newbie uniden ubc125xlt help pls

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

newbie uniden ubc125xlt help pls

Postby garny68 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:39 pm

hi new to the forum and you could say new to scanning it's been that long but I need help with new scanner, ive bought the UK scanning directory of here tried the shop watch frequencies and picking nothing up, ive been searching the banks through all 10 of them and picking nothing up, all I seem to get in fact all I've managed to pick up in the last 3 days is the odd aircraft now and again, I have squelch set at halfway and am closer to preston town centre than I was a couple of years ago when I was picking up all sorts, ive heard just one pmr call asking for a radio check but that's it.
so basically im switching on the scanner im searching the banks on both band 1 and then on band two but only picking up the odd aircraft and squelch at half even though I've had it right down, seem to spend more time temporary locking out frequencies,

is there some setting I could have switched on or of that could be hindering me picking up much?
ps in preston
garny68

Re: newbie uniden ubc125xlt help pls

Postby Chris P » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:57 pm

searching the bands will often not produce many hits as the transmissions on PMR etc are of short duration and if you are searching too wide a frequency range you are most likely missing the active frequencies . I would suggest you program a few memory banks with frequencies listed on the scanning guide as local to you and scan these .

The ubc125 should be set up to operate on Band plan 2 as this matches the UK channel spacing the best . See also the Ofcom WTR website for finding local frequencies .

The squelch should be turned up so that the white noise from the radio stops when you are not tuned to an active channel and then up a fraction more so that a noisy signal is ignored

Most shopwatch transmissions are Digital rather than analogue these days so you will be unable to decode them on the UBC125 . The only bands that are almost fully analogue are the Airbands ( both VHF and UHF ) which use AM as the modulation mode and the marine band which uses FM
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby Minus1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:56 pm

The NATS ATC transmitter near Preston uses these freqs:

And may use these (I'm not sure, I haven't checked)

If you don't get anything on any of those, you are doing something wrong.

Search for business freqs here:
http://spectruminfo.ofcom.org.uk/spectrumInfo/licences
You'll have to figure it out for yourself, there are no simple instructions, and this forum is lacking a FAQ.

And remember that patience is a virtue, people are not transmitting for your benefit.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby garny68 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:56 pm

thanks for your help and with them frequencies i guess my next task is finding a good antenna for aircraft
garny68

Postby RogerThat » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Chris P wrote:searching the bands will often not produce many hits as the transmissions on PMR etc are of short duration and if you are searching too wide a frequency range you are most likely missing the active frequencies . I would suggest you program a few memory banks with frequencies listed on the scanning guide as local to you and scan these .

The squelch should be turned up so that the white noise from the radio stops when you are not tuned to an active channel and then up a fraction more so that a noisy signal is ignored

From a fellow 125 owner, this is very sound advice :thumbup:

I only ever 'scan' when I'm at home, whenever I'm away I'm on 'search' mode :smiles:
RogerThat

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:33 am

garny68 wrote:thanks for your help and with them frequencies i guess my next task is finding a good antenna for aircraft

Hi,I have a 125 and use a Watson 801 antenna for general airband at home and its good.If I want to pull in more distant signals on military then its the Radioworld version of the 881.
But at 17inches long its only suitable for home use!The 801 is great for home and outside.
One tip,if you're scanning a lot at home,plug the supplied USB cable into the scanner and run it on mains power to save your batteries.But,dont use it to charge them because its rubbish!Get a wall mounted charger for that,and a spare set of 2300 mAh batteries will be handy too.(one set in use and the other on charge).
Nighthawk999

Postby garny68 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Nighthawk999 wrote:
garny68 wrote:thanks for your help and with them frequencies i guess my next task is finding a good antenna for aircraft

Hi,I have a 125 and use a Watson 801 antenna for general airband at home and its good.If I want to pull in more distant signals on military then its the Radioworld version of the 881.
But at 17inches long its only suitable for home use!The 801 is great for home and outside.
One tip,if you're scanning a lot at home,plug the supplied USB cable into the scanner and run it on mains power to save your batteries.But,dont use it to charge them because its rubbish!Get a wall mounted charger for that,and a spare set of 2300 mAh batteries will be handy too.(one set in use and the other on charge).

blimey thanks for that but it's like you read my mind just last night i ordered the radio world version of the 881 and i ordered a pack of 4 2500 mAh eneloop batteries and I've just got back from cpc after buying the Watson 801 lol

a quick question looking at this AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to Mini-B Cable 1.8 m / 6 Feet https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NH11N5A/ ... 0xbC48ZBKN
it looks like it will fit the scanner. I'm thinking as a spare for usb power in the car. now it may look the same but does anyone know if it's a generic usb a to mini b or would it be wired different for scanner?
thanks again for advice everyone
garny68

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Wow lol.You'll get on just fine with both of those.
I have no idea about the USB cable,but someone on here will advise you.Another handy tip is;When running on mains power,I have the backlight set to"On with Squelch".So it lights up with each transmission.
Press the orange Func key,then backlight,then scroll to that setting.On batteries I use on with keypress.On with squelch will zap your batteries.
Nighthawk999

Postby garny68 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:11 pm

cheers for that fella, anyone able to advise on the usb cable?
garny68

Postby Nighthawk999 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:51 pm

garny68 wrote:cheers for that fella, anyone able to advise on the usb cable?

No worries,if you search on here there a few of my posts asking for advice on the 125 and also mil airband freqs etc.
Be patient re the usb question,there are quite a few members who are tech-savvy.
Nighthawk999

Next

Return to General Discussion