AOR DV-1......

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

AOR DV-1......

Postby Fires999 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:33 am

Morning ,
Seen an ad in Practical Wireless for Waters and Stanton with photo and brief details for DV-1...saying keep checking website for release date......do we have any remote idea on price ? Am I looking at getting 6 plus the bonus ball at the weekend to pay for it ? Do you think anyone will bring out a affordable handheld that decodes with details eg like Bearcat displaying ctccs code etc ?
Just wondered......
thanks, Kevin

***apologies, just seen similar question thread in another section of forum....sorry :wink:
Fires999

Re: AOR DV-1......

Postby Staffs Paul » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:55 am

The price is the question on everybodys mind at the moment. AOR have a history and rep for being costly and there has been a lot of r&d gone into it so I think it will be expensive at first so they can get top price off those really wanting one and then they will lower it to make it more affordable and realistic. The more affordable and realistic price may still be above most peoples budget though sadly including my own.
Staffs Paul

Postby stonosnr » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:09 pm

It has also been advertised in RadCom in the April edition. Just received the May publication, and the advert has disappeared. Could be many reasons for this, I interpret this as it isn't appearing any time soon! It will be interesting to see if the advert continues to appear in PW / SWM when future issues arrive. Maybe W&S were a bit premature with their advertising and are getting earache from constant calls for further information!
stonosnr

Postby m0lsx » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Wallace & Gromit could also have advertised it as soon to arrive, just to see what interest it would generate.
I would imagine they do not want to either over or under order when it does become available.
Buy a database from Kimmy JS19 via http://ukscanningdirectory.co.uk/
Or do Google search of this forum via http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=partner-pub-6291336405621919:2662881632
73 De Alan (M0LSX.)
http://www.qrz.com/db/M0LSX"
m0lsx

Postby stonosnr » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Expected to arrive in the UK in Sept, see W & S or ML&S websites. The expected price is confusing, W & S don't say whether their price includes VAT, ML&S are quite a bit dearer but do state that this does include VAT! However, if you add 20% to the W & S "expected" price, it is still £120 cheaper! Would have thought they would be a bit closer to each other, so maybe one of them has got it slightly wrong!.
stonosnr

Postby Neil57uk » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Understand this is base station so not a lot of use unless you happen to be beside a power supply.

Any idea if a more practical mobile version will follow?
Neil57uk

Postby FreqFreak » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:42 am

I'm happy to let the 'early adopters' pay for the research and dev on this, hopefully cheaper versions will come along in due course
FreqFreak

Postby stonosnr » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:27 am

I've edited this post after looking at the websites this morning! Both are now identical prices! ML&S have updated their price, to be paid in full on ordering, to the same as that quoted on the W&S website. As ML&S conveniently quote both with and without VAT, you can see now that W & S are just stating the inc VAT price, and taking a deposit which will be credited to your balance!
My theory over the years is that we usually pay roughly whatever the amount is in $ when released in the USA in UK £'s when it arrives here. It appears that this "rough conversion" is still valid!
stonosnr

Postby benw18 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:56 am

I've got to be honest I don't see the point in spending that amount of money on a scanner that decodes digital. At the end of the day a laptop and scanner with a disc tap, or dongle can decode digital signals.

As soon as you fall upon a system with any form of privacy it becomes useless, so you aren't actually gaining anything. If you have systems that are privacy free buy a cheap DMR portable and programme the info in...

Sorry to 'shoot this down' but there are some developments in the DMR pipeline that will render this scanner null and void in the not too distant future. £1500+ for something that offers very limited functionality is not justified in my opinion.
Force-Com Communications
Accredited Motorola Channel Partner EMEA
benw18

Postby Alfie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:41 pm

benw18 wrote:I've got to be honest I don't see the point in spending that amount of money on a scanner that decodes digital. At the end of the day a laptop and scanner with a disc tap, or dongle can decode digital signals.

At first i was thinking the same too but after speaking about it with someone else looking at it i am now tempted.

AOR have always been expensive so i was not expecting a £299.99 Uniden type of price. £1199 is probably what was roughly expected at first release and hopefully this will go down a little bit. so then we are left to look at the scanner itself......

so i think they released it before it was ready at first especially as it didnt silence the digital noise etc but they have and continue to fix and improve this unit by software updates and this is a beautiful thing. Those who bought one of these early and had the new buggy version that didnt have squelch silence on digital etc but now with updates that is fixed and aor continue to issue updates so there is more to expect from a unit in the future.

Then you have to bear in mind this is a full range hf to ghz analogue and digital scanner. the only dmr digital scanner available with an open squelch. Not only this but you cannot get a dmr radio available that will do open squelch to hear users without complicated info obtained from dmr decode. if you have the time to go the long route and run sdr and dsd along with dmr decode and a dongle to finally get the info to program a dmr radio then you still need 3 dmr radios to cover the vhf and uhf bands as there are no triple or even dual band radios.

For these reasons i am waiting a few weeks to see if the Price goes down and then probably buying one. dsd is alright but ties you to a computer and software and a dongle etc.

benw18 wrote:Sorry to 'shoot this down' but there are some developments in the DMR pipeline that will render this scanner null and void in the not too distant future.

People have been waiting years now for a dmr scanner to come out and this is all there is with no sign of any other in the pipeline. And you have said many a time that dsd etc is useless due to the new software and encryption and firmware etc. but you forget this is not just about your area of mototrbo but this scanner will monitor d-star, apco, dpmr etc and appeal to a lot more people than you think who dont care if the local town center cleaners are using encryption :wink:
Alfie

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes