Facebook groups

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Facebook groups

Postby Minus1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:34 pm

I see Facebook groups seem to be slowly but surely wrecking use of this forum by sucking all the activity out of it.

I used to think this forum had some lazy gits who couldn't be bothered to even begin reading a manual, until Facebook groups came along showed that actually users of this forum are relatively intelligent. :rolleyes:
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Re: Facebook groups

Postby thelad » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:49 pm

Agree :thumbup:
thelad

Postby Neil57uk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Some FB groups are full of folks who buy cheap Chinees radios then demand codeplugs as they not only cant be bothered to search for frequencies but they dont even have a search button. Those who can provide them frequencies are reluctant to do so as the consequence may be that they transmit and that another freq lost to encryption.
I used to share lots of freqs but hardly do now.
The answer going forward may be to close groups such as this one to the public and only allow members who can demonstrate that they are genuine hobbyists with a real scanner. That may encourage freq sharing again and make it difficult for the idiots spoiling the hobby with Chinees transeavers.
Neil57uk

Postby Nighthawk999 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:20 pm

I fully agree :thumbup:
Nighthawk999

Postby AndrewIrvine » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:26 pm

I don't mind sharing, I'm a bit restricted just now, nut when I do share I get accused of killing the hobby, so which is it we are to do? There are other non facebook pages, one in particular, that as good as dead compared to this one. You don't have to register to read what people are posting. There are facebook pages that allow sharing, others it's almost a hanging offence, if it still existed.

People quoting rules that don't exist kind of puts people off groups like this as well. I've had plenty of private messages backing me up on that one.
I got asked to stop sharing certain stuff, yet a list I compiled from another group I was in got here before I did. No wonder people get frustrated and go elsewhere. I provide at times more information from areas I don't live in than from people who do live in certain areas.
Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888, Uniden 3600XLT

"I'm listening"..
AndrewIrvine

Postby thelad » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:05 am

I don't even use TM1 anymore as the mods compalined I was too sarcastic and threated to ban me so I just stopped using it. :walkietalkie:
thelad

Postby rozbiff » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Neil57uk wrote:Some FB groups are full of folks who buy cheap Chinees radios then demand codeplugs as they not only cant be bothered to search for frequencies but they dont even have a search button. Those who can provide them frequencies are reluctant to do so as the consequence may be that they transmit and that another freq lost to encryption.
I used to share lots of freqs but hardly do now.
The answer going forward may be to close groups such as this one to the public and only allow members who can demonstrate that they are genuine hobbyists with a real scanner. That may encourage freq sharing again and make it difficult for the idiots spoiling the hobby with Chinees transeavers.

perhaps 'thelad' and 'minus1' already share freqs in the SS section of this bulletin board? We can only assume that it exists so they can talk about all the subjects that are taboo in the wider part of the bulletin board such as frequencies/radio users/radio equipment.

This particular bulletin board is possibly amongst the worst as it has no moderators and no direction.
I'm fairly sure the only person who has posted anything close to being interesting on here in the past year has been 'minus1'. Andrew attempts to post but gets jumped on by the forum police because he dares to mention a talkgroup or colour code (though why anyone would want to do anything other than get away from Runcorn I don't knopw).
A couple of others in the NW only post to say that that posting a frequency will mean that everyone will go encrypted....not exactly welcoming or encouraging to newcomers

I suspect the problem is far wider than here. One of the caving clubs I'm in used to have a very active bulletin board...now it's all but dead and the farceblog group gets the traffic (though the posts on that are tedious and repetitive). Same is true for most hobbies.
Everything is free, nothing takes any effort.....or so people now seem to beleive.
rozbiff

Return to General Discussion