Please help me with Channel 38.....

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Please help me with Channel 38.....

Postby Woody123 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:51 am

Hello all.

Background:
I am a keen watcher of rugby union and a former referee. Most games these days (above a certain level), involve the referee (and sometimes the touch judges and 4th officials) being 'miked-up'. The referee is on an open mike and is constantly broadcasting whilst the other officials need to use a microphone (ptt) to speak to each other or the referee. The feed is often fed into video cameras too, so that game analysis is more detailed. The RFU have purchased blanket licences so that all that remains is for the officials or clubs to buy the kit. The official 'kit' is made by Sennheiser and is set to channel 38 which, according to RFU guidance is 606.50 Mhz to 613.50 Mhz. I have read that this frequency is the one typically used for radio mics generally. For the RFU, this is a new frequency - the old frequency (which was a standard walkie-talkie frequency, has been allocated elsewhere.

Question:
I want to be able to listen to the referee on match-days, so what can I buy that will allow me to listen-in? I am a complete newbie! I have looked around but haven't come across anything that covers this frequency - but maybe I'm not looking properly....... I am thinking 'scanner', but there may be something else(?).

Any advice or pointers will be gratefully received.

thanks
Woody123

Re: Please help me with Channel 38.....

Postby AndrewIrvine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:24 am

There doesn't seem to be a fixed frequency across the UK. I read years ago you could listen in with an ordinary FM radio around 87mHz at some games.
200 miles in 2 days for my 3 children.
https://www.justgiving.com/Andrew-Gordon-50

Pro 2042, Pro 26, 3500XLT, BCT15X
Yaesu FT60-R, Yeasu 1900, Retevis RT3, Tytera MD380, Retevis H777, FDC160A, 278B, Puxing 888

"I'm listening.."
AndrewIrvine

Postby Woody123 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:03 pm

No - this is the frequency now. Instructions have been issued for equipment NOT on Ch38 to be de-commissioned/remain unused.
Woody123

Postby m0lsx » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:16 pm

If it's analogue, then any scanner that covers that spectrum will pick it up just enter the maximum & the minimum frequency & scan between until you find it.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:59 am

Any wide band receiver works fine. Ch38 is really busy with professional users. TV, events, theatres this is where the channel 69 users moved to when the band was removed from use by the government. They actually bought back our equipment and paid sensible money too. I got a few thousand pounds for what I surrendered and bough Sennheiser because that's what I had in ch 69. You can pick a receiver up on eBay for around a couple of hundred quid for a battery one, or maybe a bit cheaper for a mains one. The ones being used by sports officials are the bog standard ones with the microphone choice made by the sound team. The only snag you will have is that you might also find the band busy. Presenters, line side mic positions where cables can't get to also will use the band and there may also be reverse links going back to key people. There are not that many channels available, so in a busy location, the tv crews might provide the official with an alternative band transmitter on one of their less busy frequencies if the officials one is a problem, which it can be. Power is very low however, less than 50mW, so they use two receivers and two antennas, usually with a bit of gain,mans the receivers switch their output to the antenna with the best signal, which avoids too many dead spots. With a scanner, poor antenna and position not being ideal, expect a noisy signal. This is normal. Reliable distances can often be 25m or even less, when the ref gets sweaty and the antenna gets stuck to his body. If you listen on this band while walking around the west end in the afternoon or evening you can hear Les mis, or any of the other shows as you wander past, including things not meant to be heard in dressing rooms and backstage. This aspect of the hobby rarely gets talked about. Same thing at rock concerts where the stars use in ear monitors. You can hear what they hear quite simply.
G4RMT

Postby Minus1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:16 pm

Try these PMSE "Audio Distribution System" frequencies too:

61.2 WFM
61.7 WFM
62.3 WFM
62.7 WFM
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby G4RMT » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:11 pm

If it help, I use an Icom R2 for check purposes - works pretty well.
G4RMT

Return to General Discussion