Network Radios with PTT

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Network Radios with PTT

Postby Sid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Anyone looked into this?
Been looking at the radio tone RT4.

Seems interesting and you can still use it on uhf for repeaters & simplex etc.
I know it's not a true ham radio and a bit of a hybrid, but what do you guys think of all this?
Sid

Re: Network Radios with PTT

Postby G4RMT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm

The blurb doesn't mention any conventional RF capability? It's a cellular device not a walkie talkie? Or have I missed something. It uses cellular to establish an IP connection between radios.
G4RMT

Postby Sid » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi G4,

The blurb can be vague. Yes it uses cellular network (internet or 4g), but you can communicate direct with one person or groups. It acts instantly like a walkie talkie by using the ptt. You can also use it as a conventional walkie talkie (uhf) in either simplex or programming in a repeater. It goes through an app called Zello which is pre-installed.
Apparently is super cheap to use, as the data use when going through Zello and using it like a ham radio is very small.
I think you can also programme in the pmr446 frequencies, and of course it can make "normal" calls to a mobile phone. I think it's quite interesting and they are catching on apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k-VOg0LI44

EDIT:

Actually G4, I think you're correct.
The uhf part, I was thinking about another one I read about earlier which does have that function - this one doesn't
I'll try to find the other one.........

Here you go....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt5WRNXbdDI
Sid

Postby G4RMT » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:00 pm

That looks more like it doesn't to!
G4RMT

Postby Metradio » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Who are all these lots of people that are using them ?

Mike
Connect Systems CS750 and CS800, Hytera PD-365, Motorola DP4600.
Raspberry Pi 2 and DV4Mini HotSpot.
AOR AR-DV1 Digital Voice Receiver / eSPY on ARD.
WS1088 / TRX-1 / Whistler Q /UBCD3600XLT / WTR Browser.
Metradio

Postby Sid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:30 am

No idea,

But "apparently" it's becoming popular.
I think some works sites have gone over to them rather than hand helds on a business licence for example.
Sid

Postby Sid » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:33 am

G4RMT wrote:That looks more like it doesn't to!

The second one?
I think you can order it in either uhf or vhf, but not in dual band.
Sid

Postby Sid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:54 pm

Well,

I installed the Zello app on my mobile to give this a try, as most users of these ptt phones use Zello.
Easy to set up and not long having a fiddle to work it all out.

You can join "channels" which is kinda like using a repeater. Anyone on that channel can hear you, and you them.
I joined a channel called "Sussex Downs Radio Link"
It's been fairly active during the day and evening. What I liked was that most members almost seemed to follow ham etiquette. For example, keeping qso's to under 2 mins, 4 secs between answering a qso, so others have a chance to jump in if required.
There were people chatting from America, S.America, India, Ireland & Sweden etc. Most were very polite, interesting and well behaved. The channels are kind of like dmr talk groups, except the channel owner / starter can block trolls, idiots and also make the channel over 18's.

You don't "Need" a ptt smartphone to use this, as it works on any phone. However, the ptt phones just give that sense of using a walkie talkie / ham radio.
Interesting to note though, that many of the ptt phones are built for the outdoors, so are waterproof and very tough.

I'm finding this quite interesting.
I'd suggest giving it a try before dissing it guys..you may like it.

It will not take me away from traditional ham radio though. One thing I've always liked about ham, is it's the one form of comms that will still work if the grid goes down. Like a last line of defense so to speak - and it's more interesting.
Sid

Postby Sid » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:27 pm

Well,

If it's of any interest.... :laughs:

I've created my own channel on Zello.
It's called "Ham Radio South East".

I've created it for the use of ham radio users / enthusiasts, and people who may want to learn about the hobby and become a licensed ham user. A place for general chat on the hobby and to ask questions etc.
I've asked that people try to apply recognised ham etiquette as you would on any other qso..... :wink:
Sid

Return to General Discussion