Why is it so hard to get hold of ARC 125

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

Why is it so hard to get hold of ARC 125

Postby i like old stuff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:28 pm

What a caper trying to program the Uniden UBC 125 XLT is proving to be. :dizzy:

I've spent days compiling my excel scanning directory with the stuff I want on my other new scanner, the BCT15X. Freescan then grabs this info as expected and imports seamlessly so I've got a fully functioning scanner just as expected.

Now the awkward bit, trying to get that same excel stuff into the UBC125XLT is like swimming in treacle, I know that I cant use freescan of course so I need ARC 125. BUT I cannot find anywhere to download ARC125. Butels own website doesn't work and no third party appears to be able to supply either. This is apparently the only software that will do what I want which is copy and paste into the program from my master excel directory. Is the only option really ordering on ebay and waiting 3 days for the postman?

Absolutely bonkers or am I missing something....................

Thanks
ILOS
i like old stuff

Re: Why is it so hard to get hold of ARC 125

Postby m0lsx » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:18 pm

i like old stuff wrote: I know that I cant use freescan of course so I need ARC 125. BUT I cannot find anywhere to download ARC125.

Why can't you use the Scan 125 Suit by this forums Scan125? It's what a lot of other people are using & unlike Uniden software it's not only good, but free.

https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby i like old stuff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi
Because it doesn't support pasting of data from excel other than one cell at a time which isn't suited to my intended use.

If the little hand held was my only scanner I would have used scan 125 but it isn't, I've invested my time in creating a master file in excel and I cannot import that, or parts of that into Scan 125 unless as I say, I'm missing something, which I'll be delighted to be enlightened about.

Cheers
ILOS
i like old stuff

Postby m0lsx » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 pm

i like old stuff wrote:Hi
Because it doesn't support pasting of data from excel other than one cell at a time which isn't suited to my intended use.

I seem to remember this is a common issue that pops up here in relation to radios & databases.
And I seem to remember, it's a no programming system does it, answer.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=017721449704518888595:wswa65nq4ww
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby thelad » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 pm

m0lsx wrote:

I seem to remember this is a common issue that pops up here in relation to radios & databases.
And I seem to remember, it's a no programming system does it, answer.

Freescan does. No good for the 125 though
thelad

Postby Scan125 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:46 pm

If the little hand held was my only scanner I would have used scan 125 but it isn't, I've invested my time in creating a master file in excel and I cannot import that, or parts of that into Scan 125 unless as I say, I'm missing something, which I'll be delighted to be enlightened about.

Cheers
ILOS

Scan125 programs are in fact a suite of TWO programs. Scan125 Control Program and Scan125 Convert Program. https://nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125convert/index.html

Scan125 Convert will process ANY CSV file take the data and convert it to a Scan125 formatted data file which the Scan125 Control Program can then read and load/program the scanner.

I chose to have CSV/excel support outside of the Scan125 Control Program and have a supporting Scan125 Convert Program for a number of reasons:

1) When users asked for Excel and/or CSV support directly reading Excel format files was not going to be that straight forward. However handling CSV files was not going to be as complicated.
2) Spread sheet programs Excel, Open Office, and others all have different internal formats but the can all create CSV files.
3) Implementing CSV file support on a stable Scan125 Control Program release was almost certainly going to cause Scan125 Control Program to go through unnecessary releases and as I'm not a perfect coder then risk of destabilising Scan125 itself would only upset my customers.
4) If other formats/collections of data sources were required then 3) above would still be very relevant.

I suggest you at least give Scan125 Convert a try. It is a far from ideal two step process (Excel -> CSV -> Scan125) but it works and is reliable and can cater for different peoples own spread sheet layouts.

Alternatively you can to what one customer of mine has done. He wrote excel macros to take his excel data and directly create a Scan125 data form file. His excel program used tabs for categories of data and could select a category and target scanner bank etc. He was thinking of releasing/publishing this as a utility for others to use but at the time we last spoke he was very busy on other matters and did not want to publish something that still required extra work to be up to a decent level of quality and robustness he and customers would be proud of.
Scan125

Postby maylandmanta » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Think this is what you want - http://www.butel.nl/products/arc125/arc125.html
Just tried download ( go to download screen and click on the scanner icon or the scanner model text ) and worked ok but have not unzipped as don't have the 125
Steve
maylandmanta

Postby i like old stuff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:52 pm

maylandmanta wrote:Think this is what you want - http://www.butel.nl/products/arc125/arc125.html
Just tried download ( go to download screen and click on the scanner icon or the scanner model text ) and worked ok but have not unzipped as don't have the 125
Steve

Hello, Thanks for the link. When I click on it I get a forbidden message and a dead link. This is the case if I use Laptop, Ipad or Mac! Its the same issue I was having which prompted me to say their website doesn't work. How strange that it works for you.....

ILOS
i like old stuff

Postby i like old stuff » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Scan125 wrote:

Cheers
ILOS

Scan125 programs are in fact a suite of TWO programs. Scan125 Control Program and Scan125 Convert Program. https://nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125convert/index.html

Scan125 Convert will process ANY CSV file take the data and convert it to a Scan125 formatted data file which the Scan125 Control Program can then read and load/program the scanner.

I chose to have CSV/excel support outside of the Scan125 Control Program and have a supporting Scan125 Convert Program for a number of reasons:

1) When users asked for Excel and/or CSV support directly reading Excel format files was not going to be that straight forward. However handling CSV files was not going to be as complicated.
2) Spread sheet programs Excel, Open Office, and others all have different internal formats but the can all create CSV files.
3) Implementing CSV file support on a stable Scan125 Control Program release was almost certainly going to cause Scan125 Control Program to go through unnecessary releases and as I'm not a perfect coder then risk of destabilising Scan125 itself would only upset my customers.
4) If other formats/collections of data sources were required then 3) above would still be very relevant.

I suggest you at least give Scan125 Convert a try. It is a far from ideal two step process (Excel -> CSV -> Scan125) but it works and is reliable and can cater for different peoples own spread sheet layouts.

Alternatively you can to what one customer of mine has done. He wrote excel macros to take his excel data and directly create a Scan125 data form file. His excel program used tabs for categories of data and could select a category and target scanner bank etc. He was thinking of releasing/publishing this as a utility for others to use but at the time we last spoke he was very busy on other matters and did not want to publish something that still required extra work to be up to a decent level of quality and robustness he and customers would be proud of.

Hello Nick, Firstly, may I say how much I appreciate your investment in time to create these progs and to take the time to explain them. I have been on a very steep learning curve. A week ago I had never had a scanner, now I have 2.
I have managed to get all of the frequencies with the tag for each in one big long list in the scanner now using your Scan 125 convert and programing creations which is massively better than I was doing before. I think I know why they are all in one big long list, I edited the CSV that Freescan put out because it seemed to contain a whole bunch of stuff didn't look relevant. I expect I can shift things around now into different "banks" using your copy and move or paste functions.

Thanks again, Ill keep at it and become a power user, as I have already with the other prog for the BCt15x

Cheers
ILOS
i like old stuff

Return to General Discussion