Which digital receiver?

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: Which digital receiver?

Postby deadite66 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:21 pm

Bought a BaoFeng DM-1801 off ebay, analogue (CTCSS/DCS) and DMR tier 1&2, not as fast scanning as a dedicated scanner but its ok for the price.
frustratingly after programming it with the windows software it will reset to chinese but after going through it a few times i can change it back quickly now.

so far pretty so good the software allows for enabling 'RX only' but haven't tried pressing PTT to test it won't TX yet (wouldn't want to risk blowing my SDR's frontends)

feels a pretty solid device and 5W TX capable.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole and a Cross Country Wireless (HF) Amplified Loop.
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Postby G4RMT » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:45 am

Why would you blow your receiver’s front end? Pressing a PTT on a handheld that has air between them has never caused any grief for me in over 40 years of radio.

I can’t believe you’ve never pressed that button, I know I did, before I got a licence. Didn’t have the willpower, and also a quick ptt prod was always the simplest way to stop a scan! The 1801s are nice radios. Mine don’t reset language though. That is odd.
G4RMT

Postby deadite66 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:07 pm

Well, i did install OpenGD77 on it earlier and tried PTT with low power on PMR446 DMR while watching it on my sdrplay, all is well so far and it doesn't keep changing language. :laughs:
but the audio i got back from dsdplus wasn't good hmm, receiving is still fine haven't heard any noise that some have had with opengd.

EDIT: never mind sorted the dmr choppyness, had gqrx channel bandwidth too narrow.
SDRplay RSP1A on a Marine tuned dipole (Rocket Radio MARI-1)
24/7 Marine recording with RTLSDR_Airband
Airspy R2 on a Discone
SDRPlay RSP2 Pro on a homebrew UHF dipole and a Cross Country Wireless (HF) Amplified Loop.
Yupiteru MVT-9000 MKII telescopic ant.
deadite66

Previous

Return to DMR & Digital Modes