Which digital receiver?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Which digital receiver?

Postby G4RMT » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:27 pm

I had a Whistler TRX-2. I hated it. The first radio in 40 years that I just found difficult and awkward.

I'm trying to find something to replace it. All I need is a radio that can store analogue or digital channels and scan them, and a search function that will stop on analogue and digital channels and let me save them. It also needs to be able to have a frequency tapped in and decoded audio appear from the speaker. DMR and NXDN would be nice as I have both of these in my hire radio stock, but pDMR could be useful too. I've no need for any of the other systems. Is there anything that does not have mega bells and whistles, which of course makes the operation more complex. doesn't actually matter if it's a real scanner, a dual band handheld would do fine, IF it can be programmed from the keyboard and have a promiscuous mode so it will stop on any slot or CC.
G4RMT

Re: Which digital receiver?

Postby i like old stuff » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:53 pm

I just bought an AOR AR-DV1
I saw this as the ultimate, given that it is a general range all mode from 100 KHz to 1.3 GHz

ILOS
i like old stuff

Postby M3ZYH » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I have an AOR-DV1, and it's a great radio. My only gripe is the tinny audio. Other than that, it's capabilities are brilliant.
M3ZYH

Postby G4RMT » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:15 pm

Is it OK to use mobile? The biggest gripe with the Whistler was that when it finds something on a search, it was nigh on impossible to save it to a preset or a memory, with out having to try to read tiny things on a display that when driving, worried me. No other radio I've ever had made storing search results so difficult.
G4RMT

Postby M3ZYH » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:38 pm

It has a VFO Search Store option. Whereby it stores found signals into a memory bank. I wouldn't really advise messing around with it whilst driving. I've never used mine mobile, but there's no reason why not.
It's a great radio, but just like any radio, it needs a good antenna. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. I love mine.
M3ZYH

Postby mhm » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:00 pm

You mess whilst mobile expect to loose your licence and a hefty fine. Government coffers are low so the motorist is likely to be the party to make up Government funds.
Whistler TRX1, Uniden 396T, Icom R5,TSC100RA, Yaesu FTA-310
mhm

Return to DMR & Digital Modes