TYT DM-UVF 10

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Re: TYT DM-UVF 10

Postby G4RMT » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Didn't mean to imply anything at all - I totally missed that you wanted to listen to other services - really sorry about that, and I figured the ham suggestion was sensible. It wasn't intended to offend - far from it! Just pointing out that the real problem is that it's practically unregulated, so any radio intended to be sophisticated and have plenty of programming features isn't much use, and Alan's mention of the DSD/dongle makes far better sense. I don't know where you got the idea I was somehow preaching on the legalities - my point being that these radios are not designed for the free for all in the license exempt band, I wasn't suggesting, and didn't say anything about people using the wrong equipment. Personally, if people don't annoy me I can't get into this snobby better than him viewpoint.

I just think that if you buy this radio (or any of them really) they won't help you listen to general use in that band. Since programming via the keyboard takes an eternity, the only sensible way is via the software, then a transfer, then no joy, so another tweak, and another - a rotten and time wasting way of working. When I use the word CB, I simply mean Citizen's Band - which is the only band set aside for any stranger to chat on. PMR446 isn't for that use, is it?

So there's no need to say all that - my fault was simply not realising you wanted to just monitor digital comms. I assumed, wrongly, that you wished to talk to them. I apologise for missing the explanation of what you wanted to do.

PS, just realised that you didn't mention this in this topic, and it was in another one. I didn't make the link between the two. I didn't realise the two topics were almost the same, so didn't go back on the other one - so the two separate occasions you mentioned it didn't stick in my mind. Sorry again.
G4RMT

Postby T2tim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:28 pm

ok no problem perhaps I also wrongly jumped to conclusions so iam sorry too. yes iam also aware there are a lot of people using chinese analogue radios on 446, infact the band has even been called the unofficial UHF CB system which is just madness. I have found this approved radio which is the first one ive found at a reasonable price. although with regards to chinese radios I dont think cheap always means bad, after all the TYT 380 has proved to be very good amoungst the amateur fraternity, ok so there are bugs but hey nothings perfect. Dpmr radios are cheaper still because no sod wants them in the UK apart from me perhaps lol. anyway here is the approved radio although iam wandering if it could be re-progammed to cover all 16 digital channels rather than 8 analogue and 8 digital so I will ask Nevada about that: http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/two-way-ra ... dland-d200
T2tim

Postby T2tim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:05 pm

forgot to mention iam not a car driver so an sdr dongle is not ideal for me cos a radio is portable and offers far better audio than any mobile device. and I want it for portability.
T2tim

Postby m0lsx » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:27 pm

T2tim wrote:although with regards to chinese radios I dont think cheap always means bad,

True cheap does not always mean bad. But most of these modern Chinese radios are cheap & nasty.
The older Chinese radios had their issues, but nothing like the UV-5r, which is probably the most popular of the cheap modern radios. The front end is wide open, which is a very very common modern Chinese radio issue due to poor design & one which means they are terrible receivers. Add in the fact that the audio on the 5r is accepted to be quiet & poor & that makes them poor on both transmit & receive.
Then add in the fact that most of the modern transceivers produce a whole bag of unwanted signals every time the PTT is keyed & that makes them stupid to use on anything but a small antenna, especially with a front end that finds it hard to cope on a small handheld antenna.
A better antenna on a dirty transmitter makes the unwanted signals more of an issue.
I have & I do use cheap radios. I have no issue with an imperfect radio. But we need to know their issues, buy the best performing & use them in the correct circumstances.
The modern cheap Chinese radios do not perform well in crowded spectrum due to their poor front ends, so generally are best used on the antennas they came with & not in urban areas.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby G4RMT » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 pm

dPMR are cheaper I think, because the market for digital radios is wide - so like back in the VHS and Betamax days, there's a choice to make. I expect Sony kicked themselves for years for inventing VHS and Betamax, and then deciding to let JVC and Matsushita have the rights to VHS while Sony concentrated on Beta.
I think dPMR and DMR are simply different, not better or worse - and a different feature set. I think I could give most of my customers either. At the moment I'm not even that interested in a keypad, a straight on/off channel change would do me fine. The full featured versions are for my use, too complicated. I can't yet justify the cost of a repeater.

I'm not even worried by the radios being single band. As I'm away from home until January, I'm having a DMR sent here to Belfast for me to play with, but a quick listen suggests there's nothing to listen to at all!
G4RMT

Postby T2tim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Yeah the front end on the Uvr5 is smashing lol I know cos ive got one. Its ironic that about the worst one of the lot is so popular. Although Its not a major issue where iam cos I live in a small town. Ive tried it in Birmingham though and its quite an experience! You dont need to scan cos you get everything on the same frequency so beats the pants of dual watch or even tri watch for that matter. Its just all wong really
T2tim

Postby T2tim » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:15 pm

Does anyone know how you get these radios to scan in VFO mode? Supposed to be the
red button but its not working for me!
T2tim

Previous

Return to DMR & Digital Modes