Digital scanners

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

Digital scanners

Postby popidol1982 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Has anyone had first hand experience with digital scanning? I'm new to all the digital stuff, so I have come here for some advice. What scanners are out there to buy? I have heard of P25 is that in the uk or just the us?
What's the best type of scanner to buy to pick up all digital frequencies? I obviously know that I will not be able to pick up encrypted Tetra.
Who mostly use digital now? Can digital scanners be used with a discone? Can I use my original discone that I use with my analogue scanner?

Soooo many questions to ask

I will be doing some googling as we'll..... :?
popidol1982

Re: Digital scanners

Postby SilverShadow » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:06 pm

There are a few digital scanners out there from the likes of Uniden and Gre but they are aimed at the american market and cover the popular american modes.

This one looks nice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsO5KjZDrXg

P25 means APCO-25 which is big in america but not so big over here although there is limited use. At the moment you need a scanner connected to the pc with a discriminator tap and software available free on the net to listen to the modes most popular in the uk which are tetra, mototrbo and Kenwood Nexedge

None of the digital scanners at the moment will do the uk popular modes but dsd will decode mototrbo/nexedge/p25 and Osmocom software will decode tetra (non encrypted) transmissions but not tetra airwave (encrypted)

The other popular digital mode in the uk is D-Star but at the moment you need another D-Star radio to tune in on that.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby m0lsx » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 am

Radio amateurs run a lot of different digital modes..The International space Station runs SSTV (Slow Scan TV) which is a very popular mode, then there is Olivia, PSK, Whisper & a whole pile of others..Most are easily available as free software & if you want to monitor the ISS on 145.800, then SSTV could be worth having.
Airwave (the Police encoded Tetra system) has also recently been broken, but it's not as open source as some would have you believe..But it can be done if you know the right people..Or the wrong people if you consider it is illegal & would not make you at all popular if the paranoid people in control knew you had it.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby SilverShadow » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:31 am

m0lsx wrote:Airwave (the Police encoded Tetra system) has also recently been broken, but it's not as open source as some would have you believe..But it can be done if you know the right people..Or the wrong people if you consider it is illegal & would not make you at all popular if the paranoid people in control knew you had it.

Yep, they have things like GCHQ, where along with ciphering and deciphering they not only tap in and listen to UK citizens private and personal telephone calls (amongst other things) but they also allow The USA to listen in to our private conversations too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2004/feb/27/usa.iraq

Yet if someone was to tune in one them and hear them doing something mundane like a traffic stop or parking ticket then they will really get in a huff about it :lol:

Going back to Tetra, 'Tetra' (unencrypted) has been cracked and is in the public domain via osmocom, 'Tetra Airwave' (encrypted) has not though and probably never will.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby 2E0KCE » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:36 pm

As you say GCHQ listen in to all the calls made in the UK The Yanks listen in via a facility at Menwith Hill..Every call is logged they have a list of certain words and phrases that trigger "alarms" and these calls are then recorded..(Yes Big Bro IS watching) this has been a source of argument for many years along the Civil Liberties route the Yanks counter with we are protecting our interests..
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE...IT ALL HURTS
2E0KCE

Postby sammy3417 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 pm

I have a digital scanner (pro 106) very good radio and I use it to listen to a APCO25 system not far from where I live... Its very good, even better in bad weather. I would take the advise on a tap for your radio, but DSD isn't very good on the APCO25 system, very patchy, and distorted! On MOTOTRBO?! I've seen videos on YouTube and going by these its pretty good. I have a MOTOTRBO system in my area and I have a UBC3300XLT with a tap, but I can get it going, sounds very garbled I think this may be down to encryption!?!

Digital scanning is good tho! ;)
sammy3417

Postby SilverShadow » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:52 pm

sammy3417 wrote:sounds very garbled I think this may be down to encryption!?!

Sammy are you getting a constant garbled sound when it's transmitting, or do you only get it when they speak? If it's constant then you might be running it in the wrong polarity which is a quick easy fix.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby sammy3417 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:07 am

SilverShadow wrote:
sammy3417 wrote:sounds very garbled I think this may be down to encryption!?!

Sammy are you getting a constant garbled sound when it's transmitting, or do you only get it when they speak? If it's constant then you might be running it in the wrong polarity which is a quick easy fix.

Hi Buddy,

The garbled sound is with voice! I've tried switching the polarity! I was told it could have been my pc, but I have tried it on 4 pretty decent computers now and I get the same problems. Ill be giving it another go later so I'll keep you posted

Thanks
sammy3417

Postby Staffs Paul » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:05 pm

2E0KCE wrote:As you say GCHQ listen in to all the calls made in the UK The Yanks listen in via a facility at Menwith Hill..

Also on this subject and quite funny. Menwith Hill themselves can be listened to with a uniden digital scanner or DSD (they use P25)
Staffs Paul

Postby jester » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:02 pm

has any one found the colour code for 453.0875 uk yet
jester

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes