Prat advertising shopwath programmed radios on facebook.

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Prat advertising shopwath programmed radios on facebook.

Postby m0lsx » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 am

In the united states several years ago a male was driving when he saw a female being sexually assaulted at the side of the road. He stopped his car & is universally accepted as having stopped this female from being raped. He thus became a local hero. Or he did until it was realised that he himself was a wanted serial rapist.

When asked about why he helped this woman from being raped when he himself was a rapist. He said he never used violence. He did not hurt woman. He was a very different person to the male trying to rape the woman at the side of the road!!! In his mind only, he was a very different person to the rapist he stopped.

I mention the above because some people here happily help others to program their own transceivers onto multiple shopwatch etc etc frequencies by providing colour codes etc etc. Yet feel they are different to someone who is offering the radio fully programmed for one system only :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

If there are any prats here, then it is the ones condemning others for doing exactly what they do themselves & it would seem they are happy to proclaim their clear superiority without knowing all the facts about what they proclaiming about too :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Doorstaff are now state controlled people with silly florescent ID badges tied to their arms. They are no longer people employed because they know how to look after themselves & prevent trouble. They have had their Criminal background checks, in the same way nursery staff have. They are also often self employed & may thus need to provide their own radios.

Our hobby is being destroyed not by someone selling preprogrammed radios to licenced doorstaff. But by pillocks here, (& other places,) constantly sharing too many details about multiple networks, that allows other bellends to program transceivers with multiple local networks & potentially cause all sorts of issues.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Metradio » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:28 am

Well said...

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby AndrewIrvine » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:34 am

We also have people on here who have got rather upset at being corrected, they have sent Ian death threats...

Well done, chaps.

Lancaster has one of the best shop / pub nets Ice ever heard. The police appreciate it too, they carry radios with it. I have never heard it abused by someone who has preprogrammed a radio themselves or stole one. Most of us, hopefully, have the intelligence to not abuse a network, or they will go somewhere they can't be heard.

I've heard door security offer radios to any shops on the network, so it's not just Ian in.tbe city selling radios to shops. They even have a facebook page where they share information and trade radios..
Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888, Uniden 3600XLT

"I'm listening"..
AndrewIrvine

Postby Scan125 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:17 pm

Well as the author of Scan125 I struggled long and hard with going public with the program. It now generates some good money for Charity which is great.

The struggle was with the concept of "aiding and abetting" people to break the law be that by making it easy for them to program the scanner or to record and use the scanner contrary to the law. Now people have always used scanners, programmed them manually or via programs and audio recorded so I've added nothing to what is already being done. The other part of the struggle is that with the exception of the HF/VHF amateur, CB bands and PMR all the other frequencies are in effect licensed by people/companies for private use and technically/legally people should not be deliberately listening to them in the UK unless they have the appropriate authority/license to do so.

Despite being asked many times I have drawn the line at NOT providing frequency information on my website, or with the Scan125 program package. How people conduct themselves and use their scanners is a matter for them and I have no intention of potentially helping people break the law.

This hobby is a funny hobby in that on the one hand listening to say the Air Band is supposed to be illegal in the UK (but not the US and other countries) yet many air shows etc. publicise the air frequencies they will be using knowing full well many of the visiting public will have receivers and their being able to listen, hear, know what is going on is all part and parcel of air shows and the overall customer enjoyment that brings the show £££ revenue in.

Now if the UK were to make owning a wide band scanner (as opposed to say a dedicated scanning CB kit) illegal then I would either withdraw Scan125 or limit it to CB.

Thankfully Short Wave Radio listening/DXing is another radio listening hobby that is challenging, perfectly legal and devoid of the types of issues and views that get raised in wide band scanning arena.
Scan125

Postby m0lsx » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Scan125 wrote: Thankfully Short Wave Radio listening/DXing is another radio listening hobby that is challenging, perfectly legal and devoid of the types of issues and views that get raised in wide band scanning arena.

The laws are the same regardless of if it's VLF, LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF or any other F. We can legally only listen to stations intended for our reception. When I got my first copy of the confidential frequency guide in the 70's. I had to order it from the USA, as it could not legally be sold here. Now lists of who is transmitting where is readily available to anyone, but it was not back in the 70's.

Sharing frequencies & what we have heard has always been illegal. But other than one understandable instance, I know of no one who has been arrested let alone charged or convicted of listening.

The one case I do know of, I wish I had kept the press cuttings from. They were two idiot CB'ers. Who not only listened to the Police on their old VHF channels, just below Marine band. This pair were total idiots. They talked to each other about what they heard over the CB & even relayed Police transmissions over the CB too :shocker: :shocker: .

In the largest part Ofcom does not care now. As it does not have the budget to be able to do anything meaningful with. I am sure it will protect those it earns from, but only if it's financially sensible, to do so.

The biggest threat our hobby faces is the easy availability of transceivers via sites like ebay together with all of the information needed to program them for multiple users in each area via people not thinking about what they are sharing on sites like this.

I know an NHS employee at a mental health hospital where they use radios on PMR light simple, so ward staff can call for help or exchange bits & pieces of information. This employee had mentioned many times that the radios were not secure & that they should not legally use patients names etc due to data protection laws. But the person over seeing the radios knew jack s--t about radio. So nothing happened. Nothing that is until a bored Nurse on night duty googled the ward name & found information online (here?) giving details of the wards radio use..Then, they changed their procedures. Then they asked for advice from people who knew what they were doing. But it took Google to make them change their radio practice.

Sharing frequencies & a few other bits is doing no more than Ofcom does. But making it possible to set up a tranciver, so it can cause problems for multiple licenced users across an city, or local area, is different. It is damaging & it is that that will kill the hobby.
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
m0lsx

Postby Scan125 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:47 pm

m0lsx wrote:
Scan125 wrote: Thankfully Short Wave Radio listening/DXing is another radio listening hobby that is challenging, perfectly legal and devoid of the types of issues and views that get raised in wide band scanning arena.

The laws are the same regardless of if it's VLF, LF, MF, HF, VHF, UHF or any other F. We can legally only listen to stations intended for our reception. When I got my first copy of the confidential frequency guide in the 70's. I had to order it from the USA, as it could not legally be sold here. Now lists of who is transmitting where is readily available to anyone, but it was not back in the 70's.

Agreed but I was careful to talk only with respect to Short Wave where with some possible exceptions there is no problem as we are talking Broadcast Stations, Navigation information, weather maps and other general broadcast signals.

Sharing frequencies & what we have heard has always been illegal. But other than one understandable instance, I know of no one who has been arrested let alone charged or convicted of listening.

Agreed. The UK radio wireless telegraphy act has been written in such broad terms that it can be used/enforced where they feel they need to do it and not be "hand cuffed" by tightly defined frequencies/bands

The one case I do know of, I wish I had kept the press cuttings from. They were two idiot CB'ers. Who not only listened to the Police on their old VHF channels, just below Marine band. This pair were total idiots. They talked to each other about what they heard over the CB & even relayed Police transmissions over the CB too :shocker: :shocker: .

And clobbered they should have been because they broke the basic concept of illegal "interception AND disclosure" which is clearly what the wireless telegraphy act was to protect (or should I say deter).

In the largest part Ofcom does not care now. As it does not have the budget to be able to do anything meaningful with. I am sure it will protect those it earns from, but only if it's financially sensible, to do so.

Indeed. I like to be knowingly legal for professional and moral reasons. However I've been tempted/thinking about using an Alinco DX-SR9 to do UK/CEPT/US CB operating and even possibly the inter/free banding within those basic frequency plans. However the DX-SR9 is not CE/CEPT approved for CB use. However it has far more frequency stability than your average CB rig. The regulations regarding approved CB rigs were devised/constructed to ensure that kit operated with defined parameters and thus not cause problems for others. Bottom line being CB/CB users were assumed to be not technical etc. (wrong in many cases but you only have to listen to many CB rig users and the language, insults, use of "burners" just proves that having defined rig and power legal regulations give those in Ofcom etc. the ability to act.

The biggest threat our hobby faces is the easy availability of transceivers via sites like ebay together with all of the information needed to program them for multiple users in each area via people not thinking about what they are sharing on sites like this.

Yes this is a real problem/concern. What possibly concerns me more is that as this stupid activity increases it will eventually force Ofcom/others to really crack down and the more respectful users will be unfortunately caught up an operation. I say this with concern as that recent knife laws have changed regarding fixed blades. My near neighbour is a police officer and I asked him about my legality. I showed him that I carry a fixed blade in a toolbox in the under section of the boot of my car. For him not an issues as I had loads of clearly mechanic trade tools. However that is his view and judgement. Had I been pulled by a police officer when I angry after say an argument with a loved one then I may have been upsetting to the officer and he/she may be on a bad day as well and then ...........

I know an NHS employee at a mental health hospital where they use radios on PMR light simple, so ward staff can call for help or exchange bits & pieces of information. This employee had mentioned many times that the radios were not secure & that they should not legally use patients names etc due to data protection laws. But the person over seeing the radios knew jack s--t about radio. So nothing happened. Nothing that is until a bored Nurse on night duty googled the ward name & found information online (here?) giving details of the wards radio use..Then, they changed their procedures. Then they asked for advice from people who knew what they were doing. But it took Google to make them change their radio practice.

Sharing frequencies & a few other bits is doing no more than Ofcom does. But making it possible to set up a tranciver, so it can cause problems for multiple licenced users across an city, or local area, is different. It is damaging & it is that that will kill the hobby.

Yes Ofcom publishes all the basic frequencies and associated usage, licenses and licensees. They have a public and legal requirement to do so. Sadly those who want to make a real hobby where research, exploring etc. is the challenge are being compromised by those who can't be arsed and just want the "quick local link to something juicy" that they can then brag about to their mates. This includes the likes sharing information where pub A is know to have wild punch-ups and is a good place hang around. These sad people destroy the hobby IMHO
Scan125

Postby AndrewIrvine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:33 pm

When I did security years ago I had a scanner tuned into the frequencies I was using so my partner could listen in.

That was up to 25 years ago. The same frequencies are still in use now. The only one that has changed is using unencrypted DMR, so I can still hear it.

I was using Lancaster's network in 1994 / 1995. It's still on the same. I'm still hearing some of the same names from back in the day. We never divulged phome numbers or addresses, all shops had call signs, now they just use the shop or pub names.

If they were that bothered or felt insecure they would have done something well before now.

If anything, this thread should be removed, a defamatory or slanderous accusation was made against one of the most knowledgeable people this site has.
Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888, Uniden 3600XLT

"I'm listening"..
AndrewIrvine

Postby thelad » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 am

Hes so innocent and well known that hes cleared all his photos form his Facebook public viewing and even changed the profile photo from his face :)
thelad

Postby m0lsx » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:15 am

thelad wrote:Hes so innocent and well known that hes cleared all his photos form his Facebook public viewing and even changed the profile photo from his face :)

But if he is getting abuse & threats from the intellectually challenged, is that really a surprise?
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
m0lsx

Postby thelad » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:06 am

The only way to stop that would be to deactivate the profile so not really.
thelad

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion