DMR Vs Zello?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: DMR Vs Zello?

Postby m0lsx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am

bigboyblue wrote: I met over the weekend some 4x4 groups that are deploying network radio down south to their members, after using ham radio before. Its meant they can deploy a radio 'system' for not much money - yes theres about a tenner a month In sim card / data charges, but it means the entire of their area can be covered by comms. They are aware of the limitations, know the pitfalls and advantages, and even means they can have someone anywhere in the world as their controller.

There is another advantage with Network Radio over amateur radio from the 4X4 & Raynet point of view. It is not limited to the amateur radio regulations of who they can help & what they can pass.
Amateur radio licence conditions sets out who the user services are & what we can & cannot do to help.
So for example with a network radio, Raynet could legitimately pass messages for people such as Social Workers during a flood evacuation.
During a flood evacuation at Great Yarmouth a few years ago Raynet could not legitimately pass messages for all service providers within flood evacuation centrers as they were not all "User Services."
On amateur radio, Raynet needs to operate some events as training exercises to get around the licence conditions. But with Network Radio, they could help at all sorts of events. Gain training experience & not have to worry about transmissions being in the open & they could also place everyone on a map in real time, as with Network radio APRS is a free app.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby bigboyblue » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:01 pm

m0lsx wrote:
bigboyblue wrote: I met over the weekend some 4x4 groups that are deploying network radio down south to their members, after using ham radio before. Its meant they can deploy a radio 'system' for not much money - yes theres about a tenner a month In sim card / data charges, but it means the entire of their area can be covered by comms. They are aware of the limitations, know the pitfalls and advantages, and even means they can have someone anywhere in the world as their controller.

There is another advantage with Network Radio over amateur radio from the 4X4 & Raynet point of view. It is not limited to the amateur radio regulations of who they can help & what they can pass.
Amateur radio licence conditions sets out who the user services are & what we can & cannot do to help.
So for example with a network radio, Raynet could legitimately pass messages for people such as Social Workers during a flood evacuation.
During a flood evacuation at Great Yarmouth a few years ago Raynet could not legitimately pass messages for all service providers within flood evacuation centrers as they were not all "User Services."
On amateur radio, Raynet needs to operate some events as training exercises to get around the licence conditions. But with Network Radio, they could help at all sorts of events. Gain training experience & not have to worry about transmissions being in the open & they could also place everyone on a map in real time, as with Network radio APRS is a free app.

Ah good point. A lot of people wont touch Raynet for events, as this is the exact issue - they cant dish out radios so the organisers can use them themselves.
bigboyblue

Postby Sid » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:34 pm

Many thanks for the replies chaps. I'm "slowly" grasping this now (to a point..... :dizzy: )

A simple one (hopefully)

I have several digital / analogue radios.
Lets say in two of them I programmed tier 1 DMR 446.
Would it be the case that I would still not be able to use the radios to communicate, as you have to enter a code (for which you need at least a foundation licence)?
I'm assuming the radios will not TX without said code in digital (but will in analogue)?
I have no intention of tx'ing illegally, I'm just still trying to get my head around certain aspects.
Sid

Postby CW-2E0UCW » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 pm

PMR446 / DMR446 can be used without a licence however there are restrictions in regards to equipment and power.

Many handhelds on eBay are advertised as PMR446 but they are not and are usually pre-programmed on business frequencies.

Refer to https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/radio ... pt-devices

As for comments on Raynet - they do have their own list of frequencies not used by amateurs so would not be restricted to the terms and conditions.

Also, DMR repeaters are a lot cheaper now - no more requirement for expensive commercial gear - 2 old taxi radios, a raspberry pi and a few other bits will now do the job.
CW-2E0UCW

Previous

Return to DMR & Digital Modes