putting similar to Fender, PRS, Rickenbacker etc etc in the listing so people searching for Fender will see the Gibson ad. I actually agree with this, but they will not bend the rule to allow ANYSECU/SENNHAIX is totally banned and their automated system picks it up, and first step is instant removal on discovery. You can try to argue it, but I failed on this one.

So - be very careful about brand names - these are harvested and collated from the brand name box in the sales form. the item is not checked on publication, but reviewed after the fact, and then automatically removed.

They've accepted that radios for our type of use are not 'business' despite having been listed by others in business. They were unhappy that I did not accept they were working for me, rather than against. I did get the listing fees back for one removal, but the additional brand name removal they would not shift on. Brands are searched everywhere in your listing so a sentence like "These are exactly the same item as the Baofeng XXXXX" will get the listing zapped.

Be careful
G4RMT

Re: Selling on Ebay - sales categories and descriptions

Postby bigboyblue » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:10 pm

The whole brand name is one of the most annoying things about ebay, and I am glad they are removing them.

If I search for Motorola mototrbo, I don't want any other wanky brand to come up, I just want motorola mototrbo radios in the search results.

If I wanted to buy another brand, then I would search for that brand. If I wanted other radios, I would search for UHF radio or similar.
bigboyblue

Re: Selling on Ebay - sales categories and descriptions

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:27 pm

A couple of friends say exactly the same thing, and I guess having extra names in the title does confuse. Just a bit heavy handed in the way they do it - that's what annoyed me.
G4RMT

Return to General Discussion