Do you have any questions, comments, ideas or requests?

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Re: Do you have any questions, comments, ideas or requests?

Postby thelad » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm

paulie b wrote:Not sure how you've come to that conclusion? I have NO data. When searching the site the few results I get were posted years ago. Years ago means they are out of date, right?

Not really, many Ofcom licence holders have the same frequency they were issued with years ago!
thelad

Postby G4RMT » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 pm

Frankly - NO! If you want updated information, then you can use that link in Alan's signature and buy a CD with a database that is updated. However, loads of frequencies issued years ago are perfectly current. Airband has had a few changes recently when frequency spacings changed, but Google is your friend on those, and to be honest, forums rarely have complete lists, you need to put some effort in and do your research, collate lists, remove duplicates, investigate changes, and sometimes weed out totally wrong info. Big hobby, takes lots of time, and you need to realise that people rarely give away information they've worked hard at.

So this forum does have plenty of links, but you need to search them out. The software this board uses is well known for having tricky search facilities - hence Alan's external search facility. Most business radio links tend to last a very long time, although the content sometimes changes when they go digital.

It's up to you to sift the data for obsolescence. If this is too much work, buy the CD. The internet is great, but teasing out reliable data is not. Even the CD will have a few errors, and the Governments own database is sadly iff. If you do some research you'll find links to people who have taken the latest OFCOM list, and added their own search processes to make it better.

I suspect that when joining a forum, it's usually best to contribute a bit before jumping in and criticising the content. You get out what you put in I suppose.
G4RMT

Postby radiostationx » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Recent posts widget or link please.

http://lkozma.net/blog/phpbb-recent-posts-widget/

More time before the "edit" post button is removed. Why is it removed anyway ? Strange.
radiostationx

Postby radiostationx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 am

Found recent posts on the index page now thanks to a pm by bassist, Thanks..still confused by edit post button going missing after a few hrs though. :dizzy:
radiostationx

Postby m0lsx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 am

radiostationx wrote: More time before the "edit" post button is removed. Why is it removed anyway ? Strange.

I am not sure how long the edit button stays, but I would imagine it is timed to stop people from editing posts, so that they make no sense or totally disappear after others have posted replies.
I know on one forum, someone fell out with someone & then removed every post they had ever made. This stopped a lot of threads from making any sense.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby radiostationx » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:18 am

Okay I realised why the recent posts/active topics links were not appearing for me.
A use must sign in first to see these links.
This may be confusing for visitors/guests to the forum as they have to navigate the forum without these shortcuts.

I made a post where the photos are not auto resized because I used a different bbcode string than normal, I want to put this right but the edit post button is missing so I cannot apply corrections.
Could a forum moderator or admin with access to the phpBB admin console please contact me via PM so I can tell them which post I need editing and how to correct the photo error please, Thanks
radiostationx

Postby G4RMT » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:21 am

Most forums work like this now - this Ione seems pretty balanced to me. The edit button lockout time seems ok to me - surely if you mess up the image sizes, you see this straight away when you post - so the option to sort it is available at that time?
G4RMT

Postby Metradio » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:47 am

I think post editing is also prevented if someone replies to the post.

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby SilverShadow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:24 am

G4RMT wrote:Most forums work like this now - this Ione seems pretty balanced to me. The edit button lockout time seems ok to me - surely if you mess up the image sizes, you see this straight away when you post - so the option to sort it is available at that time?

Yep, there are a few reasons for this. One is that it prevents disputes as people have been known to make statements that end up in debates and long threads and then they go back and edit their original comment/argument which can cause confusion.

Another is that often members of forums decide to leave forums and with it delete their past posts, when there are busy threads they have been involved in this can really mess them up and leave unintelligible threads. If members ever regret a post or need anything fixing in their posts like images etc. they can always PM me or M3TSY and we will do it for you.

radiostationx wrote:Okay I realised why the recent posts/active topics links were not appearing for me.
A use must sign in first to see these links.
This may be confusing for visitors/guests to the forum as they have to navigate the forum without these shortcuts.

The problem here is this is only available to registered members, the history can't be applied to every visitor due to dynamic IP's and visitors using other devices.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion