AOR DV1

Forum for DMR, dPMR, NEXEDGE, Mototrbo, MARC, Tetra & all other DIGITAL modes

AOR DV1

Postby Spitallane » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi all
Just received my DV1 about a week ago ,got to say its a really nice quality radio,only little problem I have is with the scanning speed on AUTO which is the digital mode it scans very slow.

I emailed AOR Japan about the issue they emailed me back the next day saying in the next few days there will be a firm ware update regarding the scanning speed got say I believe AOR is committed to making the radio a world class leader
Thumbs up from me .
Spitallane

Re: AOR DV1

Postby SilverShadow » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:51 pm

Good to hear your happy with it and really glad to hear that the scan speed will be improved. I'm on the latest version 1508B and it's a good receiver for DMR. It's really nice to hear the digital noise come through on another scanner and then be able to just put in the frequency and listen on the AR-DV1.
SilverShadow
Site Admin

Postby Minus1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:29 am

Are you able to set the specific digital mode by channel? And if so does that resolve the scan speed?
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Postby Spitallane » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:38 am

Hi
I've downloaded the latest firmware update the scan speed in Auto is fast and in any mode selected the receiver scans fast
So everything is ok. Hope that helps
Spitallane

Postby gazza » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi,

As a potential purchaser of this radio, would you like to hazard a guess at the % of encrypted v unencrypted DMR users you have monitored so far?

Cheers,

Gazza
gazza

Postby Alfie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:31 pm

I find in my area about 20% of dmr using encryption. this is from using dsd though not the aor dv1.

can i ask where you both bought yours from as i am also a potential purchaser but see a lot of varying prices ?
Alfie

Postby jimh » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:07 pm

>a guess at the % of encrypted v unencrypted DMR
I'd assess there is a close relationship between encryption and DMR Tier III trunked systems (capacity plus), that are replacing the multi-user conventional and/or trunked analogue ComReps, and run by the major radio suppliers across the country. I'd say most of these have enhanced privacy enabled as standard. Conversely I've seen little use of encryption on the private conventional Tier II systems, though I'm sure that number will grow in time.
jimh

Postby benw18 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:39 am

Capacity Plus is not DMR Tier 3, it is Tier 2.

Enhanced privacy has a detrimental effect on audio quality (admitted openly by Motorola), thus it is very rarely used. Basic privacy combined with RAS (Restricted Access to System) is currently a highly secure combination... Of course for the super security conscious/requirements there is the option for AES256 encryption as a purchasable EID (key).

It is only a matter of time before Motorola changes the game and makes basic privacy (or similar concept) a standard function- eliminating the option as to whether or not transmissions are encrypted. This then forces suppliers to install AES (£££ for Motorola) if there is the need for multi-manufacturer compatability on a system. Motorola recently took steps in a firmware update to make a codeplug password 'un-sniffable' using a very simple method, this was both a security measure (to protect the radio's content from an unauthorised access) and also to protect the suppliers programming, which in some cases can take hours if not days of work to compile- especially on large Cap+ and LCP systems.

Dealers and Motorola (and other manufacturers) are fully aware of DSD, DMR Decode and AOR's entry into digital scanning and are taking steps to reduce the ease of accessing systems, both from an RX and TX perspective- hence the introduction of RAS. I guarantee in less than 3 years time any up to date DMR system will be borderline impossible to monitor/hijack.

The times are changing and people have come to expect security in everything they do... I don't have the right to work out someone's email account password and have a browse through their email, even if all of their emails are 'boring'- which strangely enough most conversations conducted over a DMR radio system are boring! People have had to accept the fact that they can't monitor blue light services anymore and like I say, it's only a matter of time before the same happens to DMR.
Force-Com Communications
Accredited Motorola Channel Partner EMEA
benw18

Postby 26PMR » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Ok all of the topics you reply to is just on encrypted DMR which seems a little suspicious.

well there is no point in encryption on most services for example there isn't going to be much harm if a bus company is listened via DSD or a digital scanner, yes interfering is an issue which is why RAS is a good idea but there's no point in encrypting things if they are not needed t be encrypted its just a waste and is what is killing the scanning hobby.
26PMR

Postby Minus1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:30 pm

It's basic paranoia. There was never any evidence that open communications created any problem, but that didn't stop the hysteria. What is worrying is that it reducing public accountability. At least in the US they have a constitution to fall back on, here we have no such protection.
I reserve the right to ignore people who have made no attempt to the read the manual, and expect others to do it for them.
Minus1

Next

Return to DMR & Digital Modes