is my Diamond Super voice D 505 scrap

Talk about radio and non radio stuff in here, a place for Genral Chit Chat

is my Diamond Super voice D 505 scrap

Postby i like old stuff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Ive searched high and low but cant find an answer

I bought a diamond Super Voice d505 which is used but looked like new.

However, it performs worse than a rubber duck which of course it should not so I got the multimeter out for a continuity test.

Now then, The male centre pin that locates in the mag mount doesn't have continuity with the stainless whip which is unlike any antenna I've tested

Im guessing some muppet has tried to transmit on it and blown it up. Its deffo the base coil thats the problem as ive unscrewed it and tried that part alone, it has nothing, no resistance or continuity whatsoever.

Scrap or can it be fixed?

cheers
ILOS
i like old stuff

Re: is my Diamond Super voice D 505 scrap

Postby m0lsx » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:01 pm

What is a Diamond Super Voice D-505? Google shows nothing, other than a ebay advert. If it's just another variation of a rubber duck, then what frequency are you using it on & what other antenna are you comparing it too? As so called Rubber Ducks come in many many flavours & thus you could be comparing a so called wide band antenna with a band specific antenna for all we know.
How are you testing this antenna? With a multi meter, if so how? as it can, on some designs, be perfectly normal to see strange results with a multi meter.
Last edited by m0lsx on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby Chris P » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 pm

several types of antennae are transformer fed at the base so there is no dc path to either the top sections of what appears to be a collinear or even the lower section so that would explain the lack of continuity on a multimeter and the outer of the coax can appear as a dead short to the whip in some cases

The D505 has a built in hybrid amplifier according to one web page and also needs a controller so may need some dc power feed as well

try this link as it may help
http://www.diamond-ant.co.jp/pdf/d/d505.pdf
Regards Chris aka G8FFF nipper or tazmin88
Chris P

Postby i like old stuff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:52 pm

m0lsx wrote:What is a Diamond Super Voice D-505? Google shows nothing, other than a ebay advert. If it's just another variation of a rubber duck, then what frequency are you using it on & what other antenna are you comparing it too? As so called Rubber Ducks come in many many flavours & thus you could be comparing a so called wide band antenna with a band specific antenna for all we know.
How are you testing this antenna? With a multi meter, if so how? as it can, on some designs, be perfectly normal to see strange results with a multi meter.

Hello there, I too noticed that it was particularly difficult to find ANYTHING on this antenna on google other than a defunct ebay ad with no pics. I was comparing to a standard rubber duckie supplied with a uniden UBC125XLT but its also worse than a telescopic supplied with the BCT15X

Its a high quality old Japanese antenna and as we have learned, its very rare. It also appears to feature a built in "hybrid amplifier" and claims 500 KHZ to 1500 MHZ I was simply testing continuity from whip to centre pin and found there was none, unlike any antenna I have ever owned in the past. My listening thus far has been between airband and PMR 466 and Im comparing the antenna to the above mentioned standards across this range.

HOWEVER, I believe we have a very interesting reply to the question below so Im going to read and respond to that next.
Cheers

ILOS
Last edited by i like old stuff on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i like old stuff

Postby i like old stuff » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:57 pm

Chris P wrote:several types of antennae are transformer fed at the base so there is no dc path to either the top sections of what appears to be a collinear or even the lower section so that would explain the lack of continuity on a multimeter and the outer of the coax can appear as a dead short to the whip in some cases

The D505 has a built in hybrid amplifier according to one web page and also needs a controller so may need some dc power feed as well

try this link as it may help
http://www.diamond-ant.co.jp/pdf/d/d505.pdf

Blimey! Where did you dig that out? I looked all over for anything on this antenna. :biggrin: Top marks there sir

So...It might not be dead after all but clearly its not supposed to just screw on a mag mount as the shop that supplied it told me it was.........

I wonder where I go from here. as my name suggests I LIKE OLD STUFF because it is generally better quality. This antenna is clearly of high quality but without the understanding or the "gubbibns" it is currently just a nice looking but rather deaf antenna.

Thanks for that link, :smiles: I just need to work out how to get it working now.

ILOS
i like old stuff

Return to General Discussion